Court summons Emefiele over $53m debt arising from Paris Club refund - Newstrends
Connect with us

Business

Court summons Emefiele over $53m debt arising from Paris Club refund

Published

on

Godwin Emefiele

Court summons Emefiele over $53m debt arising from Paris Club refund

A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, ordered Godwin Emefiele, Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to appear before it on July 19 over a 53 million dollar-judgment debt arising from the Pars Club refund.

Justice Inyang Ekwo, who gave the order during the hearing of a suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1193/2017, insisted that the court would not hear Emefiele’s motion for stay until he appeared in court.

Justice Ekwo had, on Oct. 20, 2022, ordered the CBN governor to appear in court on Jan. 18 over his alleged refusal to obey the order of the court for the payment of the judgment debt in favour of a legal practitioner, Joe Agi, SAN.

However, on the Jan. 18, proceedings could not go on as scheduled when the matter was called, prompting the court to subsequently adjourned the case till March 20.

Mr Agi had dragged Linas International Ltd, Minister of Finance and CBN to court as 1st to 3rd judgment debtors respectively, following an application for garnishee made by him as judgment creditor in the case.

READ ALSO:

Upon resumed hearing on Tuesday, Agi’s counsel, Ayodele Arotiowa, informed that on the last adjourned date, the court made an order that Mr Emefiele should appear in court on the next date and that the order had not been obeyed.

Audu Anuga, SAN, who appeared for Emefiele and CBN, reminded that the court did not sit on the last adjourned date.

“There is an intervening circumstance which we have brought to the attention of the court by filing of affidavit of fact,” he said.

The judge then asked when the appeal was filed by Mr Anuga.

“The appeal was filed on the 28th day of October, 2022,” the lawyer responded.

He said besides the appeal, they also filed a motion for stay.

Mr Anuga, who said that the appeal had been entered, said that was why they filed affidavit of fact.

Arotiowa said though they had been served with the processes, they had also responded.

Mr Anuga told the court that they had pending application to set aside those order nisi.

Justice Ekwo then said that it was because of the order he made that Mr Emefiele should appear in court that prompted them to go on appeal “so that he does not appear in this court.”

“That is exactly what you have done. So, we, the trial court cannot do our job?

“I am not going to hear you on any application until Mr Godwin Emefiele appears in court.

READ ALSO:

“Therefore, I am going to give a date for you to report to the court in the compliance with the order of the court.

“Upon being aware that the motion for stay of execution is a live matter in this court, this court shall not hear that application unless and until Mr Godwin Emefiele who has been ordered to appear in court appears in court,” the judge declared.

He adjourned the matter until July 19 for report.

NAN reports that the dispute stemmed from an alleged $70 million judgment against Linas International Ltd for the lawyer’s (Joe Agi) assistance with the Paris Club refund.

Emefiele was said to have only released $17 million, leaving an unpaid balance of $53 million.

The court had on Jan. 23, 2020, ruled that Emefiele must appear “to be examined on oath, since the date of the said garnishee order absolute, to pay the balance of 53 million dollars now due and payable under the said garnishee order absolute and also show cause why you should not be committed to prison for default in payment of the said sum”.

In October 2022, Agi through his counsel Isaac Ekpa and Chinonso Obasi, filed another application against Linas International, Minister of Finance and the CBN.

He sought for an order directing the Inspector-General of Police to arrest Mr Emefiele and bring him to court alongside his lawyers, Damian Dodo, Audu Anuga, all Senior Advocates of Nigeria, and Ginika Ezeoke, Jessica Iyoke, Abdullahi Afolayan, and Olayemi Afolayan.”

Court summons Emefiele over $53m debt arising from Paris Club refund

NAN

Business

Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn

Published

on

Nigerian stock market

Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn

Nigerian equities have emerged as one of the best-performing stock markets globally in 2026, delivering the world’s second-best dollar returns after years of currency-driven losses and weak investor sentiment. The local market has risen 31 percent in dollar terms this year, helping investors recoup about $21 billion in market value lost following the sharp naira devaluation in 2024.

Market capitalisation on the Nigerian Exchange Group has climbed to approximately $84 billion, representing a 58 percent increase from levels recorded before the currency collapse. According to Bloomberg, Nigeria’s benchmark equity index has surged 31 percent year-to-date, significantly outperforming global peers. The rally far outpaces the 11 percent gain in the broader emerging-market index and the 6.4 percent advance recorded by frontier-market stocks.

Analysts attribute the sharp rebound to a combination of stronger corporate earnings, exchange-rate stability, and renewed investor confidence following wide-ranging economic reforms. Olabode Williams, an analyst at SBG Securities Ltd, said companies hardest hit by the naira’s earlier collapse have now stabilised their balance sheets and returned to profitability. He noted that investors are increasingly pricing in growth as corporate fundamentals improve, adding that Nigerian equities are becoming more attractive to both local and foreign investors after years of underperformance.

READ ALSO:

The rally has also been supported by a firmer naira, which has appreciated by more than seven percent against the dollar in 2026, ranking as the world’s second-best performing currency among those tracked by Bloomberg. The currency rebound has strengthened dollar-based equity returns and helped reverse losses triggered by earlier exchange-rate volatility.

Foreign participation has increased sharply alongside the rally. Data from the Nigerian Exchange Group shows that non-Nigerian trading in local equities reached a 19-year high in 2025. Transactions by foreign investors tripled to ₦2.65 trillion ($1.97 billion) from ₦852 billion in the previous year, reflecting renewed global appetite for Nigerian risk assets.

Market analysts believe the rally could extend further if major listings materialise. Gloria Fadipe, an analyst at CSL Stockbrokers Ltd, a unit of FCMB Group Plc, said the market could exceed $100 billion in valuation this year if large-scale listings proceed. She noted that potential listings of Dangote Refinery and Dangote Fertiliser could deliver capital gains of up to 34 percent while deepening market liquidity.

The rebound comes amid broader macroeconomic reforms introduced by Bola Tinubu, including the unification and liberalisation of the foreign-exchange market. While the reforms initially triggered volatility and inflationary pressure, economists say they are restoring policy credibility, improving capital inflows, and repositioning Nigerian assets for sustained long-term growth.

Nigerian Equities Post World’s Second-Best Dollar Returns in 2026, Recover $21bn

Continue Reading

Business

Naira Maintains Stability Against Dollar as CBN FX Measures Keep Markets Calm

Published

on

Naira-dollar

Naira Maintains Stability Against Dollar as CBN FX Measures Keep Markets Calm

The Nigerian Naira showed relative stability against the United States Dollar during Tuesday, February 17, 2026, trading sessions in both official and parallel foreign exchange markets. After a weekend of consolidation, the local currency continued to hover around the ₦1,350 band, reflecting the effectiveness of the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) liquidity management policies.

In the official Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market (NFEM), the Naira opened at ₦1,351.18 per dollar and adjusted slightly by mid-morning to ₦1,354.86, a movement attributed to early-week corporate demand. Analysts say the Electronic Foreign Exchange Matching System (EFEMS) and the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) have helped anchor the official exchange rate below the ₦1,400 mark for over two weeks, providing a predictable environment for businesses and investors.

READ ALSO:

Meanwhile, in the parallel market, the Naira traded at a traditional premium, ranging from ₦1,380 to ₦1,440 per dollar in commercial hubs like Lagos, Abuja, and Kano. Traders reported sufficient dollar supply for personal travel and small-scale business transactions, noting that the narrowing gap between official and parallel rates has discouraged speculative hoarding and improved market efficiency.

Recent CBN interventions, including expanding access to licensed Bureau De Change operators and enforcing regulatory compliance, have strengthened FX liquidity, allowing for more transparent price discovery. Combined with Nigeria’s moderating inflation rates and robust external reserves of around $49 billion, these measures have bolstered confidence in the Naira and helped limit excessive volatility.

Market watchers, however, caution that challenges remain, including uneven foreign exchange inflows and persistent demand pressures in the informal sector. Sustaining the Naira’s stability in the coming weeks will depend on continued policy consistency, enhanced liquidity provision, and investor participation across sectors.

Summary of Rates on February 17, 2026:

  • Official NFEM Opening: ₦1,351.18 per $1
  • Official NFEM Mid-Morning: ₦1,354.86 per $1
  • Parallel Market Range: ₦1,380 – ₦1,440 per $1

Analysts remain cautiously optimistic that the Naira can maintain its stability and momentum for the remainder of February, provided that external reserves and FX supply measures continue to support the market.

Naira Maintains Stability Against Dollar as CBN FX Measures Keep Markets Calm

Continue Reading

Business

Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring

Published

on

DAAR Communications

Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring

A public dispute has erupted at DAAR Communications Plc as Chairman Raymond Dokpesi Jr and former Group Managing Director, High Chief Tony Akiotu, publicly clashed over the company’s recent management restructuring, raising questions about corporate governance and the legacy of Nigeria’s pioneering media organisation.

Speaking in Abuja, Dokpesi Jr defended the executive shake-up, stating he has “no regrets” about the decisions made following the sudden death of the company’s founder, Raymond Aleogho Dokpesi Sr. He described the departure of long-serving executives as a difficult but necessary step to ensure stability, investor confidence, and future growth. The chairman noted that the company faced challenges after his father’s passing, including declining share value and reduced investor confidence, and emphasised that the transition process was carefully managed to minimise tension.

READ ALSO:

Dokpesi Jr acknowledged that the exiting executives were owed salary arrears and other entitlements, which the organisation has been settling, amounting to billions of naira accumulated over their 15-year tenure. He explained that the restructuring allowed the company to prioritise outstanding obligations and improve operational efficiency, with most business units now financially independent and others expected to achieve autonomy before the end of the year. “I will continue to apologise to Mr Tony Akiotu and the affected management staff for any hurt feelings,” he said, “but I have no regrets — the results validate the decision.”

In response, Akiotu criticised Dokpesi Jr’s statement as unfair and misleading. He argued that it was inappropriate for a chairman who presided over board meetings and approved management memos to later accuse the same leadership team of mismanagement. Akiotu highlighted that all major operational and financial decisions during his tenure were subject to board approval, and that the team had contributed significantly to the company’s growth into a national and international media brand, with operations spanning Nigeria, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Akiotu also noted that while executive retirements may be permissible under corporate regulations, the public portrayal of their tenure overlooked the sacrifices made to build one of Nigeria’s pioneering broadcast institutions. “If Raymond Dokpesi Jr believes we played no part in the growth of the company, we leave it to Nigerians and history to make that judgment,” he said.

Industry observers say the dispute underscores ongoing debates about corporate governance, leadership succession, and strategic reform within DAAR Communications, which continues to be a major player in Nigeria’s broadcast media sector. Both parties have called for dialogue, but the public nature of the clash has drawn attention across the media and business community, with speculation over potential boardroom changes and the company’s future direction.

Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending