Connect with us

Politics

Ekiti 2022: Oni’s ambition suffers setback as Fayose, Olujimi settle rift

Published

on

Segun Oni

The governorship ambition of former governor of Ekiti State, Engr Segun Oni, may have suffered setback as the two contending groups in the People’s Democractic Party (PDP), the Osoko Political Assembly led by former Governor Ayo Fayose and another (Repositioning Group) led by the Senator representing Ekiti South, Biodun Olujimi have resolved not to support his ambition.

Our reporter was told that the two groups reasoned that Oni just returned to the party from the APC and he was not part of the Ekiti PDP Congresses and litigations, and therefore does not have any structure to support his ambition.

“Having failed to realize the governorship ambition in the APC that he decamped to eight years ago, he can’t come to the PDP to reap where he did not sow,” the source said Oni was told at the Lagos meeting.

The Fayose and Olujimi led groups have settled their rift and are said to have now resolved to support any candidate from either of their groups.

Credible source disclosed to our reporter that following the directive of the PDP National Chairman, Senator Iyorchia Ayu and other leadership of the party, a seven-man committee, comprising of Fayose and two persons from his group as well as Olujimi and two persons from her group met in Lagos last Monday. Oni was said to have been allowed to attend the meeting as an observer.

The Monday meeting was aftermath of the stakeholders meeting held in Abuja on December 20 and 21, 2021, in which it was established that there were only two groups in the PDP in Ekiti State.

The source said that at the Lagos meeting, the two groups said in his (Oni) presence that “he is on his own as far as his governorship ambition is concerned.”

The PDP Deputy Governorship candidate in the 2018 election, Hon Deji Ogunsakin and former House of Reps member, Hon Segun Adekola represented the Fayose group in the meeting while former Senator, Duro Faseyi and Otunba Yinka Akerele represented the Olujimi group.

“Fayose and Olujimi have resolved to work together and they have already put machineries in motion to bring all their supporters together and back whoever emerges as candidate from the aspirants in their two groups.

“This was also reiterated in the meeting with stakeholders, held in Ado Ekiti on Thursday, December 30, 2021. The meeting was attended by selected members from the two groups, with Oni and other aspirants in attendance,” the source said.

A former House of Assembly member, Hon. Olawale Onigiobi told our reporter that the coming together of Fayose and Olujimi appeared to have unsettled Oni’s camp in the last 48 hours.

Onigiobi said “they have embarked on campaign of calumny to the extent of generating letter on behalf of a faceless APC group to the party’s Caretaker Committee Chairman, Governor Mai Mala Buni, insinuating a working alliance between Fayose and Governor Kayode Fayemi.

“Also, they have been circulating series of negative write ups, accusing Fayose and Olujimi of working in alliance with Governor Fayemi and the APC.

“In other words, only those in Oni’s camp, most of who only returned to the party from the APC last year are desirous of victory for the PDP. Fayose, Olujimi and others that they met in the party do not want PDP to win. What a way to campaign for a party governorship ticket!

“Won’t PDP field a candidate who can win the Ekiti governorship election if he (Oni) had remained in the APC? And if Fayose and Olujimi are enemies of PDP as being painted, who then will PDP rely on to win the governorship election? Is it only Oni? And why did he not get the APC ticket in 2018 if he was that popular?”

Senator Olujimi, reacting in Ekiti PDP General WhatsApp platform said; “Just stumbled on this. I hope fmr Gov Oni is reading and taking notes. I don’t know where these faceless writers from the dark are coming from. Where were they when we started the movements? Do they know the pains we’ve been through? Are they aware of the issues? Do they think the folly on our faces are deeply entrenched in our being? Are we subservient to these vile writers? We kept the party alive, that’s why people can come and make aspiration their main focus. Some of us are quiet, not because we don’t know what to say or Commission stupid write ups, but because of our belief in the unity of the party.

“I laugh hard when I hear one person is the only one that can win! Some of us have been around long enough to tell the real stories. We are just decent and circumspect.”

Our reporter however gathered that a meeting will be held in Abuja tomorrow, January 3 where report of settlement between the two groups will be presented to the party leadership. The meeting was earlier fixed for December 29, 2021, but was shifted to January 3.

Meanwhile, Oni in his reaction, dissociated his campaign structures from the emerging campaigns of calumny and blackmails geared towards the governorship polls later in 2022.

Oni stated that he had no rift with the leading PDP leaders in Ekiti State, ex-Gov Fayose and Senator Olujimi, and therefore would not engage in campaigns inimical to PDP chances in the coming polls.

He noted that “At the meeting in Abuja, I apologised to Gov Fayose for any personal ill-feeling that he must have experienced based my relationship towards him and he stood up to embrace me. The interpersonal issues are over. We have put that behind us.

“My respect for Senator Olujimi is intact, and I enjoy a cordial relationship with her. She has done well for our state and the country at large.

“ I urge members of my team and supporters to campaign reasonably. Whoever wins all of us will support. We will also ensure that all the various people participate in government. We must stop abuses and play mature politics.”

Vanguard

Politics

Kebbi rep rejoins APC four months after defecting to PDP

Published

on

A member of the House of Representatives from Kebbi State, Bello Yakubu, has returned to the All Progressives Congress (APC) about four months after leaving the party for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

The lawmaker representing Birnin Kebbi/Kalgo/Bunza federal constituency said he rejoined the APC following calls by his supporters to do so.

He lost his bid for re-election into the lower chamber of the National Assembly under the PDP in May this year.

Speaking with journalists on Monday in Birnin Kebbi, the Kebbi capital, the lawmaker said, “APC has been my party, and I came to realise that politics in our dear state is all about development.

“People have been calling me, pleading with me to rejoin the party to continue with the development we have started witnessing in the state, hence my decision to rejoin the party.”

The legislator described Governor of Kebbi, Atiku Bagudu, as “a humble person and a leader who deserves to be supported by all and at all times.”

He said, “In 2019, if you could recall, all the political bigwigs in the state were in APC because of his charisma and manner in dealing with people,” he added.

In May, Bello lost his bid to seek re-election into the House of Representatives after Mohammed Abba-Bello, son of Bello Mohammed-Haliru, a former PDP national chairman, won the PDP ticket.

The lawmaker, who was elected on the platform of the APC in 2019, defected to the PDP in March after a disagreement with some members of the APC in the state.

Continue Reading

Politics

Obi won’t win half of any Nasarawa council – Adeyanju

Published

on

Deji Adeyanju

Human rights activist Deji Adeyanju has reacted to the one-million-man march by Nasarawa residents in support of the Labour Party (LP) flag bearer, Peter Obi.

On Saturday, August 7, a coalition of 56 support groups across the 13 Local Government Areas of Nasarawa State organised a one-million-man march to support Obi.

The group carried several inscriptions which indicated their love and support for the former Anambra Governor and marched from the College of Agriculture junction along Jos Road to the U-turn linking Lafia main market along Makurdi Road.

Reacting to the march, the ‘convener of Concerned Nigerians’ noted despite the ‘mammoth’ crowd who trooped out for Obi, he would still not win half of any local government in Nasarawa in the 2023 general election.

READ ALSO:

Adeyanju also alleged the one-million-man crowd was hired

“Sorry to break your hearts guys but Peter Obi won’t still win even half of an LGA in Nasarawa after the rally yesterday.

“You will be shocked that 90% of those who came out to protest yesterday did so because someone paid them and they won’t vote him. Vawulence dropped, bye”, he tweeted.

Responding to his tweet, one Kelechi Chukwu noted: “Funny enough, when Obi eventually wins in 2023, this guy will say he was doing all he did to push Obi-dients to do more and not to relent in their efforts! He will definitely change the narrative!”

Adeyanju, who retweeted Chukwu’s reaction, added: “Obi will only win here on social media. And I mean all the online polls.”

The Nation

Continue Reading

News

Court to hear ‘certificate forgery’ suit against Tinubu Sept 7

Published

on

A federal high court in Abuja has fixed September 7 for the hearing in a suit seeking the disqualification of the presidential candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, from contesting in the 2023 elections.

The plaintiffs, four APC chieftains, are asking the court to rule that Tinubu is ineligible to run for president in the 2023 presidential election as the party’s candidate because he allegedly submitted false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In a 33-paragraph affidavit in support of the suit deposed to by one Ibiang Miko Ibiang, the plaintiffs averred that Tinubu falsely swore to an affidavit in 1999 in which he claimed to have attended St Paul Aroloya Children Home School, Ibadan -1958-64, and Government College, Ibadan -1965-68 and presented the same to INEC.

Tlaintiffs said the deposition was untrue. They claimed in his INEC form for the 2023 elections that Tinubu refused to include any information about his primary and secondary schools in order to hide the alleged false information he gave INEC.

The plaintiffs are praying the court to determine “Whether having regard to the provision of sections 1 (3); 4(1)and 2; 14(1),(2)(a), and (c)and 42(1)(a)and (b) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended), the provision of section 29(5)of the Electoral Act, 2022 as enacted by the 4th defendant which modified the provision section 31(5) of the Electoral Act,2010(as amended) is not ultra vires the 4th Defendant and therefore unconstitutional, null, void and of no effect whatever.

“Whether having regard to the decision of the supreme court in the case Modibbo Vs Usman (2020) 3 NWLR(PT.1712)470 and the provision of section 137(1)(j) the 3rd defendant has not presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) the 1st defendant and thereby disqualified from participating in the forthcoming 2023 presidential general election,” they said.

Upon the favourable determination of the questions, the plaintiffs are asking for “a declaration that the 3rd defendant (Tinubu) has presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission for the purpose of seeking to be elected into the office of president of the federal republic of Nigeria”.

“A declaration that the 3rd defendant stands disqualified from participating in the 2023 presidential election as a candidate of the 2nd defendant has presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission for the purpose of seeking to be elected into the office of the president of the federal republic of Nigeria.

“An order disqualifying the 3rd Defendant from contesting or participating in the forthcoming 2023 presidential general election as a candidate of the 2nd defendant.

Ruling on an ex parte application, Ahmed Mohammed, the judge, granted an order for substituted service on Tinubu after the plaintiffs’ counsel, Goddy Uche, told the court that substituted service has become necessary because all attempts to serve the presidential candidate proved abortive.

The court ordered that court processes should be served on the national secretariat of the APC and that such service shall be deemed as having been properly served on Tinubu.

Continue Reading

Trending