metro
Army convoy rams into protesters in Nasarawa
Army convoy rams into protesters in Nasarawa
A team of armed military personnel from Nigerian Army ‘4’ Special Forces Command Doma, in four Hilux vans, on Monday allegedly rammed into over 500 women during a peaceful protest in Lafia, Nasarawa State, leaving many wounded.
The incident happened at the stadium junction, where the protesters gathered to pray after their protest for the day.
The first Hilux van conveying the officers was said to be on high speed, before it ran into the protesters and crushed some of them.
Although no life was lost, the protesters were allegedly manhandled and beaten before being rushed to the hospital.
READ ALSO:
- Man to die by hanging for killing neighbour in Ondo
- FG to procure customised screening machines for 5 Airports
- Ondo lawmakers plan to appoint Akeredolu’s deputy acting governor today
Leader of the group, James Alu, said the protesters who were mainly widows and older women embarked on a peaceful protest when the incident occurred.
“We did nothing wrong by embarking on a peaceful protest over what we feel is a miscarriage of justice. Democracy allows protest. This protest will last for the next twenty days. We are peaceful and will remain peaceful,” Alu said.
One of the women allegedly beaten told The Guardian that she is a widow with four children with no job. She called on the army leadership to caution its men who carried out the act.
The spokesperson of the group, Mr. Kefas Tiga, also lamented the attack on women protesters, describing it as undemocratic. He called on the army authority to investigate and punish those who carried out the act.
Army convoy rams into protesters in Nasarawa
metro
Trump’s Executive Order Halts US Aid, 250,000 Lives Affected in Yobe
Trump’s Executive Order Halts US Aid, 250,000 Lives Affected in Yobe
The Yobe State Government has revealed that more than 250,000 people in the conflict‑affected north‑east have been severely impacted by the United States’ funding cuts, following an Executive stop‑work order signed by President Donald Trump in 2025. Authorities warn that the withdrawal of support has disrupted essential humanitarian operations, including food security, healthcare, protection services, and education.
Dr Muhammad Goje, Executive Secretary of the Yobe State Emergency Management Agency (YOSEMA), disclosed the figures during a breakfast show, describing the situation as “deeply concerning” for vulnerable communities. He explained that the United States had been the largest and most consistent donor for over a decade, supporting life-saving assistance in the BAY states — Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe.
According to Goje, the suspension of US aid has forced humanitarian agencies to consolidate operations, compete for limited resources, or withdraw entirely. Among the affected are approximately 13,000 out-of-school children, internally displaced persons (IDPs), survivors of gender-based violence (GBV), and other vulnerable populations dependent on healthcare, nutrition, and protection services.
READ ALSO:
- Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
- Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria
- Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
In 2024, Nigeria’s Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) requested US$926.5 million to assist 4.4 million people. About US$556 million was received, with the United States contributing roughly US$316 million, representing 57% of total humanitarian funding — making it the single largest donor. The sudden suspension has therefore created a major funding gap, threatening the continuity of critical programmes.
Dr Goje highlighted that food assistance, previously supporting 65,000 households monthly, has been curtailed following the aid freeze, with over 650 metric tons of food distributed each month by the World Food Programme (WFP) now unavailable. Across the north-east, more than 2,500 humanitarian workers have lost their jobs due to the funding cut, affecting thousands of dependent family members.
Authorities say the state government has begun implementing measures to mitigate the humanitarian impact, including mobilising local resources, improving coordination among agencies, and seeking alternative funding streams. However, officials acknowledge that domestic efforts cannot fully replace international aid, especially amid rising food insecurity, displacement, and health crises in the region.
Experts warn that the suspension of US support comes amid broader global aid reductions, leaving vulnerable populations at risk. Without renewed international assistance, millions of people across north-east Nigeria could face severe hunger, malnutrition, and lack of essential services, further deepening the humanitarian crisis.
Trump’s Executive Order Halts US Aid, 250,000 Lives Affected in Yobe
metro
Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
At least four northern traders were killed and several businesses looted during violent protests targeting northerners at the Oil Mill Market in Rumuokwurusi, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, over the weekend. The unrest has heightened concerns about ethnic tensions and public safety in the commercial hub.
Mr. Musa Saidu, Chairman of the Hausa Community in Rivers State, disclosed the fatalities while leading northern leaders to the market to assess the damage. He reported that multiple shops owned by northern traders were vandalised and looted, resulting in losses worth millions of naira. Saidu urged northerners living and doing business in the state to remain calm, emphasising that they are law-abiding citizens engaged in legitimate trade.
The protests were triggered by a fatal dispute on February 10, when Nchelem Samuel Festus, an indigene of Igwuruta in Ikwerre Local Government Area, was allegedly stabbed to death by a northern commercial motorcyclist over a stolen motorcycle. Festus later died from his injuries, sparking demonstrations and anger among residents. Protesters accused northern riders of involvement in other crimes, including rape and kidnapping, and demanded a ban on commercial motorcycle operations by northerners.
READ ALSO:
- Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria
- Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
- Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
Tensions escalated further when a wheelbarrow pusher, Zakara Afaaruwu, allegedly stabbed a trader from Benue State, Higightor Wenem, to death during a dispute over space at the market. The incident prompted renewed attacks on northern traders and widespread destruction of property. Afaaruwu has been arrested and is in police custody for investigation.
Security authorities have stepped up patrols in affected areas, with local councils imposing temporary restrictions on commercial motorcycle operations to prevent further clashes. Despite the reports from community leaders, the Rivers State Police have not officially confirmed the deaths, with CSP Grace Iringe-Koko, the Police Public Relations Officer, stating she was unaware of any fatalities.
Community leaders continue to appeal for peace and restraint, warning that targeting people based on regional or ethnic identity could escalate the violence. The incident underscores the urgent need for dialogue, lawful conflict resolution, and stronger measures to address socio-economic and regional tensions in the state.
Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
metro
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) has reportedly acquired about 35 commercial drones, marking a dangerous escalation in insurgent tactics and raising fresh security concerns for Nigeria’s military operations in the north-east and north-west regions.
Security assessments indicate that the drones are largely First-Person View (FPV) quadcopters, a low-cost but highly effective technology increasingly used by non-state armed groups globally. Unlike conventional surveillance drones, FPV systems allow operators to guide drones in real time using video goggles, enabling precise navigation and target selection on the battlefield.
The reported acquisition comes months after air and drone strikes ordered by Donald Trump targeted insurgent positions in Sokoto State on Christmas Day 2025. Although those strikes were intended as a deterrent to militant groups operating along the Nigeria–Niger border, security analysts say insurgents have instead adapted by investing in mobile, hard-to-detect aerial platforms.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
While insurgent groups in Nigeria have previously relied on drones mainly for intelligence gathering and surveillance, recent developments suggest ISWAP is preparing for offensive drone operations. Security experts warn that FPV drones can be modified to carry small explosive payloads and directed to detonate on impact, allowing militants to strike military assets, personnel, and defensive positions with greater accuracy.
Analysts say the use of such drones could enable repeated and sustained attacks on military formations rather than isolated raids. The availability of multiple drones also raises the risk of coordinated or swarm-style attacks, which could overwhelm troops and complicate traditional defensive measures.
Both ISWAP and Boko Haram have increasingly deployed drones alongside ground fighters during assaults on Forward Operating Bases and remote outposts, some of which have resulted in significant losses for government forces. Observers note that this tactical shift mirrors trends seen in the Ukraine war, where low-cost FPV drones have transformed modern combat by neutralising conventional military advantages.
Security commentators argue that Nigeria must urgently strengthen its counter-drone capabilities to maintain battlefield superiority. Recommended measures include greater investment in electronic warfare and signal-jamming systems, enhanced intelligence gathering, improved air-defence coverage for military bases, and expanded deployment of locally developed drone technologies.
Experts also stress the importance of tighter border controls and regional cooperation to disrupt the flow of drone components and technical expertise. They warn that failure to adapt quickly to the emerging drone-enabled insurgency could prolong insecurity across Nigeria’s conflict-affected regions and further strain military resources.
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
-
News3 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
News19 hours agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News15 hours agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro17 hours agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
Entertainment2 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto2 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG


