metro
After Years on the Run, NDLEA Captures Suspect Behind Killing of Three Officers
After Years on the Run, NDLEA Captures Suspect Behind Killing of Three Officers
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a notorious drug trafficker, Lekan Jimoh, popularly known as “Kanmo-Kanmo,” who allegedly masterminded the killing of three NDLEA officers during a failed arrest operation more than a decade ago.
The suspect was apprehended on Friday during a covert intelligence-led operation at his hideout in Owode, Ogun State, bringing an end to a 12-year manhunt that had placed him on the agency’s most-wanted list since 2014.
According to the NDLEA, Jimoh allegedly mobilised armed accomplices to attack operatives who attempted to arrest him in Ogun State, leading to the death of three officers in the line of duty. Since then, he had evaded arrest while allegedly coordinating drug trafficking networks across parts of the South-West.
READ ALSO:
- Arsenal Held 1-1 by Nottingham Forest but Keep Premier League Lead
- Defence Minister Musa Identifies Four Key Challenges Undermining Nigeria’s Security
- Teenager Survives Alleged Ritual Attack as Five Suspects Held in Osun
During the latest operation, NDLEA officers recovered 69 kilograms of skunk (cannabis) from the suspect. The agency described the arrest as a major breakthrough in its efforts to dismantle violent drug syndicates and bring perpetrators of attacks on law enforcement officers to justice.
The NDLEA said the arrest followed sustained intelligence gathering and surveillance, noting that the agency had previously raided properties linked to the suspect in Ado-Odo, Ogun State, where large consignments of illicit drugs were seized and later forfeited to the Federal Government by court order.
NDLEA spokesman Femi Babafemi said the development sends a strong message that “no criminal, no matter how long they evade justice, is beyond the reach of the law,” adding that the agency remains committed to protecting its personnel and strengthening the fight against drug abuse and trafficking in Nigeria.
The arrest comes amid a nationwide crackdown by the NDLEA, which has recorded multiple drug seizures and arrests in recent weeks across Lagos, Abuja, Edo, Oyo, Delta and other states, as the agency intensifies operations against drug cartels and their logistics networks.
Jimoh is expected to be charged to court after the conclusion of investigations.
After Years on the Run, NDLEA Captures Suspect Behind Killing of Three Officers
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
metro2 days agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
