Atiku camp moves to pacify G-5 govs - Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

Atiku camp moves to pacify G-5 govs

Published

on

Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar

Despite his claim that he had moved on after failing to resolve his differences with five aggrieved governors of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the opposition party’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has reportedly informed members of his kitchen cabinet to explore further avenues to resolve the lingering crisis.

Atiku, had in a radio programme last week, claimed that he was moving on without the five aggrieved PDP governors.

However, the tide moved against his presidential bid during the week, when the governor of Bauchi State, Bala Mohammed, accused Atiku of undermining his re-election bid next year.

Bala had demanded an apology from Atiku. As at the time of filing in this report, neither Atiku nor his media aides had offered any apology to the governor.

While the controversy over Bala’s accusation was still raging, the five aggrieved governors, Nyesom Wike of Rivers State; Seyi Makinde of Oyo State; Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia State; Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State; and Samuel Ortom of Benue State, met the Bauchi governor in the state capital.

Though still unconfirmed, there are claims that Bala who is fighting the political battle of his life, may join forces with the G-5 governors to undermine Atiku’s presidential bid.

Saturday Sun gathered that following the raging storm rocking Atiku’s campaign organisation, the former vice president has urged members of his kitchen cabinet to reach out to prominent PDP leaders, including former President Goodluck Jonathan, to intervene.

READ ALSO:

A competent source told Saturday Sun that Jonathan’s intervention may prove counterproductive, as Atiku’s key men who are expected to lead the delegation to Jonathan, all worked against Jonathan’s re-election bid in 2015.

The source said former President Olusegun Obasanjo is unwilling to support Atiku, like he did in 2019, claiming that the former President may have covertly given his support to Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP).

The source further revealed that Southern PDP leaders and other critical stakeholders expected to prevail on the five governors, are opposed to the emergence of Atiku.

He said the leaders, prior to the primaries that produced Atiku, had insisted that the next president of Nigeria must emerge from the South, after eight years of Buhari’s regime.

He said: “Atiku’s campaign is struggling, even if he might not want to admit it. The support he expected from the people is not coming. He has realised that he needs the governors to win this election.

“He had the chance and missed the opportunity. Now, the five aggrieved governors are recruiting more people to join them. If Atiku doesn’t move fast, Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State will join the G-5 governors.

“As I speak, there is no prominent PDP leader from the South who is with Atiku. Those people parading themselves as Southern PDP leaders can’t win elections in their villages.

“The problem now is that, the people who can prevail on Wike and other governors, are those Atiku offended in the past. He has offended Jonathan and even worked against him in 2015.

READ ALSO:

“He undermined Obasanjo in 2003. He worked against Odili in 2007. Edwin Clark doesn’t want to even see Atiku for working against Jonathan in 2015. Same thing with Bode George.

“Leaders of Ohanaeze Ndigbo who worked for him in 2019, can’t openly support him. These people I’ve mentioned are those who can prevail on these aggrieved governors to work with Atiku.

“Atiku may have the support of the North, but he won’t get a landslide victory there. Kwakwanso will drag the votes with him in the North. In the North East where he’s from, the vice presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Kashim Shettima will get votes for his party.

“While Tinubu can boast of 80 per cent of votes from the South West, Atiku can’t do same in the North. With Obi, he has lost the South East. With Wike, he may not win up to 30 per cent in the South South.”

Revealing why Atiku appears to be handicapped, the PDP member said the former vice president is careful not to upset his Northern Muslim support base, who according to the source, doesn’t want him associated with Wike.

He said if Atiku concedes some grounds and positions to the G-5 governors, they’ll support his presidential bid in 2023.

He said while the presidential candidate of APC, Bola Ahmed Tinubu is willing to concede some cabinet positions to the G-5 governors, Atiku on the other hand is unwilling to commit himself.

Issuing a stern warning, the PDP leader said: “If Atiku’s kitchen cabinet members mean well for him, they need to tell him the truth now. The G-5 governors must be brought on board before the end of November or PDP can just bid Aso Rock goodbye.”

The former Vice President told reporters in Minna on Friday that all issues with the aggrieved governors and others would be resolved before next year’s election.

Loading

Politics

Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress

Published

on

Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State

Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his victory in the August 15 governorship election, describing the outcome as a strong assurance that democracy will continue to flourish in Nigeria.

 

The President, in a statement issued on Sunday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said he personally called Adeleke earlier in the day to congratulate him on his re-election.

 

Tinubu said Adeleke’s victory had once again demonstrated the confidence the people of Osun State reposed in his leadership.

 

“I called Governor Ademola Adeleke earlier today to congratulate him on his election victory in Osun State. His victory once again confirmed the confidence the people of Osun State have in him,” the President said.

 

He urged the governor, who has secured another term in office, to use his renewed mandate to unite the people of the state irrespective of their political affiliations or choices during the election.

 

According to Tinubu, the governor’s immediate responsibility is to bring the people together and mobilise them towards achieving greater development, stability and prosperity in the state.

 

“I wish him great success as he prepares to lead the state for the next four years. Now that he has won, Governor Adeleke must unite the people of Osun State and rally them for growth, stability, and social and economic progress, regardless of the political choices they made at the election,” he said.

 

The President also commended other candidates who contested the election, praising what he described as their courage and discipline throughout the electoral process.

 

He said their participation had contributed to strengthening Nigeria’s democratic culture, adding that the outcome of the poll represented the decision of the electorate.

 

“I salute the courage and discipline displayed by other contestants in the election. Their participation deepened and enriched our country’s democratic culture,” Tinubu said.

 

He added that the result of the election reflected the will of the people of Osun State and provided further confidence in the survival and growth of democratic governance in the country.

 

“The outcome of the election reflects the will of the people and is a fitting assurance that democracy will continue to flourish in our land,” the President stated.

 

Tinubu further commended the Independent National Electoral Commission for its role in conducting the election, as well as the security agencies deployed for the exercise.

 

The President described the election as peaceful and transparent, noting that the process produced a clear winner.

 

His commendation comes after Osun voters went to the polls on Saturday to elect the governor who will lead the state for another four-year term.

 

Adeleke’s victory means the incumbent governor will continue in office for another term, giving his administration an opportunity to consolidate on its programmes and policies while addressing the developmental challenges confronting the state.

 

The President’s statement also appeared to emphasise the need for political reconciliation following the election, urging the governor to extend his leadership to all residents of Osun State, including those who voted against him.

 

Tinubu’s congratulatory message further underscored the importance of accepting electoral outcomes and ensuring that political competition does not undermine governance, unity and development after elections.

 

The statement was signed by Onanuga on August 16, 2026.

 

Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress

 

Loading

Continue Reading

Politics

Ataoja Congratulates Adeleke on Osun Governorship Election Victory

Published

on

Osun election: Àtàọ́ja should stop running joro-jara-joro
Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji Olanipekun Abidemi Larooye II

Ataoja Congratulates Adeleke on Osun Governorship Election Victory

 

The Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji Olanipekun Abidemi Larooye II, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his victory in the August 15, 2026, governorship election.

 

The monarch described Adeleke’s victory as a reflection of the confidence reposed in him by the people of the state, while commending the electorate for exercising their democratic rights peacefully.

 

In a statement issued by the Media Unit of the Ataoja’s Palace, Oba Larooye also urged all candidates, political parties and their supporters to accept the outcome of the election in the spirit of democracy.

 

The monarch advised anyone dissatisfied with the result to seek redress through lawful and constitutional channels, stressing the need to preserve peace and stability in the state.

 

The Ataoja expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for respecting the democratic process and acknowledging the outcome of the election.

 

According to him, allowing the will of the people to prevail remains essential to strengthening Nigeria’s democracy and promoting peace and stability.

 

Oba Larooye further acknowledged the cordial relationship between the people of Osogbo and the Adeleke family, urging the governor to reciprocate the goodwill by sustaining his commitment to the development of Osogbo and Osun State.

 

He called on Adeleke to prioritise developmental projects, improved infrastructure, economic opportunities and programmes capable of improving the living standards of residents across the state.

 

The monarch also urged the governor, following the conclusion of the election, to extend a hand of fellowship to citizens across political divides and govern with maturity, fairness, inclusiveness and compassion.

 

He prayed that Almighty Allah would grant Adeleke wisdom, good health, strength and divine guidance to utilise his renewed mandate for the peace, unity, prosperity and sustainable development of Osun State.

 

“Congratulations, Your Excellency, Asiwaju Dr. Ademola Jackson Nurudeen Adeleke, on your renewed mandate. May your second term bring greater development and prosperity to the good people of Osun State,” the monarch said.

 

The statement was signed by the Media Unit of the Palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo Land.

 

Ataoja Congratulates Adeleke on Osun Governorship Election Victory

Loading

Continue Reading

Politics

Breaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun

Published

on

Osun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units

Breaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun

OSOGBO — Governor Ademola Adeleke has secured a second term in office after defeating his closest challenger, All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate Bola Oyebamiji, in the August 15 Osun State governorship election.

Adeleke, who contested the election on the platform of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to emerge victorious, defeating Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes. African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate and former Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Najeem Salaam, finished a distant third with 17,180 votes.

The result, announced in the early hours of Sunday by the State Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, at the collation centre in Osogbo, gave Adeleke another four years at the helm of affairs in the state.

The incumbent secured the highest number of votes in 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji won in the remaining 11 LGAs, in a closely watched contest that effectively became a two-horse race between the Accord candidate and his APC challenger.

Adeleke recorded victories in Ede North, Ede South, Ejigbo, Iwo, Egbedore, Ife North, Ife East, Ife Central, Oriade, Ifelodun, Orolu, Ayedaade, Ayedire, Odo Otin, Boluwaduro, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Osogbo and one other local government area.

READ ALSO:

Oyebamiji, on the other hand, secured victories in Irewole, Isokan, Olorunda, Atakunmosa East, Atakunmosa West, Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun and Obokun, with the remaining two LGAs reflected in the final collation accounting for his 11-LGA tally.

Announcing the final figures, Ogunwole said 1,005,800 votes were cast in the election. Adeleke’s 511,067 votes represented the largest share, followed by Oyebamiji’s 444,815 votes, while the remaining candidates shared the balance.

After the agents of the participating political parties signed the results, the Returning Officer formally declared Adeleke the winner.

“That Ademola Nurudeen-Jackson Adeleke, having satisfied the requirements of the law, is hereby declared the winner of the August 15 Governorship election and returned elected,” Ogunwole declared.

The victory marks another major political milestone for Adeleke, who took office in November 2022 after defeating the then-incumbent APC governor, Gboyega Oyetola. His re-election means he will remain governor of Osun until 2030.

The 2026 election also produced a significant political shift, with Adeleke winning the governorship under the Accord Party, the first time the party has captured the Osun governorship since its creation in 2006.

With the final declaration, attention now turns to Adeleke’s second-term agenda and whether the governor can consolidate his electoral victory by translating the mandate into broader economic development, infrastructure delivery and improved welfare for the people of Osun.

 

Breaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending