metro
Air Peace, Oshiomhole in war of words over airport showdown
Air Peace, Oshiomhole in war of words over airport showdown
The management of Air Peace airline has accused Adams Oshiomhole, a former governor of Edo State and current Senator, of disrupting its operations at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) terminal 1 in Lagos after missing his flight.
It said in a statement that the incident occured in the early hours of Wednesday, June 11.
Oshiomhole, in his reaction, after a video surfaced on social media showing him in a heated exchange with an airport official, said the commotion at the domestic terminal was sparked by Air Peace’s decision to prevent passengers from boarding while allegedly reselling seats at inflated prices to others on the spot.
The Air Peace statement said Oshiomhole arrived at the airport around 6:10 a.m for flight which was scheduled to depart Lagos for Abuja at 6:30 a.m on Wednesday, June 11.
By the time he arrived, boarding had already closed, and the flight departed on time.
As a result, Oshiomhole reportedly reacted angrily by disrupting airport activities.
The senator was accused of physically assaulting Air Peace officials and forcibly blocking the terminal entrance, thus preventing other passengers from entering.
Air Peace, in the statement, condemned what it described as an ‘unruly behaviour’ and reaffirmed its strict zero-tolerance policy toward violence or aggression directed at its staff or passengers.
The statement read, “Air Peace strongly condemns the unruly conduct of a prominent Nigerian politician who disrupted airport operations on the morning of Wednesday, June 11, 2025.
READ ALSO:
- Court orders Eko Disco to restore power to Lagos hotel
- Ohanaeze to Tinubu: Use June 12 to grant amnesty to repentant Biafra agitators
- Return Fubara to Power on June 12 – Bode George Tells Tinubu
“The prominent individual in question arrived at Murtala Muhammed Airport Terminal 1 (Zulu Hall) at approximately 06:10 AM for Flight P47120 scheduled to depart Lagos for Abuja at 06:30am.
“In line with our standard on-time departure policy, the boarding process had closed, and the flight departed as scheduled.
“Upon being informed of the missed flight, the politician resorted to violence, physically assaulting our staff and forcefully barricading the terminal’s entrance.
“He went as far as sealing the entry gate and manning the access point, effectively obstructing other passengers from gaining entry into the terminal.
“This unacceptable behaviour caused significant disruption to ongoing operations and affected numerous travelers scheduled for various flights.
“To minimize further inconvenience, Air Peace swiftly activated an operational contingency plan to board affected passengers through an alternate terminal, ensuring the continuity of their travel plans.
“We are deeply saddened that such a high-profile figure displayed conduct so unbecoming and disruptive to fellow passengers and our personnel.
“Air Peace maintains a zero-tolerance stance on violence or any form of aggression against our staff and passengers.
“We urge all guests, to remain civil and cooperative at all times.
“Aviation operations are bound by strict timelines and safety protocols, and we remain committed to upholding these standards while delivering safe and timely services to the Nigerian public.
“Air Peace continues to stand for discipline, integrity, and respect for due process.
“No individual, no matter how influential, is above these values.”
Meanwhile, Oshiomhole has given an account of what transpired at the Airport Terminal 1, Zulu Hall.
He narrated how passengers, including himself, were prevented from boarding an Air Peace flight to Abuja despite having checked in online.
The senator said,
“I booked Air Peace… They delayed the flight for over five hours. In the end, they announced a cancellation. I had to get another ticket. Yesterday, I booked a flight for 6:30 a.m., which is their first flight today. I booked and asked them to check me in online, which I did, along with two other Ghanaians who met me in Lagos. We checked in online just to avoid the last-minute issues I’ve had with them a couple of times.
“I got there at about five minutes past six. They told me the counter was closed. I told them, ‘No, I’ve already checked in.’ I showed them the evidence of my online check-in. Even before then, they had asked if I had checked in, and I told them yes, and that I had no luggage. They looked at it but still said the gate had been closed. Meanwhile, I noticed they were still taking other people in.
“So I asked, ‘How can you close boarding for a 6:30 flight at 6:05? What is the purpose of online check-in, then?’ If I had to go through another check-in process, then what’s the point of checking in online?
“While speaking to them, I saw many men and women who had been there even before me, with similar experiences. Basically, they were selling tickets on the spot at higher prices. I’ll give you an example. A lady bought her ticket for N146,000 online. She arrived at the airport at 5:55 a.m. for the 6:30 a.m. flight, after the gatemen had delayed her.
“They told her she was late and that the counter had closed for check-in. She said that was impossible, as it wasn’t even 6:00 a.m. They told her she would be put on the next flight. She protested, saying, ‘Why? Put me on this flight.’ But they told her the flight was full and she would have to wait.
“Meanwhile, the airline was selling tickets on the spot for between N200,000 and N300,000. To take advantage of the situation, they discouraged those who had bought tickets online at lower rates and sold to people willing to pay more.”
Air Peace, Oshiomhole in war of words over airport showdown
![]()
metro
Customs Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
Nigeria Customs Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has publicly identified the importers behind the recent shipment of 399 fully assembled JOJEF pump-action rifles and assorted firearm components intercepted at the Tin-Can Island Port in Lagos, as both suspects remain in custody pending their court arraignment.
The Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, disclosed the names during the formal handover of the seized arms to the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (NCCSALW) in Lagos on Monday. According to the Customs chief, the importers behind the illicit consignment are Robert Eze and Ejiogu Godson. Both individuals are now in custody following their arrest in connection with the illegal shipment. Customs operatives arrested one of the suspects on July 31, 2026, at a bonded terminal while he was allegedly attempting to secure the release of the container containing the prohibited firearms. The two suspects have been remanded by the Federal High Court in Lagos, with their arraignment scheduled for August 25, 2026.
The interception occurred after the NCS risk-management system flagged the container for inspection upon arrival at Tincan Island Port aboard the vessel MV Velika on July 8, 2026. Adeniyi placed particular emphasis on the role of technology in the seizure, explaining that Customs could not physically open every container arriving in the country. “Look carefully at what is laid out on these tables. 399 rifles. Somebody paid for them. Somebody arranged their shipment. Somebody was waiting at this end to collect them. And somebody, somewhere in this country, was going to be on the wrong end of them,” Adeniyi said. The Comptroller-General revealed that the firearms had been deliberately dismantled and concealed among the contents of the container in an apparent attempt to make them more difficult to detect. “It was opened because our risk management system flagged it. Inside were firearm components, taken apart and hidden in knocked-down form. That is a deliberate method. It is chosen for one reason only, which is that a rifle in pieces does not look like a rifle,” he explained.
READ ALSO:
- TCN Injects 220MVA Into Lagos Grid, Boosts Power Supply to 134,000 Residents
- Obasanjo Pays Surprise Visit to Adeleke, Tasks Him on Good Governance
- US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches
Following detailed examination and assembly of recovered components, Customs confirmed the discovery of 399 fully assembled patrol rifles alongside a significant quantity of supplementary rifle parts. Among the additional components recovered were 89 frames, 80 charging handles, 57 trigger groups, 66 foregrip latches, 45 foregrips/handguards, 39 pistol-grip screws, 34 springs, 25 locking lugs, 16 heat shields, 10 trigger pins, four pistol grips, five barrels, and three pistons.
Following the complete inventory and assessment of the illicit shipment, the Customs Service handed over the seized armaments to the Director-General of the NCCSALW under the Office of the National Security Adviser. Adeniyi confirmed that the two arrested suspects are also being transferred to the Office of the NSA for further investigation. In his remarks, the National Coordinator of the NCCSALW, Mr Johnson Kokumo, revealed that the Centre has received 21,000 Small Arms and Light Weapons since inception, while over 19,000 have been destroyed. He commended the Comptroller General of Customs for his astute leadership, professionalism, and patriotism often demonstrated in all operations of the Nigeria Customs that have led to the recovery of illicit weapons at different times. Kokumo stated: “Illicit weapons taken out of the hands of non state actors is a direct blow to criminal networks and a vital step toward safeguarding innocent citizens.” He assured that the weapons would be managed to the highest standards and will be accounted for, ensuring that they do not find their way back into the hands of criminal elements, in strict compliance with national legislation and international best practices.
Adeniyi warned that criminal networks could seek to exploit Nigeria’s borders, ports, and airports ahead of the next general elections to move prohibited items into the country. He assured Nigerians that the service would intensify surveillance and enforcement operations to prevent such activities. “We are about entering a major election cycle, and we know that by this period, men of the underworld will want to use our borders, our ports, our airports to bring in items like this. We are going to redouble our efforts to ensure that we do not allow them to do so,” Adeniyi said. The Customs chief reaffirmed the service’s commitment to intelligence-led enforcement, stronger border surveillance, and collaboration with sister security agencies to dismantle arms-trafficking networks and safeguard national security. He also warned Customs personnel against colluding with arms traffickers, saying officers who facilitate the movement of illicit weapons would not receive protection from the service.
Customs Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
![]()
metro
Obasanjo Pays Surprise Visit to Adeleke, Tasks Him on Good Governance
Obasanjo Pays Surprise Visit to Adeleke, Tasks Him on Good Governance
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has charged Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, to continue delivering good governance to the people of the state following his re-election victory in Saturday’s governorship poll.
Obasanjo made the call during a surprise congratulatory visit to Adeleke at his country home in Ede on Sunday, hours after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared the governor winner of the keenly contested election. The former president was accompanied by Chief Oyewole Fasawe during the visit.
According to a statement issued by Governor Adeleke’s spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, on Monday, Obasanjo prayed for further success for the governor and urged him to remain committed to good governance and the delivery of dividends of democracy. “Continue to deliver good governance. Continue to meet the needs of your people,” Obasanjo charged the governor. The statement further revealed that Adeleke received the former president with “dancing and a song of praise to God for the successful outcome of the election.”
READ ALSO:
- US Teen Charged With Killing Mother, Brother After ChatGPT Searches
- Davido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
- King’s College Concession: Parents Mobilise for Mass Protest as N100bn Takeover Plan Sparks Outrage
Governor Adeleke, who expressed surprise at the visit, thanked God and the people of Osun State and promised to remain a loyal servant of the people. “Baba, I thank you for this surprise visit. I promise never to disappoint God, the Osun people and all lovers of democracy who made our victory possible,” the governor said. The deputy governor of the state, Prince Kola Adewusi, accompanied Adeleke to receive the former president.
INEC declared Adeleke, who contested on the Accord Party platform, winner with 511,067 votes, defeating his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who polled 444,815 votes. The governor secured victories in 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji won 11. Following his victory, Adeleke also disclosed that President Bola Tinubu had called to congratulate him, expressing appreciation for the President’s support for the democratic process. Adeleke’s re-election now gives him a fresh four-year mandate to continue his administration’s programmes in infrastructure, healthcare, education, and workers’ welfare.
Obasanjo Pays Surprise Visit to Adeleke, Tasks Him on Good Governance
![]()
metro
King’s College Concession: Parents Mobilise for Mass Protest as N100bn Takeover Plan Sparks Outrage
King’s College Concession: Parents Mobilise for Mass Protest as N100bn Takeover Plan Sparks Outrage
The controversy over the Federal Government’s decision to concession King’s College, Lagos, to the King’s College Old Boys’ Association (KCOBA) has intensified, with parents and other stakeholders mobilising for a mass protest against the arrangement.
Chairman of the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA), Mr Peter Oluwaseye, confirmed the planned protest, stating that widespread opposition from parents, civil servants, and the host community had made the demonstration necessary. He emphasised that parents strongly object to the move, insisting that King’s College remains a public institution that should not be taken over by its former students. “Parents are not in support of the move. Senior civil servants are also saying no to it. The community is also not in support. Old boys should not see the college as their property. They attended the school just like the current students are doing. King’s College is a public property,” he said. The PTA chairman argued that KCOBA should support the institution through voluntary contributions rather than seek control of its administration. “The old students should give to the college willingly, not wanting to take it over. They won’t succeed. There is no private entity that can assemble the type of teachers we have in the college. We say no to concession, whatever guise it is being planned,” he stated.
The controversy follows an announcement in July 2026 by KCOBA President, Alhaji Kashim Ibrahim-Imam, that the Federal Government had approved the concession of the 116-year-old institution to the old boys’ association. Following the announcement, KCOBA launched a N100 billion endowment fund aimed at repositioning the college and financing infrastructure renewal, teacher development, digital technology, scholarships, research, innovation, and students’ welfare. Among the early contributors were First Lady Oluremi Tinubu, who donated N10 million, while Ibrahim-Imam pledged N1 billion. Former Board of Trustees Chairman, Chief Philip Asiodu, and the association’s new Board Chairman, Alhaji Femi Okunnu, also donated N100 million each. The endowment fund will be chaired by the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, with economist Atedo Peterside serving as Vice Chairman.
READ ALSO:
- Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention
- Osun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
- BREAKING: Edo Assembly leadership shake-up: Agbebaku out, Idaiyi emerges new Speaker
Ibrahim-Imam described the concession as a defining moment in the history of King’s College, potentially serving as a blueprint for the renewal of public education in Nigeria. He allayed fears that the government had sold the college, stressing it was “not a privatisation agreement” but rather “the establishment of a new governance framework through which KCOBA will partner with government to restore, strengthen, modernise, and sustain one of Nigeria’s greatest educational institutions.” He further assured that the school’s federal character would remain intact, with students continuing to be admitted from all parts of the country regardless of ethnic, religious, or economic background. Giving an insight into how the journey towards the concession approval began, Ibrahim-Imam stated: “This historic milestone did not happen overnight. It is the culmination of years of careful planning, sustained advocacy, constructive engagement, and unwavering commitment by generations of Kingsmen who refused to accept that decline should define the future of their alma mater.”
However, the Parents-Teachers Association has strongly opposed the arrangement, expressing concern that the concession could result in increased school fees and other charges beyond the reach of many parents, forcing children from low-income families out of the institution and widening inequality in access to quality education. The PTA also faulted what it described as “secrecy surrounding the proposal,” saying critical stakeholders were not adequately consulted before the concession plan emerged. The Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria (ASCSN) has similarly rejected the concession, warning that handing over King’s College and other Federal Government Colleges to private entities would make them unaffordable for millions of Nigerian students and threaten the jobs of teachers and other workers. The union recalled that similar attempts to privatise unity schools in 2005 were resisted through prolonged negotiations, industrial action, and legal battles.
As the controversy continues, parents have affirmed their commitment to protecting the integrity and accessibility of King’s College. They have called on the Federal Government to immediately suspend the proposed concession and initiate genuine dialogue with all stakeholders before taking any decision.
King’s College Concession: Parents Mobilise for Mass Protest as N100bn Takeover Plan Sparks Outrage
![]()
-
News2 days agoUK Opens 2026/27 Commonwealth Fellowship Applications for Nigerians – How to Apply
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides: Over 100 ‘Imported’ Voters Arrested With New PVCs
-
Politics2 days agoOsun Decides 2026: Over 40,000 Security Operatives Deploy as Voters Brave Tensions to Elect New Governor
-
metro2 days agoCourt Dissolves Marriage After Wife Accused of Nose Ring, Ankle Chain, TikTok Videos with Lover
-
Entertainment2 days agoOsun Election: Davido Alleges Soldiers Tried to Stop Him from Entering State
-
metro2 days ago[UPDATED] Osun Election: Police Arrest Lawmaker with 200 PVCs, 146 Suspected Electoral Mercenaries
-
metro2 days agoWorking in Canada Without a Permit: IRCC Warns of Serious Immigration Consequences
-
Politics2 days agoAPC Humiliates Aregbesola, Wins His Polling Unit in Osun Governorship Election
