metro
Osun soldiers torture, force man to eat vomit, abandon corpse
The family of a car dealer, Adeyinka Adekunle, have called on the Osun State Police Command and the military authorities to bring his killers to book after he was tortured to death by soldiers at the Nigerian Army Barracks, Ibodi, Osun State.
The victim’s father, 79-year-old Pa David Adekunle, lamented that none of the officers involved in the killing had been brought to book since the incident happened.
The torture was allegedly carried out on the orders of one Lt. Tobi Akindapo.
PUNCH Metro gathered that Adeyinka and a friend, Solomon Ogundare, went to a beer parlour at Imo, Ilesa, on Thursday, March 24.
While the duo were drinking, they were approached by three men who solicited drinks from them.
Adeyinka and his friends, however, refused, saying they did not have money to buy extra drinks.
Our correspondents learnt that the men, who were soldiers, were not in uniform.
The youngest among them, said to be in his 20s, later queried Ogundare for slacking his trousers.
READ ALSO:
- Train attack: Terrorists release fresh video of kidnap victims
- As war enters bloody new phase, Ukraine again calls for more weapons
- Gbajabiamila launches App for tracking legislators’ performances
Adeyinka, 37, was said to have rebuffed him, questioning his authority to correct his friend’s dressing.
The matter was said to have led to exchange of words between the two groups.
As the altercation degenerated, one of the three men made a call to the barracks and soldiers stormed the scene.
However, while Adeyinka escaped from the area, his friend was caught and taken to the barracks, where he was tortured and locked up in a cell.
A Lexus 250 car belonging to Adeyinka which he drove to the beer parlour was reportedly vandalised and towed to the barracks.
Ogundare’s sister, Elizabeth Itunu, said she spoke to the soldiers during a visit to the barracks and they demanded N500,000 for the release of the car.
She said, “The soldiers said we would have to pay the money they used to tow the vehicle. I called Adeyinka and told him their demand. He thought the soldiers would not recognise him because the fracas happened at night.
“As we were both begging the soldiers, one of them identified him and that was how they seized him and started beating him in my presence. My brother was also tortured as well.
“So, I told the soldiers that now that you have beaten them, can you allow us take them for treatment? They did not listen. Instead, the young soldier who started the fight the previous night said he had not beaten them and he would start his own the following day.
“After much begging, they agreed to take N200,000 from us. I asked Adeyinka how much he had, and he said N40,000.
“We gathered N140,000 and I begged the soldiers to take the money and release them to us that night, and when we completed the payment, they could release the car; but they refused.”
Itunnu said she and a few other friends returned home without either Adeyinka or Ogundare, who were locked up in the guardroom.
READ ALSO:
- Osinbajo to APC governors: I’m running for president
- Lawmaker, others injured as thugs attack PDP meeting in Enugu
- I advised late Osinachi to leave her violent husband — Producer
The following day, she returned to the barracks and met the two men cutting grass as the soldiers whipped and kicked them.
“I observed that Adeyinka was very weak. He suddenly fell. They thought he was pretending and they started hitting him. When they saw that he was not moving, they checked his body and their boss said he should be rushed to a hospital,” she added.
Itunnu explained that her brother was put in the army truck, saying she later heard that the car dealer died before he got to a hospital.
“At that point, I became afraid as I saw that my brother was not breathing well. Their commander asked us to take my brother to a hospital as well.
“My brother told me that while he and Adeyinka were in the guardroom, he (Adeyinka) vomited. The soldiers then ordered him to start eating the vomit,” she stated.
The deceased’s father, Pa David, said he was informed that his son was taken to a police station when he visited the barracks.
“I went to the Ayeso Police Division and the police said they did not see any soldier. One of the policemen said I should go to Wesley Guild Hospital, Ilesa. On getting to the hospital, I was referred to the mortuary.
“At the mortuary, they said soldiers brought a corpse, but they rejected it and demanded to see a police report. They said they were forced to take the body. They brought out the body and it turned out to be my son,” he added.
He accused the Osu Divisional Police Officer, Akinsanya Ebenezer, who had jurisdiction over the matter, of attempting to bury the case.
READ ALSO:
- Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna
- Late Osinachi’s Husband Arrested As Nigerians Rise Against Domestic Violence
- Soyinka accuses Ganduje of hypocrisy over atheist’s imprisonment
The septuagenarian said he later reported the case at the police headquarters, Osogbo.
PUNCH Metro also learnt that the family had written a petition to the police and the army, demanding the arrest and prosecution of those involved in the murder.
“My son was buying and selling vehicles. He was my last child and my only son. He and his wife just had their first child, who is just two months old. I insist that the soldier that killed my son should be handed over to the police to face prosecution,” he added.
Akindapo could not be reached on his mobile phone, as he had yet to respond to a text message from our correspondents as of the time of filing this report.
The Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Yemisi Opalola, confirmed that a soldier approached the Ayeso division, seeking assistance to enable him to deposit a corpse in the morgue.
She said, “But the police did not give him any operative to accompany him. The DPO only called the morgue and spoke to people there. That was the only police involvement.”
The spokesperson for 2 Division, Nigerian Army, Ibadan, Major Ikedichi Iweha, said investigation had commenced into the incident.
He said, “Our official position is that investigation has already commenced and appropriate action would be taken after the investigation.”
PUNCH
metro
Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger
Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger
Security agencies in Niger State have arrested a village head and 33 other suspects following the killing of Police Constable Emmanuel Shamsi and the burning of an NSCDC patrol vehicle during a violent confrontation linked to illegal mining activities in Zuzungi, Katcha Local Government Area.
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Niger State Command, confirmed the arrests, stating that 34 suspects are now in custody. Nineteen of the suspects were apprehended at the village head’s residence in Zuzungi Gwari, Kataeregi, where they had sought refuge after the incident. The remaining fifteen suspects were intercepted while attempting to flee the community.
The deadly incident occurred last Wednesday during a joint security patrol involving the NSCDC, Nigeria Police Force (NPF), and the local Anti-Drugs Control (ADC) outfit. The patrol was conducted in the mining area operated by Millennium Metals Mining Company, as part of ongoing efforts to curb illegal mining and mineral smuggling in the state.
READ ALSO:
- NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
- Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening
- Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
According to NSCDC Commandant Suberu Siyaka Aniviye, the security team intercepted individuals allegedly involved in illegal mining and the smuggling of minerals, but the suspects violently resisted. The confrontation escalated, leading to the destruction of an NSCDC patrol Hilux vehicle and the tragic death of Police Constable Emmanuel Shamsi in the line of duty. Security personnel tactically withdrew to prevent further casualties before launching an operation to apprehend the perpetrators.
Authorities describe the arrest of the village head and 33 others as part of a broader crackdown on criminal elements in Niger State’s mining communities. The arrests aim to ensure that justice is served for the slain officer and to reinforce lawful compliance within the solid minerals sector.
The incident has sparked condemnation from government officials, including Dr. Dele Alake, Minister of Solid Minerals Development, who described the killing as “criminal murder” and assured that security and intelligence agencies are on high alert. He further pledged that violent resistance to lawful mining operations will not be tolerated.
Illegal mining in northern Nigeria has increasingly resulted in violent confrontations with security forces, highlighting the risks faced by law enforcement and the need for stronger enforcement and community engagement to curb criminal activities. Investigations into the role of each suspect are ongoing as authorities prepare legal proceedings against those involved.
Village Head, 33 Others Arrested Over Police Officer’s Death in Niger
metro
Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
The Federal Government has dismissed claims that the Nigeria Tax Act 2025 imposes a 25% tax on building materials, construction-related funds, business expenses, or money in bank accounts. The government described the viral video circulating on social media as false and misleading, adding that the law, which has already taken effect, does not postpone implementation until 2027.
Taiwo Oyedele, Chairman of the Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee, said the misinformation misrepresents the objectives of the Tax Act, which are to lower housing costs, support real estate development, and encourage economic growth. He clarified that the video’s claims — that the law would start in 2027 and impose a 25% levy on construction transactions — are both inaccurate.
Under the new law, several housing and construction reliefs have been introduced. Land and buildings are exempt from Value Added Tax (VAT) under Section 185(l), while contractors can recover VAT on materials and services, reducing overall construction expenses. The Withholding Tax (WHT) rate on construction contracts has been lowered to 2%, improving cash flow for developers. Individuals building owner-occupied homes can deduct mortgage interest, and property owners earning rental income may deduct expenses such as repairs, insurance, and agency fees. These provisions are designed to make housing projects more affordable and attractive to investors.
READ ALSO:
- Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire
- FBI Probe Continues as Ex‑Church Minister Who Confessed to Child Abuse Remains Free
- Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe
The Act also offers direct support for renters and low-income earners. Eligible tenants can claim rent relief of up to ₦500,000, equivalent to 20% of annual rent, while rent payments are fully exempt from VAT. Lease agreements below ₦10 million per year, or less than ten times the national minimum wage, are also exempt from stamp duty. These measures are expected to increase disposable income for low-income households and reduce the financial burden of housing.
Incentives under the Act extend to investors and businesses in the construction and real estate sectors. Individuals are exempt from Capital Gains Tax when selling a dwelling house or interest in one. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) distributing at least 75% of dividends or rental income within 12 months are exempt from Companies Income Tax. Manufacturers of building materials, including iron, steel, and domestic appliances, may qualify for tax holidays of up to 10 years, while large businesses could see Companies Income Tax reduced from 30% to 25%. These provisions are intended to encourage investment, stimulate local production, and support the growth of the housing sector.
The Tax Act also includes provisions that relieve workers and small businesses. The taxable value of employer-provided accommodation is capped at 20% of an employee’s annual gross income, excluding rental value. Small companies that qualify under the Act will pay 0% Companies Income Tax, are exempt from charging VAT, and are not required to deduct Withholding Tax from invoices and payments. These measures reduce the compliance burden on smaller businesses and support entrepreneurship.
The committee also clarified what the Act does not include. It does not tax money in bank accounts, does not impose 25% taxes on construction costs or building materials, and does not delay implementation until 2027. Officials described claims suggesting otherwise as misleading and urged Nigerians to rely on verified government sources for accurate information. According to the committee, the Tax Act is intended to make housing more affordable, reduce rent, and stimulate economic growth, not to increase taxes on citizens or businesses.
Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
metro
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
Barely 24 hours after armed bandits attacked communities in Patigi Local Government Area and Edu Local Government Area, suspected terrorists on Sunday night carried out a fresh attack on Share, the headquarters of Ifelodun Local Government Area, forcing residents to flee for safety.
The attack reportedly occurred around 8:00 pm, when heavily armed gunmen stormed the town and began shooting indiscriminately, throwing the community into panic and confusion. Residents said the sustained gunfire lasted for a prolonged period, prompting many families to abandon their homes and seek refuge in neighbouring areas.
Eyewitnesses, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the assailants appeared to be on a targeted mission, allegedly searching for specific individuals. One resident claimed the gunmen were looking for a person identified as Zulu Alfa Dako, adding that the attackers entered the town from a nearby axis.
“Kidnappers have entered Share; everyone is running for safety,” a resident said. “They kept shooting endlessly and the whole town was thrown into chaos.”
READ ALSO:
- DSS Probes El-Rufai’s Claim of Toxic Chemical Import by Ribadu
- Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections
- Osun PDP Lawmakers Endorse Tinubu for 2027, Back Adeleke Re-Election
Another resident, overwhelmed by fear, said while the attackers targeted some individuals, it was still unclear whether anyone was abducted during the operation.
“The gunmen entered the town and caused havoc by shooting non-stop. I don’t know if anyone has been kidnapped yet,” the resident said.
Efforts to get immediate comments from the Kwara State Police Command spokesperson, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, were unsuccessful as of press time.
However, the Kwara State Government later confirmed that the attackers were repelled by security forces. The Special Assistant on Communication to Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, Ibrahim Abdullateef, said combined security operatives swiftly responded to distress calls and engaged the gunmen.
“Local security sources have reported that bandits that were reportedly attacking Share community, Ifelodun LGA, have been successfully repelled by combined security forces,” Abdullateef said in an update.
He added that the exchange of gunfire lasted for about one hour, noting that no death or abduction has been officially recorded so far, though security agencies are still monitoring the situation.
The latest attack came against the backdrop of rising insecurity in Kwara State, following bandit raids on communities in Edu and Patigi LGAs, where four people were kidnapped and several others injured. The back-to-back attacks have heightened fear among residents and renewed calls for stronger security presence, improved intelligence gathering, and sustained patrols across vulnerable communities.
Residents Flee as Gunmen Launch Fresh Attack on Kwara Community
-
Education22 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News13 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News24 hours agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoCourt Orders DIA to Produce Cleric Accused of Coup Plot by February 18
-
metro24 hours agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
-
metro23 hours agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu


