Sports
Barcelona produce stunning comeback to beat Celta Vigo

Barcelona produce stunning comeback to beat Celta Vigo
ROBERT Lewandowski’s brace and Joao Cancelo’s winner earned Barcelona a sensational 3-2 comeback victory over Celta Vigo on Saturday to take them top of La Liga.
The Catalans entered the final 10 minutes two goals down after Jorgen Strand Larsen and Anastasios Douvikas struck for the visitors, who seemed on course for a surprise win against the champions.
However, veteran striker Lewandowski netted twice within five minutes to pull Barcelona level and Cancelo sprinted into the box to fire home decisively in the 89th minute.
Wily Celta coach Rafa Benitez set up in his typically defensive fashion, unlike Barcelona’s recent visitors Real Betis and Royal Antwerp, whose attacking intent made them lambs to the slaughter.
Barcelona hit 10 goals in their previous two matches, with their coach Xavi saying it was the best they had played in his reign, but this performance was largely at the other end of the spectrum.
“I was making a lot of technical errors, that’s not normal in my game — I have to improve, we all have to improve,” Cancelo told Movistar.
READ ALSO:
-
‘It’s not Buhari, El-Rufai or Islam related’ – Rep seeks massive retweet of S/Kaduna’s illegal gun factory
-
33 killed in petrol warehouse fire at Seme border
-
10 die as Jigawa records 91 suspected diphtheria cases
“It’s always better to play badly and win than to play well and lose, the three points are the most important thing.”
The hosts controlled the opening stages, albeit without creating much danger, but Celta Vigo pushed ahead against the run of play after 19 minutes.
Andreas Christensen played Strand Larsen onside after a corner was only partially cleared, and the Norwegian forward finished clinically past Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Joao Felix could not control a nicely scooped Frenkie de Jong through pass, before the Dutch midfielder sustained a knock and was replaced by tenacious teenager Gavi.
Celta had a fine chance to score the second but Ter Stegen palmed away Strand Larsen’s header and Lucas de la Torre slashed the rebound over with the goal gaping.
Xavi shuffled his pack at half-time, bringing on Ronald Araujo for his first appearance after a hamstring injury, as well as 16-year-old winger Lamine Yamal.
Araujo stung the palms of Ivan Villar with a powerful drive from distance and Ferran Torres wasted a fine chance, firing wide as he ran through on goal.
Ter Stegen made another fine save to thwart Jonathan Bamba as Celta sought a second.
READ ALSO:
- Worshippers sent out as Nigerian church seals headquarters over leadership crisis
-
Aggrieved kingmakers plotting against emergence of new Alaafin – Basorun
-
Amosun’s men return to APC after 5 years, team up with Abiodun
Eventually, it came through new signing Douvikas, who swept home after running on to Iago Aspas’s perfectly weighted ball.
Quick Comeback
Barcelona hit back swiftly, with Lewandowski flicking the ball over the head of Villar and in off the crossbar after Felix cleverly chipped a ball to him over the top.
It sparked a fire previously lacking in Barcelona’s performance, with Lewandowski netting the second four minutes later after Cancelo cut the ball back into his path.
The on-loan Manchester City defender has made a quick impact since his arrival on the last day of the summer transfer window and is not afraid to drive forward in search of attacking opportunities.
Cancelo found one to win Barcelona the game, dispatching Gavi’s cross past Villar with the prowess of a striker.
“We played a defensive game and the counterattacks worked very well, but Barcelona are used to playing like that and from the 80th minute, tiredness caught up with us,” Celta defender Oscar Mingueza, formerly of Barcelona, told Movistar.
“What we can’t do is let a game that we went two goals up in slip away in this way.”
Barcelona produce stunning comeback to beat Celta Vigo
AFP
Sports
Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final

Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final
It was mission accomplished, said Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti after his side fought back from two-goals behind to snatch a rip-roaring 4-4 draw on Tuesday for a 5-4 aggregate win that put them through against Real Sociedad to the Copa del Rey final.
Ancelotti brushed off questions about a sub-par performance by Real Madrid and praised his players’ effort in what he considered a highly entertaining encounter.
“We have achieved our goal today which was to reach the final and there is not much time to think about it,” Ancelotti told a press conference.
“It was an entertaining game with some mistakes and a lot of good things. It was fun and we are in the final.
READ ALSO:
- Rainstorm destroys schools, mosques, others in Kwara community
- Rivers police arrest General Overseer for alleged homosexuality
- CBN posts $23bn net FX reserve, strongest in three years
“I never saw ourselves out of it because anything can happen at the Bernabeu. When we have to come from behind, we never give up. We never give up, especially at home, with the fans by our side.”
Ancelotti said David Alaba was not to blame after he deflected two balls into his own goal, calling it “bad luck” by the Austrian defender, but urged his defence to play with better focus moving forward.
“It’s not good to concede four goals in a game,” Ancelotti said.
“Right now we are a team that has a lot of effectiveness up-front, but little balance.
“However, we can’t ignore what we did in attack, scoring four goals against Real is not that easy. I think we are doing quite well.”
Real Madrid, who have won the Spanish Cup only once in over a decade, will play either Barcelona or Atletico Madrid in a mouth-watering final in Seville next month.
Atletico fought back to hold Barca to a thrilling 4-4 draw ahead of Wednesday’s second-leg in Madrid.
Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final
Sports
Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham

Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham
Arsenal secured a crucial 2-1 victory over Fulham at the Emirates Stadium, with Bukayo Saka making a triumphant return from injury to score the decisive goal.
The match saw the Gunners dominate possession, but it was Fulham who came closest to scoring in the opening stages.
Arsenal struggled to break down their resolute defence early on, with Gabriel Martinelli having a goal ruled out for offside and several opportunities narrowly missed.
In the 37th minute, Mikel Merino gave Arsenal the lead, collecting a pass from Ethan Nwaneri to strike a low shot past Fulham goalkeeper Bernd Leno. The first half ended with Fulham unable to find an equaliser, despite a couple of dangerous moments.
READ ALSO:
- Nigerian Army opens online registration for new intakes
- Woman arrested for trafficking daughter for N50,000 to Mauritania
- Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
The turning point came just after the hour mark when Arsenal doubled their advantage. Gabriel Martinelli delivered a perfect cross, and Saka, making his return to action, rose to head home a brilliant goal. The Gunners were cruising with a comfortable 2-0 lead.
However, Fulham responded on added time when Rodrigo Muniz capitalised on a deflected shot to pull one back for the visitors. Despite the late pressure, Arsenal’s defence held firm, and the match finished 2-1 in their favour.
Saka’s return was a key moment, not only for the goal but also for the confidence he brought to the team, sealing another vital three points for Arsenal in their quest for the title.
Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham
Sports
Maguire, Yoro set for Man United return

Maguire, Yoro set for Man United return
Manchester United manager, Ruben Amorim has confirmed that defenders, Harry Maguire and Leny Yoro are available to play against Nottingham Forest in the Premier League on Tuesday.
The Red Devils boss issued fitness updates on the injured players in the squad including England left-back Luke Shaw, who Amorim says he has returned to training but is still building his fitness before a return to first-team action.
Leny Yoro has suffered repeated injuries this season after arriving at the club from Lille in the summer.
The 19-year-old has been out since March 9 when he picked up a foot injury during United’s draw with Arsenal.
Maguire has been unavailable with a calf injury since the end of February.
READ ALSO:
- Amosun, Adeola engage in verbal attack over project diversion allegation
- Iran warns US against attack, threatens with nuclear weapon
- Lagos Govt says speed limit rules have come to stay
Amorin confirmed that Luke Shaw returned to training on Friday but also noted that the left-back is still working on his fitness before a return to first-team action.
“Luke [Shaw] is not ready yet. We are starting to do some drills with the team but we are building Luke,” Amorim said.
The Red Devils manager also issued injury updates on Mason Mount, Kobbie Mainoo, Johnny Evans, and Lisandro Martinez.
“Mason Mount is feeling better but he was on the bench in the last game, Kobbie [Mainoo] is almost ready, Jonny [Evans] is recovering, [Lisandro Martínez] is out. [Harry] Maguire is also ready to go to the game and [Leny] Yoro, yes,” Amorim added.
Maguire, Yoro set for Man United return
-
metro2 days ago
BREAKING: Senator Natasha defies restrictions, arrives homecoming rally by helicopter [VIDEO]
-
metro2 days ago
Uromi: Edo residents flee towns over likely reprisal attack, arrest
-
International3 days ago
In pictures: Eid celebrations around the world
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: ‘Cancel your homecoming’ — Police tell Senator Natasha
-
metro3 days ago
How they murdered my Kano-bound passengers in Edo
-
metro2 days ago
‘I was offered N5bn bribe to impeach Fubara’
-
metro22 hours ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
Sports3 days ago
Nigerian boxer collapses, dies in ring during fight in Ghana