AFP/Punch
Sports
I’m ‘psychologically destroyed’ by World Cup exit —Neymar
Neymar said Saturday he was “psychologically destroyed” by Brazil’s elimination from the World Cup in a penalty shootout defeat to Croatia and admitted it hurt more than any other loss in his career.
But he never got to take a spot kick in the shootout that Croatia won 4-2 to move into the semi-finals.
Pre-tournament favourites Brazil must now wait at least another four years to win their sixth World Cup — their last dates back to 2002.
“I am psychologically destroyed. It is definitely the defeat which has hurt me the most, which left me paralysed for ten minutes after the match, after which I burst into tears without being able to stop,” Neymar said in an Instagram message.
READ ALSO:
- Breaking: Morocco shock Portugal 1-0, zoom into semi-final
- Julius Agwu confirms crashed marriage, says wife got tired and left
- Enugu police vow to fish out criminal elements enforcing sit-at-home order
“It is going to hurt for a very long time, unfortunately,” he added.
Neymar said immediately after Brazil crashed out that he might have played his last match for his country — but Pele urged him to “keep inspiring us.”
The 82-year-old said on Instagram he hoped the superstar forward would carry on playing, adding that goalscoring achievements were no match for the honour of representing Brazil.
“You know, as I do, that no number is greater than the joy of representing our country,” Pele wrote.
“I’m 82 years old, and after all this time, I hope I’ve inspired you in some way to get this far…. Your legacy is far from over.
“Keep inspiring us. I will continue punching the air with happiness with every goal you score, as I have done in every game I’ve seen you on the pitch.”
Pele, who was hospitalised earlier this month during treatment for colon cancer, congratulated Neymar for equalling his goalscoring record.
“I learned that the more time passes, the more our legacy grows,” Pele wrote.
“My record was set almost 50 years ago, and no one has been able to get close to it until now. You made it, my boy. That adds to the greatness of your achievement.”
![]()
Sports
Georgina Rodríguez reveals why she, Ronaldo married in their living room
Georgina Rodríguez reveals why she, Ronaldo married in their living room
Georgina Rodríguez has revealed why she and football star Cristiano Ronaldo chose to marry in the living room of their home in Cascais, Portugal, instead of holding the lavish celebrity wedding many might have expected.
The couple tied the knot in an intimate civil ceremony on August 11, 2026, almost a decade after they first met at a Gucci store in Madrid, where Rodríguez was working as a sales assistant.
The private ceremony took place at their summer home in Cascais, near Lisbon, with their five children and four witnesses in attendance.
Speaking to Vogue, Rodríguez said her idea of a dream wedding had changed considerably as she grew older and built a family with Ronaldo.
She recalled that as a young girl, she had imagined an extravagant wedding complete with a magnificent castle, an elaborate carriage, a long gown and a diamond crown.
However, her priorities changed over the years. Rodríguez said she eventually realised that she wanted something much more personal and meaningful.
She explained that rather than celebrating with a large crowd, she wanted to share the occasion with Ronaldo and their children in the comfort of their own home.
According to Rodríguez, the couple already had access to luxury properties, cars, horses and other symbols of wealth. Because of that, she felt that another extravagant display would not be as meaningful as a private family moment.
READ ALSO:
- Nobody Should Invite My Husband Without Inviting Me — Jarvis Issues Stern Warning
- Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
The couple therefore chose their living room — the same space where they regularly eat breakfast, lunch and dinner — as the setting for their wedding vows.
For Rodríguez, the decision was also about creating a lasting memory for their children.
She said she wanted them to look back decades from now and remember that their parents exchanged their wedding vows at the same table where the family shared everyday meals and moments together.
The intimate nature of the ceremony did not mean that the couple overlooked the significance of their appearance.
Rodríguez wore a white silk Gucci outfit with satin shoes, while Ronaldo wore a light beige suit with custom loafers.
The involvement of Gucci also carried a special significance because the couple’s relationship began at the fashion house’s Madrid store in 2016.
Gucci creative director Demna Gvasalia described the opportunity to dress Rodríguez and Ronaldo for their wedding as particularly meaningful because of the connection between the brand and the beginning of their relationship.
The couple’s wedding was also documented by renowned photographer Juergen Teller, giving them a private record of the occasion.
Their celebration did not end with the civil ceremony. The couple later visited the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima for a religious blessing, according to reports.
Despite opting for a private wedding at home, Rodríguez confirmed that she and Ronaldo intend to hold a larger celebration in the future.
She said the planned event would allow their relatives and friends to celebrate their marriage with them.
Ronaldo and Rodríguez began their relationship in 2016 and subsequently built a family together. They became engaged on August 11, 2025, exactly one year before their wedding.
The couple have five children in their family, including Ronaldo’s eldest son Cristiano Jr., twins Eva and Mateo, and their daughters Alana and Bella. They also suffered the loss of their newborn son Ángel in 2022.
The decision to marry at home marked a notably private moment for one of football’s most famous couples.
Rather than making their wedding about luxury or celebrity attention, Rodríguez said the couple wanted the occasion to reflect their family life and create a memory that their children could carry with them for years to come.
Georgina Rodríguez reveals why she, Ronaldo married in their living room
![]()
Sports
WAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
WAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
For decades, the trophy had remained agonizingly out of reach. Three finals. Three defeats. Zero goals scored. But on a balmy Sunday evening at the Moulay El Hassan Stadium in Rabat, Morocco, Cameroon’s Indomitable Lionesses finally rewrote their painful history, delivering a devastating first-half performance to defeat tournament debutants Malawi 3-0 and secure their first-ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) title.
The victory not only ended Cameroon’s long-running final jinx but also established the Central African nation as just the fourth country ever to win Africa’s premier women’s football competition, joining an elite list that includes record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, and South Africa. More significantly, Cameroon became only the third African nation—after Nigeria and South Africa—to win both the men’s and women’s Africa Cup of Nations titles, cementing their place as a true powerhouse of African football.
From the opening whistle, Cameroon made their intentions clear. The Lionesses attacked with relentless intensity, and their pressure paid off spectacularly in the 20th minute. A well-worked move into the Malawi box created chaos among the Scorchers’ defenders, and Marie Manga rose highest to power a close-range header past the Malawi goalkeeper, sending the Cameroonian supporters into raptures. Just nine minutes later, in the 29th minute, the lead was doubled through a moment of individual brilliance. Naomi Eto, who had been a constant threat throughout the tournament, received the ball with her back to goal, turned sharply, and unleashed a stunning volley that flew into the corner of the net, leaving the Malawi defense completely helpless.
READ ALSO:
- Police to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
- NDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
- Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops
The crowning blow arrived in first-half stoppage time, deep into the 45th minute. Eto turned provider this time, delivering a perfectly weighted cross that found Manga unmarked in the box. The striker made no mistake, calmly slotting home her second goal of the night to make it 3-0. It was a scoreline that effectively ended the contest before the interval and sent the Lionesses into the dressing room with an unassailable lead.
Malawi, playing in their first-ever WAFCON final, showed far more urgency and attacking intent after the restart. The Scorchers looked to their star sisters, Temwa Chawinga and Tabitha Chawinga, for inspiration, and the duo tried desperately to engineer a comeback. Temwa, who had already scored five goals in the tournament to win the Golden Boot, was closely marshaled by Cameroon’s disciplined defense, while Tabitha’s creative runs were repeatedly snuffed out by the Lionesses’ well-organized backline. Goalkeeper Michaely Bihina, who would later be awarded the Golden Glove for her outstanding performances throughout the competition, stood tall between the posts, making crucial saves whenever Malawi threatened. Statistical data from the match showed Cameroon registered 14 shots with 6 on target, while Malawi managed 9 shots with 3 on target. The Lionesses also had a slight edge in corners, winning 6 to Malawi’s 3, underscoring their attacking dominance.
When the final whistle finally blew, the scenes were one of pure jubilation. Cameroonian players collapsed to the turf in tears of joy, while substitutes and coaching staff raced onto the pitch to join the celebrations. For a team that had suffered heartbreaking final defeats in 2004, 2014, and 2016—all at the hands of Nigeria—this triumph represented the ultimate redemption. The victory was especially sweet given that Cameroon had initially failed to qualify for this expanded 16-team tournament before being added based on their world ranking, making their journey to the title even more remarkable.
The post-tournament individual awards further highlighted Cameroon’s dominance. Monique Ngock, who delivered commanding performances in midfield throughout the competition, was deservedly named Player of the Tournament, while Bihina’s heroics between the posts earned her the Golden Glove award. Malawi’s Temwa Chawinga, despite her team’s defeat, finished as the tournament’s top scorer with five goals, claiming the Golden Boot as a consolation for her remarkable individual campaign.
For Malawi, the tournament will forever be remembered as a historic breakthrough. The Scorchers, who entered the competition as the lowest-ranked team in the tournament at 153rd in the world, stunned defending champions Nigeria in the group stage before overcoming Ghana and Algeria in the knockout rounds to reach their maiden final. Their remarkable run also secured automatic qualification for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil, a monumental achievement for a team that was playing in their very first WAFCON. Despite the final defeat, the Scorchers returned home as heroes, having captured the hearts of football fans across Africa.
The 2026 WAFCON concluded with Cameroon’s historic triumph bringing the curtain down on a memorable tournament. Algeria claimed the bronze medal after defeating hosts Morocco in the third-place playoff, but the night unequivocally belonged to the Indomitable Lionesses. As the trophy was lifted high above Rabat, it marked not just the end of a long wait, but the beginning of a new era for Cameroonian and African women’s football.
WAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
![]()
Sports
Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
Mikel Arteta’s side make history with fastest goal in 58 years as new signing Christos Tzolis stars with two assists in statement win over Enzo Maresca’s Manchester City
Arsenal produced one of the most dominant Community Shield performances in recent memory on Sunday, dismantling Manchester City 3-0 at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff to claim their 18th Community Shield title and deliver an emphatic statement ahead of their Premier League title defence. The victory, which marks Arsenal’s fourth consecutive Community Shield win over City, was secured in devastating fashion—with goals inside the opening 28 minutes from Riccardo Calafiori, Kai Havertz, and captain Martin Ødegaard sealing the result before the hour mark. For new Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca, it was a sobering introduction to competitive football in the post-Pep Guardiola era, as his side struggled to create meaningful chances against a ruthless Arsenal outfit that looked sharper, fitter, and more determined from the very first whistle.
Any lingering doubts about Arsenal’s readiness for the new campaign were extinguished within 23 seconds of kick-off. Myles Lewis-Skelly, deployed in an advanced midfield role by Arteta, produced a moment of sublime vision—splitting the Manchester City defence with a perfectly weighted through ball to Riccardo Calafiori. The Italian left-back, who joined Arsenal last summer, showed ice-cool composure to slot past Gianluigi Donnarumma, leaving the City goalkeeper with no chance. The goal is the fastest scored in the Community Shield since 1968, when Manchester City’s Tony Book netted after 15 seconds against West Bromwich Albion. It set the tone for a first-half masterclass that left City chasing shadows. “We wanted to start aggressively,” Calafiori told BBC Sport after the match. “The manager told us to press high and trust our quality. When Myles played that pass, I knew I had to finish it—and thankfully I did.”
READ ALSO:
- Ataoja Congratulates Adeleke on Osun Governorship Election Victory
- Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress
- Breaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
The story of the afternoon, however, belonged to Christos Tzolis. The £34 million summer signing from Club Brugge made his competitive debut for Arsenal and delivered a performance that will have fans dreaming of silverware. Tzolis’s first assist came in the 28th minute. Ødegaard floated a pinpoint cross to the far post, where the Greek winger out-jumped his marker to head the ball back across goal. Kai Havertz was perfectly positioned to nod home, with Donnarumma inadvertently helping the ball over the line—2-0 Arsenal. Three minutes into the second half, Tzolis turned provider again. He picked out Ødegaard with a clever pass, and the Norwegian captain produced a moment of magic—taking a delicate first touch to glide past Josko Gvardiol before wrong-footing Donnarumma and rolling the ball into an empty net for 3-0. Tzolis became the first player to register two assists in a Community Shield match since David Beckham in 1996—a remarkable achievement on his first competitive appearance for the club. “Christos was outstanding today,” Arteta said in his post-match press conference. “He’s settled in brilliantly and showed exactly why we brought him here. His creativity, his work rate—he’s going to be a huge player for us.”
For Manchester City, this was a stark reminder of the challenges ahead under Enzo Maresca. The Italian manager, who replaced the legendary Pep Guardiola after the Spaniard’s departure to the Brazil national team, watched his side struggle to impose themselves against a resolute Arsenal defence. David Raya was called into action only twice—denying Phil Foden with a sharp save in the 20th minute and later keeping out an effort from Erling Haaland. The Norwegian striker, who won the Premier League Golden Boot with 27 goals last season, was rendered anonymous, managing just seven touches before being substituted in the 58th minute. City’s first competitive match without Guardiola in over a decade ended in their heaviest Community Shield defeat since 2014 (also 3-0 to Arsenal). The result represents the joint-heaviest loss for a Manchester City manager in his first game—a record previously held by Harry Newbould, who lost 4-1 to Arsenal in 1906. Maresca remained philosophical after the match: “We knew it would be difficult. Arsenal are champions for a reason. They were better than us in every department today—more aggressive, more clinical, more organised. We have work to do, but this is a long season.”
Martin Ødegaard, who was named Player of the Match for his influential performance, made it clear that Arsenal are aiming for more than just the Community Shield this season. “We showed our level today. We showed that we’re ready,” he told TNT Sports. “I think we showed that we’re serious—we want to do it again. When you get the taste of how nice it is, you want to do it again.” The captain also referenced Arsenal’s heartbreaking Champions League final defeat to Paris Saint-Germain in May, which has fuelled the squad’s hunger for Europe’s biggest prize. “There’s more trophies to go for—that’s the aim,” Ødegaard added. “At this club, you want to win all of them. The Champions League is a big one, and we’re going to attack it.”
Arsenal will begin their Premier League title defence on Friday evening with a home fixture against Coventry City at the Emirates Stadium. Arteta will hope his side can carry this momentum into the league campaign, where they will face stiff competition from the chasing pack. Manchester City, meanwhile, face a quick turnaround. They open their Premier League season on Saturday against Brighton & Hove Albion—a fixture that now carries added significance as Maresca looks to restore confidence after this chastening defeat.
Arsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
![]()
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Politics1 day agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
-
metro3 days agoFrom Pulpit to Ifá Shrine: Ex-Pastor Exposes ‘Deceit’ in Christianity, Embraces Yoruba Tradition
