Business
CBN’s ‘action’ yields result as Naira appreciates to N1,382 per dollar
CBN’s ‘action’ yields result as Naira appreciates to N1,382 per dollar
The local currency continued on a recovery note on Thursday with naira appreciating significantly against the dollar on the strength of recent interventions by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
From N1,536.83 in the previous day, the naira appreciated to N1,382.35/$ at the Nigerian Autonomous Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM), the first time in a long while that the local currency would record such a massive gain.
This was coming 24 hours after the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) announced it had cleared $7bn valid foreign exchange claims while increasing the country’s forex reserves.
CBN’s Acting Director of Corporate Communications, Hakama Sidi-Ali, announced this in a statement on Wednesday.
The statement partly reads, “The Central Bank of Nigeria has announced that all valid foreign exchange backlogs have now been settled, fulfilling a key pledge of the CBN Governor, Mr Olayemi Cardoso, to process an inherited backlog of $7bn in claims.
“Clearance of the foreign exchange transactions backlog is part of the overall strategy detailed in last month’s Monetary Policy Committee meeting to stabilise the exchange rate and thereby curb imported inflation, spurring confidence in the banking system and the economy.
Apart from the massive gain recorded at the official market, the local currency also stabilised yesterday at the parallel market exchanging at N1,500 to a dollar, according to checks in Lagos, Abuja and Kano.
In Lagos, the dollar was traded at N1,500 to N1,520 yesterday with the operators confirming relative stability in the market.
READ ALSO:
- African Games: Ghana’s Black Princesses defeat Nigeria 2-1 to win gold
- Canada to cut intake of temporary workers from Nigeria, others
- New minimum wage Implementation begin April – NLC
A BDC operator, Haruna Agege, said the local currency is expected to appreciate against the dollars in days to come.
“So if you have dollars at home, it is advisable to bring it out,” he said.
In Abuja, a cross section of Bureau de Change operators in Wuse stated that the dollar has been falling against the Naira since the beginning of the week.
Gidado Muktar, a BDC operator said, “We have been seeing a lot of changes since Monday when the week started. I can tell you that when we started the week, the dollar was N1,700 to a dollar. By Tuesday it dropped to N1,600 and as we speak today Thursday it is fluctuating between N1,480 to N1,500/$,” he said.
Mukhtar added that he is happy that the Naira is appreciating which vindicates his colleagues that were accused of speculation.
In Kano, Alhaji Yusuf Kura, a BDC operator said operators buy dollar at the rate of N1490 and sell to prospective customers at the rate N1500 . Previously it traded at N1,520, he said.
Controversy over foreign airlines’ funds
Despite CBN claiming it has cleared all verified backlogs, there is controversy over the foreign airlines’ trapped funds as the foreign airlines claimed their funds are still trapped with commercial banks.
It would be recalled that in January when the CBN announced it had cleared all foreign airlines’ trapped funds, the carriers said the bulk of the trapped funds from ticket sales on the billing settlement platform (BSP) of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) is yet to be cleared.
A foreign airline representative who spoke on the condition of anonymity said, “Payments are being made as I write. Only IATA can confirm the value. This is because these monies are tickets sold via BSP. IATA manages the BSP. The bulk of the funds held are in the BSP. BSP sales make up about 70% of airline sales.”
President of the Association of Foreign Airline Representatives in Nigeria (AFARN), Dr. Kingsley Nwokoma said foreign airlines’ trapped funds remain uncleared.
FG not owing foreign airlines – Travel agents
President of the National Association of Nigerian Travel Agencies (NANTA), Mrs. Susan Akporiaye in a chat with Daily Trust said as it currently stands the Federal Government is not owing foreign airlines and asked the operators to sort out their issues with their commercial banks.
“The Federal Government is not owing the airlines. If the airlines still have some issues, it is the money with the commercial banks, not with the government and the CBN has also helped them as well by releasing the circular that the banks should sell to the airlines and we had report that the airlines have been getting their money although there is no update on whether the entire $700m has been cleared or not.
CBN’s ‘action’ yields result as Naira appreciates to N1,382 per dollar
(DAILY TRUST)
Auto
Chanrai Storms Nigeria’s Gas Market, Unveils High-Capacity CNG, LNG Solutions to Power Energy Shift
Chanrai Storms Nigeria’s Gas Market, Unveils High-Capacity CNG, LNG Solutions to Power Energy Shift
By Rasheed Bisiriyu
Nigeria’s drive towards cleaner and more affordable transport fuel gathered fresh momentum on Friday as Chanrai Nigeria Limited formally entered the country’s gas distribution space, unveiling high-capacity CNG and LNG compression technologies in Lagos.
The company, a member of the globally diversified Kewalram Chanrai Group, announced a strategic partnership with India’s Tulip Compression to roll out advanced compressor packages and integrated “single window” CNG solutions aimed at accelerating the Federal Government’s Presidential CNG Initiative.
Chief Operating Officer of Chanrai Nigeria Limited, Anil Sahgal, described the Tulip CNG Compressor Packages as a “game-changer” for Nigeria’s evolving energy landscape.
“With our commitment to safety, efficiency and OEM-grade partnership, we’re empowering the nation to achieve its CNG ambitions while driving economic growth and environmental sustainability,” Sahgal said.
The move marks Chanrai’s expansion beyond its traditional business interests — which span automobiles, agro-products, healthcare and fast-moving consumer goods — into the fast-growing gas infrastructure segment, as fleet operators and industrial users increasingly seek alternatives to petrol and diesel.
Under the partnership, Chanrai Nigeria and Tulip Compression will deliver Compression Station on Single Window (CssW) solutions — integrating compressors, dispensers, storage and stainless-steel tubing under one brand — to simplify deployment and reduce installation timelines.
The compressor packages come in a wide capacity range, from 250 to 4,500 standard cubic metres per hour, making them suitable for small refuelling stations as well as large gas hubs.
A 1,400 SCMH gas engine-driven booster compressor is designed to refuel heavy-duty CNG trucks in about 20 minutes by drawing gas from tube trailers.
The systems are available in both electric motor-driven and gas engine-driven configurations, eliminating the need for large gas generators while ensuring energy efficiency and lower life-cycle costs.
According to the company, the equipment features dual-chamber leak-proof safety systems, advanced sealing technology to eliminate gas loss and global certifications including ATEX, CE, BIS and SGS standards.
The unveiling underscores the growing private sector response to government reforms encouraging gas adoption as a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative fuel.
With the compressor packages now available for immediate orders, Chanrai Nigeria said it would provide 24/7 after-sales support, operations and maintenance services, as well as remote asset monitoring solutions.
The development signals intensifying investment in CNG infrastructure as Nigeria seeks to deepen local gas utilisation, reduce fuel import dependence and cushion consumers from volatile petrol prices.
Entertainment
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
A team of leading Nigerian artistes and entertainment executives has paid a courtesy visit to the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Kayode Opeifa, ahead of the 2026 Valentine Love Train experience.
The delegation included celebrated musician Sunny Neji, Managing Director of Ojez Entertainment Limited, Joseph Odobeatu, and veteran vocalist Yinka Davies.
The high-profile visit formed part of final preparations for the Valentine-themed train ride scheduled for Saturday, February 14, 2026, at the Mobolaji Johnson Train Station.
Dr. Opeifa received the artistes and commended the creative industry for choosing the national rail system as the venue for the annual Valentine event. He noted that the partnership reflects growing public confidence in the corporation’s safety standards, operational improvements, and renewed focus on customer experience.
READ ALSO:
- 2027 General Elections: INEC Announces February 20 for Presidential Poll
- EFCC Nabs Three in Borno Over Viral ₦500 Naira Mutilation Video
- Omokri Accuses El-Rufai of Rights Abuses During Kaduna Governorship
“The 2026 edition aims to deliver an unforgettable experience while deepening public engagement with the rail service,” Opeifa said, reaffirming the NRC’s commitment to providing secure and efficient transport for passengers during special events.
Organisers disclosed that this year’s edition will feature an expanded entertainment lineup, including performances and appearances by Charles Inojie, Yinka Davies, Sunny Neji, and Segun Arinze. Guests are expected to enjoy live music, comedy, a couple’s game show, fashion showcases, and special performances throughout the Lagos–Ibadan–Lagos train ride, culminating in a Valentine banquet ball.
The Valentine Love Train has in recent years become a fixture on the NRC’s festive calendar, attracting couples, families, and leisure seekers with its blend of travel, romance, and entertainment. The initiative also aligns with ongoing efforts by the corporation to promote rail transportation as a viable and enjoyable alternative for intercity travel.
With final logistics being fine-tuned, organisers say the 2026 edition promises to combine safety, comfort, and premium entertainment for participants.
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
Auto
Lagos Motor Fair, Autoparts Expo to begin March 17, targeting Investment, Industry Growth
Lagos Motor Fair, Autoparts Expo to begin March 17, targeting Investment, Industry Growth
The 20th edition of the Lagos International Motor Fair and the 13th Africa Autoparts Expo is set to spotlight investment, technology transfer and industry collaboration as organisers intensify efforts to position Nigeria as a major automotive hub in West Africa.
The three-day event, which will also incorporate the Africa Motorcycle and Tricycle Expo, is scheduled to hold from March 17 to 19, 2026, at the Federal Palace Hotel in Lagos.
Organisers said the upcoming edition would focus strongly on accelerating the development of the country’s automotive sector by creating platforms that connect global manufacturers with local industry players.
“Nigeria has all it takes to become a global automotive industry giant,” the organisers stated, noting that the fair remains a strategic contribution toward driving growth despite prevailing industry challenges.
Chairman of the Organising Committee, Ifeanyichukwu Agwu, said the exhibitions had over the years evolved into a key platform for attracting investment into automobile spare parts and accessories manufacturing while strengthening aftermarket activities across the region.
“We have consistently used these events to attract investment into auto components manufacturing and to showcase the enormous capacity and potential of this critical sector of the economy,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- First Daughter of Murtala Muhammed Reflects on Life Without Father, Preserving His Legacy
- Anambra Police Arrest Motel Owner, Two Others Over Firearms, Drug Trafficking
- 2 Nigerians Killed While Fighting for Russian Army in Ukraine War
Agwu, who also serves as Managing Director of BKG Exhibitions Limited, disclosed that the 2026 edition would place emphasis on business-to-business engagement between original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and auto parts dealers from Nigeria and neighbouring countries.
According to him, the goal is to foster partnerships capable of leading to the establishment of component manufacturing plants locally.
He added that the exhibition is expected to support government policies aimed at building a sustainable automotive industry by stimulating the emergence of companies involved in component production.
Calling for policy adjustments, Agwu urged the Federal Government to prioritise spare parts and components manufacturing over vehicle assembly, arguing that deeper technology transfer and innovation occur within the components segment.
“Spare parts manufacturing is where real technology transfer occurs. It involves precision engineering, planning and innovation—far beyond the coupling processes involved in assembly,” he said, while also advocating a review of the existing automotive policy to better support local production.
Despite the challenges associated with hosting large-scale industry events, Agwu reaffirmed the organisers’ commitment to sustaining the platform, warning that neglecting the automotive sector could have far-reaching consequences for the economy and employment.
The organisers said more than 100 original components manufacturers from countries including China, India, South Korea, South Africa, Singapore and Turkey, alongside major automobile distribution and manufacturing companies operating in Nigeria, are expected to participate.
In addition to product exhibitions, the event will feature seminars and technical workshops focusing on policy, investment opportunities, technology transfer and industry best practices, with each day structured to deliver value to exhibitors, investors, policymakers and other stakeholders.

Lagos Motor Fair, Autoparts Expo to begin March 17, targeting Investment, Industry Growth
-
Education22 hours agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News14 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News1 day agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoCourt Orders DIA to Produce Cleric Accused of Coup Plot by February 18
-
metro1 day agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
-
metro24 hours agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu


