Oromoni: Family rejects DPP’s report, appeals to Buhari for justice - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Oromoni: Family rejects DPP’s report, appeals to Buhari for justice

Published

on

Sylvester Oromoni

The family of Sylvester Oromoni, Jnr, has rejected the report of the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecution, DPP, which absolved staff and some students of Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos of complicity in the death of their son.

They have also called on President Muhammadu Buhari, civil rights groups and individuals who stand for justice to ensure that justice is done in the matter.

In a statement made available to Vanguard on Wednesday by the father of the deceased, Mr Sylvester Oromoni, Snr, the family also alleged gang up by some persons to frustrate the matter and stand justice on its head.

“My attention has been drawn to the legal advice dated the 4th day of January 2022 on the untimely and brutal death of my beloved son, Sylvester Oromoni, Jnr, who died on the 30th day of November 2021.

“I am appalled by the said legal advice dated the 4th day of January 2022 being circulated on social media as a copy was not obliged to us despite several requests for same.

“Be that as it may, I am not surprised with the content of the said legal advice because the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Mr Hakeem Odumosu, who had earlier preempted the report on the 31st day of December 2021 when he said that at the instance of the Governor, Attorney-General and Director of Public Prosecution of Lagos State, the investigation had been concluded and that those arrested in connection with the murder had no case to answer and thereby exonerated.

READ ALSO:

“You could recall that on the 21st day of December 2021, a Magistrate’s Court in Yaba, Lagos presided over by Mrs Olatunbosun Adeola granted the five suspects bail even though the DPP Advice was yet to be issued. Our findings from both the Commissioner of Police and Deputy Commissioner of Police, SCID, Panti denied being aware of the release of the five suspects.

“The Commissioner of Police further maintained that they were yet to conclude their investigation, hence the issue of bail would not have arisen. It may interest you to know that the suspects were ordered to be remanded by the police for 21 days by the same Magistrate’s Court to have a proper investigation.

“It is my belief and a shame on the Lagos State Government to have allowed this kind of gang up against an innocent boy who died as a result of negligence from the management of Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos. There is a clear oral statement from my son before he died and his schoolmates that he was tortured and given an unknown substance suspected to be poison which led to his death.

“The management of Dowen College, Lekki Lagos has always claimed that my late son sustained the injury while playing football. All evidence gathered so far has shown that this is not the true story but a way to cover up their negligence. Based on the outcome of the autopsy report which contradicts the story of Dowen College, it is my firm belief that there is a conspiracy among the officials of Lagos State Government and the Nigeria Police Force, Lagos State Command to cover up the circumstances surrounding the gruesome death of my son, late Sylvester Oromoni Jnr.

“It is disheartening that in the DPP advice, the State of Lagos claims that the five suspects have no case to answer. The germane question to ask, in whose custody was my late son Sylvester Oromoni Jnr. at all material times when the substance was forcefully administered to him?

“Finally, I call on the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Inspector General of Police, the Chairman National Human Rights Commission, civil society groups, International Human Right Groups and the general public to help me get Justice as the turn of events has clearly shown that justice is being tampered with.

“I have instructed my team of lawyers led by Mr Femi Falana, SAN, to take all necessary steps within the purview of the law to get justice for my son Sylvester Oromoni Jnr.”

Vanguard

metro

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Published

on

Mercy Johnson-Okojie
Mercy Johnson-Okojie

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.

The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.

According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.

READ ALSO:

Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.

Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.

The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.

Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Continue Reading

metro

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Published

on

Nigerian military troop
Nigerian military troop

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.

Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.

Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.

READ ALSO:

Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.

The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.

In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.

Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.

Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Published

on

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

 

The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.

The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.

In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.

“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.

Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.

The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.

Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.

During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.

According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.

Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.

She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.

As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending