News
Customs, 62 other MDAs to stop direct revenue collection
Customs, 62 other MDAs to stop direct revenue collection
The Presidential Committee on Tax Policy and Fiscal Reforms announced that the Nigeria Customs Service and 62 other Federal Government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) would cease collecting money directly from citizens.
On Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily breakfast show on Wednesday, Committee Chairman Taiwo Oyedele made this revelation.
According to Oyedele who is former Fiscal Policy Partner and Africa Tax Leader at PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC), the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) will now collect revenue for the MDAs.
He stated that Nigeria’s revenue collection from taxes is one of the lowest in the world but the cost of collection is high.
“Ironically, our cost of collection is one of the highest. And the reason for that is that we’ve got all manners of agencies. The Federal Government alone, we have 63 MDAs that were given revenue targets last year, no; actually in the 2023 budget,” he said.
“And two things that would come up from that: on one hand, these agencies are being distracted from doing their primary function which is to facilitate the economy. Number two, they were not set up to collect revenue, so, they won’t be able to collect revenue efficiently.
READ ALSO:
-
Discrepancies befall Niger coup plotters as former rebel leader forms anti-coup movement
-
Just in: Sanusi ex-Kano emir meets with Niger military leaders
-
Tinubu meets with Wike, el-Rufai in Aso Rock
“So, move those revenue collection function to the FIRS. It has two advantages: the cost of collection and efficiency will improve, these guys will focus on their work, and the economy will benefit as a result,” Channels quoted him saying.
When asked for clarity on his comments, he said these MDAs are not set up to collect revenue on behalf of the federal government, therefore, should focus on their primary responsibilities.
“If you are Customs, focus on trade facilitation, border protection and if you are NCC (Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), just regulate telecommunications. You are not set up to collect revenue.
“It can be your revenue and someone else can collect it for you. There will be more transparency because you see what is being collected and is accounted for properly. It is also a way of holding ourselves to account as to how we spend the money we collect from the people.”
Recall that on Tuesday President Bola Ahmed Tinubu inaugurated a tax reforms committee with a 400-levep Economics student of University of Ibadan (UI), Orire Agbaje, as a member.
Speaking further, he said Nigeria’s tax gap is estimated around N20trn as many members of the elite evade paying the exact taxes they should remit to the government.
“As of today, we have significant tax gap estimated in the region of 20 trillion or even more naira. If you focus more on the few major taxes – Value Added Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Personal Income Tax, a lot of people are not (tax) compliant, particularly the middle class and the elite, some of them are in the tax net with one or two fingers, you pay a thousand naira as tax when you should have paid N10m,” he said.
News
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.) has earned international acclaim as its Group Chief Executive Officer, Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari, has been conferred with the Fellowship of the Energy Institute (FEI), United Kingdom — one of the highest honours in the global energy industry.
The Fellowship recognises senior energy leaders who have demonstrated sustained, high-impact contributions to the advancement of the energy sector. It was formally conferred on Ojulari during International Energy Week (IEW) in London, a leading platform for energy policy, finance, and industry leadership. (punchng.com)
The honour was presented by Andy Brown, President of the Energy Institute, who praised Ojulari’s transformative leadership of NNPC Ltd., highlighting his role in strengthening governance, embedding a performance-driven culture, and repositioning the company for long-term value creation.
Under his stewardship, NNPC Ltd. has implemented investor-focused reforms, enhanced operational excellence, and expanded strategic global partnerships, all contributing to increased confidence in Nigeria’s energy sector. The recognition reinforces NNPC’s ongoing transformation into a commercially driven, globally competitive, and transparent energy company.
READ ALSO:
- FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
- ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election
- Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
Significance for Nigeria and Africa
Experts note that the FEI Fellowship is not only a personal achievement for Ojulari but also a major institutional endorsement of NNPC Ltd.’s reform agenda. Being recognised at International Energy Week, which convenes policymakers, financiers, regulators, and industry leaders, positions the company at the centre of critical global energy discussions on sustainability, energy transition, and capital formation.
The award also signals growing international confidence in NNPC Ltd. and highlights Nigeria’s strategic role in Africa’s energy security and global energy transition ambitions. (vanguardngr.com)
Ojulari’s Leadership Achievements
Since assuming office, Engr. Ojulari has overseen multiple strategic reforms at NNPC Ltd., including:
- Driving governance and operational reforms to boost accountability.
- Expanding strategic partnerships and investor-focused initiatives.
- Enhancing execution efficiency across the company’s subsidiaries.
- Positioning NNPC Ltd. as a credible, investment-ready energy enterprise.
These efforts have not only improved the company’s profitability and performance but also strengthened Nigeria’s energy security and market competitiveness. (punchng.com)
Ojulari described the Fellowship as a reflection of collective effort within NNPC and reiterated his commitment to sustainable value creation, global best practices, and energy sector innovation.
