Measles kills 14 children in Anambra - Newstrends
Connect with us

Health

Measles kills 14 children in Anambra

Published

on

The Anambra State government has confirmed the death of 14 children from measles outbreak in nine local government areas of the state.

Commissioner for Health Dr Afam Obidike announced the figure at a news conference in Awka yesterday.

He said that 414 cases of measles were recorded in nine local government areas in the state.

Obidike listed the affected local government areas as Anambra East, Anambra West, Ayamelum, Ihiala, Idemili North, Nnewi North, Onitsha North, Njikoka, and Oyi.

The commissioner said that support from World Health Organisation (WHO) and United Nations Children’s Fund helped the state to curtail the spread.

“In March, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) alerted us of measles outbreak in nine LGAs in the state. We contacted the WHO) and UNICEF to assist us curtail further spread of the disease.

READ ALSO:

“The disease spread from nine LGAs to 13 LGAs but with the help of WHO, we activated surveillance and our emergency response team in the affected LGAs and wards.

“Unfortunately, we recorded case fatalities. We lost about 14 children to the Measles outbreak out of 414 cases we had.

“It is something we need to be mindful of because the case fatality is high, about 48 per cent,” he said.

He said 19,609 unvaccinated children from age zero to 59 months had been vaccinated.

The commissioner said that the surrounding communities of the nine local government areas were also vaccinated to prevent the spread of the disease.

He identified the impact of COVID-19 which affected routine immunisation in the state in 2021 as the major reason for the outbreak.

“We also noticed that people living in clusters, poor environmental hygiene practices and poor uptake of vaccine were the other causes of the outbreak in the affected areas.

“We have contacted the Ministries  of Environment and Water Resources, to improve environmental hygiene and water supply in those affected areas.

“We will also intensify social mobilisation to encourage residents to receive vaccination. We have activated routine immunisation in the state to prevent future outbreaks,” he said.

Health

Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC

Published

on

lassa fever

Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC

Nigeria is facing a rising Lassa fever outbreak in 2026, with 15 deaths recorded in the first week of February, pushing the total fatalities from confirmed cases to 51 between the first and sixth epidemiological weeks, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has reported. This reflects the continued severity of the viral haemorrhagic disease. The 15 deaths reported between February 2 and 8 translate to a Case Fatality Rate (CFR) of 21.3 per cent, higher than the 19.4 per cent recorded during the same period in 2025, despite a decline in overall suspected cases compared to last year.

Two healthcare workers were also infected in week six of the outbreak, highlighting the ongoing risks faced by frontline responders. Cumulative data for 2026 show 1,034 suspected cases, 240 confirmed cases, and four probable cases, spread across 10 states and 42 Local Government Areas (LGAs). For comparison, during the same period in 2025, Nigeria recorded 1,913 suspected cases, 413 confirmed infections, and 80 deaths across 11 states and 63 LGAs, showing a reduction in suspected cases but persistence of high fatality rates.

READ ALSO:

In the latest reporting week alone, 15 deaths occurred from 74 confirmed infections out of 271 suspected cases, resulting in a weekly CFR of 20.3 per cent. Confirmed cases increased from 44 in epidemiological week 5 to 74 in week 6, indicating a week-on-week rise in infections. The new confirmed cases were reported across eight statesTaraba, Ondo, Bauchi, Edo, Benue, Nasarawa, Kogi, and Ebonyi — affecting 24 LGAs.

Data analysis shows that 89 per cent of confirmed infections in 2026 are concentrated in four high-burden states: Bauchi (38%), Taraba (22%), Ondo (20%), and Edo (9%), while the remaining 11 per cent of cases were reported from six other states. The outbreak predominantly affects people aged 21 to 30 years, although cases range from 1 to 74 years, with a median age of 29 years. The male-to-female ratio among confirmed cases stands at approximately 1:0.7.

To manage the outbreak, the NCDC has activated the National Lassa Fever Multi-Partner, Multi-Sectoral Incident Management System (IMS) to coordinate surveillance, case management, laboratory support, and risk communication across affected states. The agency has urged citizens to adopt preventive measures such as improving sanitation and hygiene, practicing rodent control, ensuring early presentation of suspected cases at health facilities, and cooperating with public health authorities. The NCDC emphasised that timely intervention, early treatment with Ribavirin, and community awareness are critical to reducing fatalities and containing the outbreak.

Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC

Continue Reading

Health

Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting

Published

on

Ramadan Health Tips

Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting

Staying hydrated during Ramadan is essential for maintaining energy, focus, and overall well-being while observing long hours of fasting. Health experts warn that poor hydration can lead to fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and reduced concentration. Below are six essential, numbered tips to help you stay properly hydrated throughout the holy month:

1. Drink Enough Water Between Iftar and Suhoor
Ensure you consume 6–8 glasses of water between Iftar and Suhoor. Spread your intake gradually instead of drinking large amounts at once, allowing your body to absorb fluids effectively.

2. Break Your Fast With Water
Start Iftar with water to quickly replace fluids lost during the day and prepare your digestive system for food. Avoid sugary or carbonated drinks at this stage, as they can increase thirst later.

READ ALSO:

3. Eat Water-Rich Foods
Include fruits and vegetables with high water content, such as watermelon, oranges, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and soups. These foods support hydration while providing essential nutrients.

4. Reduce Salty, Spicy, and Fried Foods
Limit foods high in salt, oil, and spices, especially at Suhoor, as they increase thirst and can cause dehydration during fasting hours.

5. Limit Caffeine Intake
Reduce consumption of coffee, tea, and energy drinks, as caffeine has a diuretic effect that causes the body to lose more fluids. If taken, balance it with extra water.

6. Never Skip Suhoor
Suhoor plays a crucial role in hydration and energy. Eat a balanced pre-dawn meal that includes water, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein to help sustain you throughout the day.

Maintaining proper hydration during Ramadan fasting helps support digestion, boosts energy levels, and keeps the body functioning optimally throughout the holy month.

Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting

Continue Reading

Health

NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban

Published

on

NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban

NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban

Members of the National Union of Food, Beverage and Tobacco Employees (NUFBTE) on Thursday staged a protest at the NAFDAC office in Isolo, Lagos, demanding the reversal of the agency’s ban on sachet and PET-bottled alcoholic beverages. The union claims the ban contradicts a directive reportedly issued by the Federal Government, and they want production lines that were sealed to be immediately reopened.

The protesters, including manufacturers, distributors, and industry workers, argued that the enforcement of the ban threatens jobs, livelihoods, and the operations of small and medium-sized enterprises that rely on sachet alcohol sales. During the demonstration, union members handed a petition to NAFDAC officials, urging dialogue and a more balanced approach that safeguards both public health and the food and beverage sector.

NUFBTE cited alleged instructions from the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the Office of the National Security Adviser, claiming that NAFDAC should suspend enforcement. The union said continued closure of production lines and restriction of alcohol sales would lead to economic hardship and widespread job losses.

READ ALSO:

However, NAFDAC rejected the claims, with Director-General Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye stating that no federal directive has instructed the agency to halt the ban. In a statement, the regulator described circulating reports as “false” and “misleading,” emphasizing that its actions are within statutory authority and in line with official government policies.

NAFDAC has not received any formal directive to suspend its regulatory or enforcement activities concerning sachet alcohol,” the statement read. The agency reiterated its commitment to public health protection, regulatory compliance, and consumer safety, warning the public and industry stakeholders to rely on verified information from official channels.

The ban, implemented earlier this month, targets alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and containers smaller than 200ml, a measure aimed at reducing unregulated alcohol consumption and protecting vulnerable groups. While the policy has faced backlash from workers and businesses, NAFDAC maintains that it is necessary for national health and safety.

The protest underscores the tension between regulatory enforcement and economic concerns, as workers continue to call for inclusive policymaking and engagement with industry stakeholders to mitigate the impact on jobs and local businesses.

NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending