metro
Anxiety over abducted Catholic bishop, abductors yet to make contact
There is tension in Imo State and indeed among the Catholic in the country following the refusal of the abductors of the Auxiliary Bishop of Owerri Catholic Archdiocese, Most Rev. Moses Chikwe, and his driver, Mr Ndubuisi Robert, to establish contact with the church and the victims’ families.
It is already three days after their abduction and no word has come yet from the gunmen and there are rummours that they may have been killed.
But Archbishop of the Owerri Catholic Archdiocese, Most Rev. Anthony Obinna, dismissed the rumour, urging Catholics and others to disregard the report that Bishop Chikwe had been killed by his abductors.
The cleric was kidnapped by gunmen suspected to be abductors alongside his driver around World Bank area of Owerri on Sunday evening.
His vehicle was later found in front of Maria Assumpta Cathedral, the archdiocesan headquarters, in Owerri.
Reports from the church and families of the abductees indicate that the kidnappers have yet to establish contact with them..
The rumours of the killing of the bishop on the social media have aggravated the people’s anxiety.
But the Head of the Owerri Catholic Ecclesiastical Province, Archbishop Anthony Obinna, said people should disregard the report.
He said the abducted bishop was alive and that the police were working to locate him and the his abductors
metro
Reno Omokri Alleges El-Rufai, Sons Linked to Dadiyata’s Disappearance
Reno Omokri Alleges El-Rufai, Sons Linked to Dadiyata’s Disappearance
Former presidential aide and social commentator Reno Omokri has renewed allegations connecting former Nasir El-Rufai and his sons to the abduction of activist Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata. Omokri claims that the ex-governor and his family have a “strong case to answer” over the matter.
Omokri made the allegations in a lengthy post shared on X (formerly Twitter) on Friday, February 20, 2026, citing a series of past statements, online threats, and public conduct as circumstantial links to Dadiyata’s disappearance.
Dadiyata was abducted from his residence in Kaduna on August 2, 2019, and has not been seen since. The activist was known for his critical stance against the El-Rufai administration, frequently highlighting issues of corruption and abuse of power in Kaduna State.
Omokri highlighted statements allegedly made by El-Rufai and his sons as evidence. He cited a remark by the former governor warning that anyone who “tries to criminalise Nasir El-Rufa’i should know that he has a battle on his hands till one of us drops dead.” He also referenced comments by El-Rufai’s son, Bashir El-Rufai, suggesting that “dangerous lies in the public space have consequences”, as well as posts allegedly threatening social media users and their families.
READ ALSO:
- UK-Based Nigerian Gets 13-Year Jail Term for Forcing Girlfriend to Abort Pregnancy
- Lawmaker Jailed for Mocking President in Facebook Post
- Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
Another son, Bello El-Rufai, was implicated in alleged threats related to the investigation of ₦432 billion missing from Kaduna State funds. Omokri also referenced alleged private messages containing graphic threats against Igbo women.
Omokri described the pattern of statements as evidence of “death threats” and “bloodlust”, insisting there is sufficient evidence for the former governor and his sons to be formally questioned regarding Dadiyata’s disappearance.
The allegations come as Nigeria’s Department of State Services (DSS) has reportedly reopened investigations into the case, and individuals of interest are expected to be invited. Dadiyata’s wife, Khadija Ahmad Lame, has appealed for her husband’s return “dead or alive”, seeking closure for the family.
El-Rufai has denied any involvement. In an interview with ARISE TV in February 2026, he claimed that Dadiyata criticised other state governments more than his administration. No formal charges have been filed against El-Rufai or his sons, but public pressure continues to mount for accountability and justice in the case.
Reno Omokri Alleges El-Rufai, Sons Linked to Dadiyata’s Disappearance
metro
Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
A devastating fire outbreak on Friday, February 20, 2026, razed at least 50 shops at the Fatima Simra Multi‑Purpose Market in the Dakata area of Kano State, leaving traders and residents in shock. The early morning blaze, which began around 5:40 a.m., rapidly spread across the market, affecting mainly small-scale enterprises involved in oil production, plastic recycling, and nylon processing.
The chairman of the market fire committee, Dauda Haruna Chula, confirmed the incident, noting that the Kano State Fire Service had been alerted and was en route to the scene. “From the preliminary assessment, about 50 shops are already down, and the fire is still ongoing. We did as much as we could to inform the authorities, and I can hear the sound of their fire trucks arriving now,” Chula said.
Traders expressed frustration over what they described as a slow emergency response, which allowed the fire to spread more rapidly. Many are now counting losses and making plans to salvage remaining goods, while others fear losing their entire livelihoods.
READ ALSO:
- Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
- ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation
- Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations Dies in Egypt
This latest blaze comes less than a week after a major fire devastated Singer Market in Kano, displacing over 1,000 traders and destroying goods worth billions of naira. Following that disaster, the Federal Government and the APC Governors’ Forum pledged financial support to assist affected traders, highlighting the need for improved fire safety measures in commercial hubs across the state.
Authorities are continuing firefighting operations and have assured traders that investigations are ongoing to determine the cause of the fire, which preliminary reports suggest may have been triggered by electrical faults or unattended cooking equipment. Officials have emphasized the importance of emergency preparedness, fire prevention, and rapid response systems to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Kano State has a history of recurring market fires, raising calls from experts, trade associations, and residents for stricter safety regulations, including proper spacing of stalls, installation of fire hydrants, and training for traders on emergency response.
Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
metro
Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
Fresh tension has gripped Utono community in Ngaski Local Government Area, Kebbi State, after suspected terrorists issued a letter demanding ₦100 million from residents and threatening a deadly attack if the ransom is not paid. The development has sparked fear across the community, highlighting the growing insecurity in northwest Nigeria, where armed groups continue to target rural settlements for ransom and other criminal activities.
According to local sources, the threat letter was delivered to community leaders on Thursday, February 17, 2026, warning residents not to dismiss the message. “This is not a joke. We are coming to preach. You must pay us ₦100 million. If you refuse, you will face the consequences and have no one to blame but yourselves. Even if you call soldiers, they cannot stop us,” the letter reportedly read.
READ ALSO:
- ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation
- Nigerian Navy Chief of Operations Dies in Egypt
- Tinubu, German Chancellor Merz Pledge Stronger Nigeria-Germany Ties
The group referenced a previous attack on Woro community in Kiama Local Government Area, Kwara State, where several people were killed after residents ignored a similar threat. The reference has amplified panic among Utono residents, many of whom are now developing safety plans and considering temporary evacuation.
A community source, speaking on condition of anonymity due to safety concerns, said the fear is widespread. “People are scared. The mention of what happened in Woro has made the threat more frightening. Many families are already discussing safety plans in case anything happens,” the source said.
Confirming the threat, Kebbi State Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Alhaji Ahmed Idris, stated that security personnel have been deployed to Utono, including air surveillance units, to prevent any potential attack. “The government is not taking the threat lightly,” he added, emphasizing that residents’ safety remains a top priority.
Authorities have assured that intensified operations are ongoing to prevent incursions, protect residents, and deter further attacks. Security analysts warn that paying ransom may encourage more violence, urging communities to remain vigilant and cooperate with law enforcement and military agencies.
The Utono threat is the latest in a series of attacks across northwestern Nigeria, where terrorists and armed gangs frequently target remote communities for extortion, kidnappings, and other criminal acts, underscoring the urgent need for intelligence-led operations and government intervention.
Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro3 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News3 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
International1 day agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
Entertainment2 days agoActress Destiny Etiko Breaks Silence on Alleged Nollywood Betrayal



You must be logged in to post a comment Login