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London
News
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
The Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room has raised concerns over multiple irregularities in the ongoing Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council Elections, citing late polling unit openings, reports of vote buying, and logistical challenges that could affect voter participation.
According to the Situation Room, a coalition of over 70 civil society organisations advocating for credible elections in Nigeria, many polling units opened late, with an average start time of 9:15 a.m., well after the official 8:30 a.m. schedule. Observers also noted low voter turnout in several areas, particularly in AMAC, although queues began forming later in Kuje, Kwali, Gwagwalada, and Abaji Area Councils.
Vote Buying Observed
The coalition reported instances of vote buying, with voters allegedly offered up to ₦10,000 in exchange for ballots in units such as PU008, PU056, PU057, and PU058 in Gidan Mangoro Ward, AMAC. While some of the transactions were open, others were conducted discreetly.
The Situation Room warned that such electoral malpractice undermines the integrity of the election and called on electoral officials, political parties, and security agencies to intervene and prevent further incidents.
READ ALSO:
- ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election
- Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
- Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
Logistical and Accessibility Issues
Observers noted that some voters struggled to locate their polling units after last-minute changes communicated by INEC via text messages. The Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) generally performed efficiently, with a one-minute average accreditation time, though malfunctions were reported in a few units including Gwako Town Primary Schools II & IV and PU143, Gwagwalada.
The Situation Room also highlighted accessibility challenges for voters with disabilities, noting that braille ballot guides, magnifying glasses, and other assistive materials were largely absent, even in designated disability communities such as Karimajiji and PU052, Wuse.
Security and Election Conduct
Security personnel, including officers from the Nigeria Police, Civil Defence, Immigration Service, and Fire Service, were present in significant numbers and generally maintained order and professionalism.
Isolated incidents of intimidation and harassment were reported in locations such as Grade 1 Area Court, Rubochi (Kuje); Naharati Sabo School II, Rimba/Ebagi; and PU3, UNG Liman/UNGWAR LIMAN 1, Abaji Central, but security agents swiftly resolved these situations.
Call for Calm and Integrity
The Situation Room commended the INEC FCT Help Desk for promptly addressing reported issues and called on all stakeholders to maintain calm, resist vote buying, and ensure that the will of the people is respected as the polls continue and results are collated.
The report was jointly signed by Mma Odi and Celestine Odo, co-conveners of the coalition.
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
News
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
United States President, Donald Trump, has introduced a sweeping immigration proposal that could halt the issuance and renewal of work permits for asylum seekers for many years, marking what analysts describe as one of the most consequential shifts in U.S. asylum employment policy in decades.
The proposed rule, released on Friday by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), seeks to suspend new employment authorisation for asylum applicants until the average processing time for designated asylum cases falls to 180 days or fewer.
According to DHS data, the asylum case backlog now exceeds 1.4 million applications, with the department projecting that meeting the 180-day benchmark could take between 14 and 173 years under current conditions—effectively creating an indefinite suspension of asylum work permits.
Despite the bleak projections, DHS said administrative restructuring, staffing increases, and efficiency-focused reforms could eventually reduce processing delays. However, officials acknowledged that significant improvements would take time.
READ ALSO:
- Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
- Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
- Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
In a statement accompanying the proposal, DHS said the rule, if finalised, “would reduce incentives for frivolous, fraudulent, or otherwise meritless asylum claims.” The department stressed that work authorisation is not an entitlement, but a discretionary benefit granted by the DHS secretary.
If implemented, the policy would generally bar migrants who entered the United States unlawfully from receiving new work permits or renewing existing ones while their asylum claims remain pending.
Limited exemptions would apply only to individuals who alerted U.S. border officials within 48 hours of arrival that they feared persecution, torture, or faced another urgent humanitarian threat.
The proposal forms part of a broader immigration clampdown under President Trump, who returned to office in 2025 after campaigning on stricter border enforcement and tougher asylum standards.
Throughout his campaign and early months back in office, Trump portrayed immigrants and asylum seekers as economic and security burdens, claims that critics argue are not supported by crime or labour market data.
Immigrant advocacy groups, civil rights organisations, and some Democratic lawmakers have criticised the proposal, warning that denying work permits could push asylum seekers into poverty, increase dependence on charities, and drive people into undocumented employment.
Legal experts also expect significant court challenges, arguing that the rule could weaken long-standing U.S. and international asylum protections and undermine due-process guarantees.
The proposal will undergo a 60-day public comment period once it is formally published in the Federal Register on Monday. The regulatory process could extend for months or even years, with the final outcome uncertain amid anticipated legal battles.
Until then, existing regulations governing asylum seeker work permits in the United States remain in force.
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International3 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Education14 hours agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro3 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
metro3 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
-
Politics3 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64


