Herders accused of gang-raping 13-year-old girl in Enugu – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Herders accused of gang-raping 13-year-old girl in Enugu

Published

on

Herders accused of gang-raping 13-year-old girl in Enugu

Residents of Aku in Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area of Enugu State are filled with rage following the killing of a farmer, identified as Mr Emma Nnadi.

It was learnt that Nnadi was shot dead, weekend, while trying to rescue a 13-year-old girl who was being gang-raped by Fulani herdsmen.

A community leader, Agu Chineme, who confirmed the incident in a statement he issued on Monday, said the community is indignant over the terror and brutality visited on it by the herdsmen.

According to him, though the incident happened at Ugwu-Uvuru, a farm settlement in Uzo-Uwani, a neighbouring local government area, both the girl and the deceased are from Aku in Igbo-Etiti.

He disclosed that “the 13-year-old girl, a primary school graduate, was mercilessly raped by two armed Fulani men while working on her family’s farm.

“The young victim recounted the horrific incident, with her voice trembling with fear and her body still bearing the physical scars of the assault.

READ ALSO:

“The gruesome attack claimed the life of Emma Nnadi, a brave farmer who attempted to intervene and protect the young girl from the clutches of the ruthless herders.

“The Fulani men showed no remorse as they took turns raping the girl, even as Emma lay down dead from a gunshot wound.”

He said the Aku community was demanding justice over the heinous crime, lamenting that “the Fulani herders seem to operate with impunity in the region.”

He lamented that the community had lost several vibrant men and women in the hands of the killer herdsmen.

“As tensions escalate, local leaders are calling for urgent action to address the growing menace of Fulani herder violence; they are demanding increased security measures and accountability.

“The memory of Emma Nnadi, a hero who gave his life to defend the innocent, will not be forgotten.

“His legacy will fuel the quest for peace, justice, and security in Aku, and his soul will rest in peace,” Agu further stated.

Our correspondence is awaiting a response from the spokesman of the Enugu State Police Command, ASP Daniel Ndukwe.

Herders accused of gang-raping 13-year-old girl in Enugu

(DailyPost)

metro

Minister inspects Independence Bridge in Lagos after reopening

Published

on

Minister inspects Independence Bridge in Lagos after reopening

Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, has visited the Independence Bridge in Lagos on Thursday after ordering its immediate reopening.
The minister on Wednesday ordered the reopening of the bridge shut for repair work on Wednesday following the massive gridlock that stretched from Lekki through Victoria Island to Falomo Bridge and beyond.
However, the commencement of repairs on Wednesday caused major traffic with Lagos residents spending hours on the road.
The minister’s visit, it was learnt, was to assess the rehabilitation and how to restructure the work in a way to cause minimal disruption to movement of people using the bridge and alternative roads.

A statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media, Hon. Orji Uchenna Orji, in Abuja on Thursday, confirmed the minister’s arrival in Lagos for the visit.

“Less than 24 hours after the sad traffic experience on the Independence Bridge in Lagos, the Honourable Minister of Works, His Excellency, Sen. Engr. Nweze David Umahi CON, has arrived in Lagos to assess the situation with a view to providing immediate and permanent intervention,” the statement read.
The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, had earlier confirmed the reopening of the bridge.

She expressed the Ministry of Works’ regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation

She had said, “Efforts are currently ongoing to ensure palliative works are carried out on the already opened bridge to make it motorable .

“The ministry hereby express regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation.”

Continue Reading

metro

Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council

Published

on

FCT Police Command Spokesperson, SP Adeh Josephine

Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council

A 27-year -old man, Rabiu Suleiman, has reportedly stabbed and inflicted serious injuries on his friend, Yunusa Muazu, during a fight over a woman at Tipper garage area of Gwagwalada in Gwagwalada Area Council of the FCT.

A resident of the area, who simply gave his name as Sanusi, said the incident occurred on Tuesday night after a fight broke out at a viewing centre at Unguwar Dodo area of the town.

He said Suleiman had accused his friend, Muazu of dating his friend, Jamila Yakubu, who he intends to marry.

He said trouble started when Jamila left Suleiman’s house on Tuesday around 8:34 pm, only for him to meet her with his friend, Muazu, discussing at a viewing centre, where he had gone to watch football.

He said Suleiman, upon sighting his woman with his friend, angrily walked straight to them and slapped him, a situation, which resulted in a fight between them.

He said in the process, Suleiman allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed his friend in the back, which attracted the attention of people at the viewing centre.

READ ALSO:

According to him, some people at the centre, who tried to separate them, were overpowered, not until when some vigilantes rushed to the scene and arrested Suleiman.

He said his friend, who was lying on the floor in a pool of his blood, was rushed to a nearby hospital.

He said the lady quietly left the scene when the fight broke out.

A member of the vigilante, Salihu Bala, who confirmed the incident, said the suspect had been arrested and handed over to security personnel in the area.

He said the vigilantes were making efforts to trace the woman’s location and arrest her.

He said, “The vigilantes even went to the family house of the girl on Wednesday morning but could not find her but we are still trailing her movement to ensure she is arrested.”

Bala said the injured victim was recuperating at the hospital, alleging that the victim and his friend were into drugs.

The spokeswoman of the FCT police command, SP Josephine Adeh, did not respond to the calls and text messages sent to her on the incident.

 

Man stabs friend over woman in FCT council

Continue Reading

metro

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

Published

on

Timothy Omotoso

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

A High Court in the Eastern Cape division of South Africa has acquitted Timothy Omotoso, a Nigerian televangelist, accused of raping young women in his church.

Omotoso and his two co-defendants were arraigned on a 32-count charge bordering on rape and human trafficking.

News24 reported that Omotoso would be deported to Nigeria immediately after the judgment.
The co-defendants are Lusanda Sulani and Zukiswa Sitho.

READ ALSO:

Several young women had accused the pastor of luring them into his home in Umhlanga, a town in South Africa, where he allegedly molested them.

In April 2017, the Nigerian pastor was arrested shortly after he landed at an airport in South Africa.
He is the senior pastor of the Jesus Dominion International based in Durban, South Africa. He is also the founder of Tim Omotoso Global Outreach and Ancient of Day Broadcasting Network

According to News24, Irma Schoeman, the trial judge, yesterday, ruled that the state prosecutor did not prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.
The Nigerian pastor had been in South African prison since his arrest in 2017.

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

Continue Reading

Trending