Health
COVID-19: Germany, Italy, Holland, others ban UK flights
Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Austria, Belgium and Israel are among countries that have banned flights from the United Kingdom to contain a new wave of the coronavirus, which scientists say is 70 per cent more infectious than the first.
The countries made the announcement after the Dutch government confirmed at least one case of the same mutation that made parts of Britain to return to lockdown rules.
The Dutch health ministry said the case in Holland had been identified at the beginning of December and was being investigated.
The ministry said that the air travel ban from 5am (GMT) on Sunday 20 December would likely stay in place until at least January 1, 2021.
“An infectious mutation of the COVID-19 virus is circulating in the United Kingdom. It is said to spread more easily and faster and is more difficult to detect,” the Dutch health ministry said in a statement.
The UK recorded 35,928 of coronavirus cases in the latest 24-hour period. Another 326 deaths have been announced within 28 days of a positive test.
Europe’s biggest economy Germany has also announced it would restrict travel between Germany and the UK from midnight on Sunday 20 December. It has also banned travellers from South Africa, after the two countries reported identifying a new coronavirus strain.
A regulation is being drawn up and the federal government is in contact with European partners, a spokesperson for the German government said.
Similar measures have been announced by Belgium, which has suspended flights. Trains to Belgium have also been banned.
Italy’s foreign minister Luigi Di Maio, said that the country’s government had decided to act after Britain “raised the alarm”over a new form of COVID-19 strain.
He said that the government has a “responsibility to protect Italians” and as such “after having warned the British government, the health ministry will sign a provision for the suspension of flights with the UK.”
Also, Austria said it would halt flights from the UK, however, it had not confirmed the details on the timing of the ban at the time of publication.
Bulgaria similarly said it would suspend flights to and from the UK over the new variant of COVID-19.
Other EU countries such as France are also reportedly planning similar course.
Health
NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban
NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban
Members of the National Union of Food, Beverage and Tobacco Employees (NUFBTE) on Thursday staged a protest at the NAFDAC office in Isolo, Lagos, demanding the reversal of the agency’s ban on sachet and PET-bottled alcoholic beverages. The union claims the ban contradicts a directive reportedly issued by the Federal Government, and they want production lines that were sealed to be immediately reopened.
The protesters, including manufacturers, distributors, and industry workers, argued that the enforcement of the ban threatens jobs, livelihoods, and the operations of small and medium-sized enterprises that rely on sachet alcohol sales. During the demonstration, union members handed a petition to NAFDAC officials, urging dialogue and a more balanced approach that safeguards both public health and the food and beverage sector.
NUFBTE cited alleged instructions from the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the Office of the National Security Adviser, claiming that NAFDAC should suspend enforcement. The union said continued closure of production lines and restriction of alcohol sales would lead to economic hardship and widespread job losses.
READ ALSO:
- Naira Could Trade Below ₦1,000/$ With Dangote Refinery at Full Capacity — Otedola
- Adeyanju Urges EFCC, DSS to Probe El-Rufai Over Alleged Corruption, Insecurity in Kaduna
- Granite-Laden Truck Kills Motorist, Leaves Wife Critically Injured in Lekki–Ajah Crash
However, NAFDAC rejected the claims, with Director-General Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye stating that no federal directive has instructed the agency to halt the ban. In a statement, the regulator described circulating reports as “false” and “misleading,” emphasizing that its actions are within statutory authority and in line with official government policies.
“NAFDAC has not received any formal directive to suspend its regulatory or enforcement activities concerning sachet alcohol,” the statement read. The agency reiterated its commitment to public health protection, regulatory compliance, and consumer safety, warning the public and industry stakeholders to rely on verified information from official channels.
The ban, implemented earlier this month, targets alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and containers smaller than 200ml, a measure aimed at reducing unregulated alcohol consumption and protecting vulnerable groups. While the policy has faced backlash from workers and businesses, NAFDAC maintains that it is necessary for national health and safety.
The protest underscores the tension between regulatory enforcement and economic concerns, as workers continue to call for inclusive policymaking and engagement with industry stakeholders to mitigate the impact on jobs and local businesses.
NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban
Health
NAFDAC Clarifies: No Government Directive to Halt Sachet Alcohol Enforcement
NAFDAC Clarifies: No Government Directive to Halt Sachet Alcohol Enforcement
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has dismissed reports claiming that the Federal Government ordered a suspension of its enforcement activities against sachet alcohol and 200ml PET bottle alcoholic beverages, describing the reports as “false and misleading.”
In a statement signed by its Director-General, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, the agency clarified that it has not received any formal communication from the Federal Government instructing it to halt regulatory or enforcement operations. NAFDAC stressed that all its actions are carried out within its statutory mandate and guided by existing laws and official government directives.
“The said publication is false, misleading, and does not reflect any official communication received by the Agency from the Federal Government,” the statement read. Prof. Adeyeye reiterated that enforcement of regulations on sachet alcohol remains active and any changes to national regulatory policies would be officially communicated through authorised channels.
READ ALSO:
- Suspected IED Explosion Rocks Bayelsa Secretariat, Police Arrest Suspect
- Regina Daniels Shares Emotional Message on Children’s Welfare Amid Custody Battle
- Electricity Workers Serve 21-Day Nationwide Strike Notice to FG
NAFDAC warned that the spread of unverified information can cause public confusion, economic uncertainty, and misinterpretation of government policy. The agency urged the public, industry stakeholders, and the media to rely only on verified information released via its official platforms and government communication channels.
The clarification comes amid ongoing concerns over the public health risks of sachet alcohol, which has been associated with poisoning incidents and misuse, particularly among young people. NAFDAC reiterated its commitment to protecting public health, ensuring compliance in the food and beverage sector, and maintaining national interest while carrying out its regulatory duties.
The agency’s statement underscores that all enforcement operations targeting unsafe alcohol products will continue without interruption, aiming to safeguard consumers and uphold public safety.
NAFDAC Clarifies: No Government Directive to Halt Sachet Alcohol Enforcement
Health
FG Ends ‘No Work, No Pay’, Clears January Salaries After 84-Day JOHESU Strike
FG Ends ‘No Work, No Pay’, Clears January Salaries After 84-Day JOHESU Strike
The Federal Government has officially lifted the “No Work, No Pay” directive imposed during the 84-day nationwide strike by the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) and approved the immediate payment of January 2026 salaries for all affected health workers.
The decision followed the suspension of the industrial action after a successful conciliation meeting between the Federal Government and JOHESU leadership, prompting the union to direct its members nationwide to resume work in the interest of patients, health system stability, and national public health security.
In a statement issued by the Assistant Director, Press and Public Relations of the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, Ado Bako, the Minister of State for Health, Dr. Iziaq Adekunle Salako, said the resolution reflects the government’s commitment to dialogue, fairness, and the protection of Nigeria’s health workforce.
READ ALSO:
- Former NAHCON Chief Explains Why He Stepped Down, Denies Conflicts
- Fubara Reaffirms Commitment to Wike’s Vision
- Housing Crisis: ₦1.5m Rent vs ₦70k Minimum Wage Sparks Outcry in Nigeria
“The Federal Government remains fully committed to the welfare, dignity, and professional advancement of all health workers across Nigeria. This resolution demonstrates that dialogue, mutual respect, and good faith remain the most effective tools for resolving industrial disputes in our health sector,” Salako said.
The minister acknowledged the sacrifices made by health workers during the prolonged strike and assured JOHESU members that no worker would be victimised, sanctioned, or intimidated for participating in the action.
“Government has therefore approved the immediate payment of January 2026 salaries and assures all JOHESU members that no reprisal will follow the industrial action,” he added.
Salako further reaffirmed the administration’s commitment to sustained engagement with health sector unions, noting that discussions would continue on the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and outstanding issues relating to the adjustment of the Consolidated Health Salary Structure (CONHESS).
He disclosed that the Federal Government has committed to making provisions for the proposed salary adjustments in the 2026 Appropriation Act, in line with the recommendations of the existing technical committee template.
“The inclusion of salary adjustment provisions in the 2026 budget framework reflects our seriousness about achieving sustainable solutions for the health workforce through concrete policy and budgetary actions,” the minister stated.
He commended the spirit of cooperation and patriotism displayed by all parties throughout the negotiation process and reassured Nigerians of the government’s commitment to uninterrupted, quality, and accessible healthcare services nationwide.
FG Ends ‘No Work, No Pay’, Clears January Salaries After 84-Day JOHESU Strike
-
Education3 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News2 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
News14 hours agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News3 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu
-
Entertainment2 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road



You must be logged in to post a comment Login