Electricity: Free meters distribution begins today ahead of new tariff – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Electricity: Free meters distribution begins today ahead of new tariff

Published

on

 By Fola Raheem

Distribution of free electricity meters is expected to commence across the country today as indication has emerged that power customers may start paying new rate for electricity consumed from next week.

Already, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has through its Development Financing Department, released a framework for the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP).

The National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) will roll out the free meters with a simultaneous launch of the scheme in Kano, Kaduna, Eko and Ikeja Disco franchise areas, according to a Presidency source.

President Muhammadu Buhari had initiated the programme to close the metering gap in the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry and eliminate arbitrary estimated billing in the electricity sector.

Newstrends learnt that all arrangements for the launch had been concluded with relevant groups and authorities including representatives of the organised labour and civil society on the ground for adequate motoring and guide during the distribution.

The CBN said an analysis provided by the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission put the metering gap in the NESI – based on recent customer enumeration data – at over 10 million.

“This comprises unmetered customers as well as customers with obsolete meters that need to be replaced,” it stated.

The Presidency source said the “NMMP is to roll out six million meters for all connections points on grid without meters over the next 18 to 24 months, estimating to impact 30 million consumers nationwide.

“Following Mr President’s directive on mass metering, the Central Bank of Nigeria, on October 18th, approved guidelines for funding the mass metering programme which entailed that all meters under the scheme will be locally sourced, creating thousands of manufacturing jobs through lead manufacturers such as MOMAS, MOJEC and others.”

The source also said, “The launch of the NMMP will be part of a continuous effort where all DisCos will go from location to location across the country with their respective Meter Asset Providers to install meters for all Nigerians.”

Minister of State for Power, Prince Godwin Jedy-Agba, had said out of the six million meters planned for distribution, the government would start with one million were expected to be distributed before the end of December this year.

Meanwhile, the government may have given a nod for the resumption of the collection of Service-Based electricity Tariffs (SBT) from next week.

Following a threat of strike by the organised labour, government suspended the implementation of the new electricity tariff regime in September.

But it was learnt on Friday that the labour might have backed down on the issue after the government had agreed to roll out free electricity meters.

It was also resolved that the tariffs for certain categories of power consumers should be reviewed downward.

Those in A and B bands were reduced by 10 per cent, the tariff for C band customers was reduced by 30 per cent.

For the D and E bands, there will be no increase in their tariff.

The Special Adviser on Infrastructure to President Muhammadu Buhari, Mr Ahmad Zakari, confirmed this during the 51st virtual Power Dialogue organised by Nigeria Electricity Hub in Abuja on Thursday.

He said since labour had accepted the new terms, the implementation would begin next week.

News

Tension heightens in Kano over Emir stool, Ulamas seek Tinubu’s intervention

Published

on

Tension heightens in Kano over emir stool, Ulamas asks Tinubu’s to intervene 

Fear has gripped many residents of Kano of a possible chaos after Muhammadu Sanusi II was reinstated as Emir and moved into the palace.

He replaced the 15th Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero, who was asked to vacate the office by the state government.

But Bayero said to be enjoying the backing of the National Security Adviser to the President, Malam Nuhu Ribadu, has vowed to challenge his deposition legally.

This was why he moved into the Gidan Nasarawa (Guest house of the Emir) after securing a court injunction.

Kano State Deputy Governor Aminu Abdussalam accused the former governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, of deploying the Federal might to impose Bayero on people of the state.

He alleged that the former governor connived with NSA Ribadu to provide aircraft to convey the former Emir back to Kano and to assume his seat in the palace.

A Federal High Court in Kano on May 23 ordered the state government not to enforce the Emirate Council Repeal Law 2024.

The law made it possible for the reinstatement of Sanusi II as the 16th Emir of Kano.

Governor Abba Yusuf and Sanusi held a closed door meeting with the security chiefs in the state on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Kano State Ulamas, the umbrella body of top Islamic clerics in the state, on Saturday called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene in the Kano Emirship tussle before it could degenerate into chaos.

The Ulamas in a statement signed by Shaykh Abdullahi Uwais Limanci and 19 others called on the President to allow the people of Kano State to resolve the issue amicably without use of force and loss of lives.

“Mr. President as the leader of the nation you should not allow the contest for a royal stool to degenerate to violence.

“We are calling on Mr. President to allow the people of Kano State to resolve these issues amicably without use of any force and loss of lives,” they stated.

The Kano State Police Command had earlier said that security agencies in the state would adhere strictly to the Federal High Court order that all parties in the Kano Emirate controversy should maintain status quo.

The state Commissioner of Police, Usaini Gumel, said the order by the Kano Governor, Abba Yusuf, to arrest Aminu Bayero was on social media and not formally transmitted.

Bayero appealed to all residents of Kano to maintain law and order, assuring them that justice would be done.

He spoke on Saturday at the mini-palace where he has been since returning to the state after his dethronement.

He said, “I call on the people to remain law-abiding while awaiting the outcome of the legal process in this tussle.

“We call on the authority to do justice in this matter. Kano is a very influential state in Nigeria. Whatever affects Kano affects Nigeria.

“May peace reign in Kano. We pray for Allah to bless Kano with responsible and just leaders.

“Justice is the way to go on every issue. There will be justice. Nobody is above the law. We will accept whatever the law says.

“I appreciate all the people who have shown concern. As I said, justice will take its course. We will keep on praying for peace in Kano State. May Allah the Almighty protect us.”

Continue Reading

News

Kwankwaso: I have no hand in Sanusi’s reinstatement

Published

on

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso

Kwankwaso: I have no hand in Sanusi’s reinstatement

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, leader of the Kwankwasiyya movement and Presidential Candidate of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) in the 2023 General Elections, refuted claims of influencing the reinstatement of Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi II as Emir of Kano.

Despite crowning Sanusi as Emir in 2014, Kwankwaso denied involvement in his reinstatement following Abdullahi Ganduje’s dethronement in 2020.

With the NNPP’s victory in the 2023 governorship election, Kwankwaso indicated that Sanusi’s dethronement would be scrutinised.

Following the Kano House of Assembly’s repeal of the Emirate Council Law, facilitating Sanusi’s potential return, Kwankwaso disclosed plans to engage with key stakeholders in Kano.

READ ALSO:

Kwankwaso clarified, “I will go to Kano very soon. We are still working together with the Governor. It’s just a matter of offering advice.”

Regarding the review of Sanusi’s case, Kwankwaso asserted, “When I said we will revisit the case, I didn’t say the direction to follow… What happened appears to be a vendetta or cheating.”

On the emirate’s future and political influence, Kwankwaso urged for impartiality, stating, “Those that are looking at it from the perspective of whether it’s going to be tenure-based are somehow right… everybody should sit down where he belongs.”

Kwankwaso: I have no hand in Sanusi’s reinstatement

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Gov Yusuf orders arrest of dethroned Kano Emir Bayero

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

BREAKING: Gov Yusuf orders arrest of dethroned Kano Emir Bayero

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of of Kano State has ordered the immediate arrest of the former Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero.

In a statement, which Sanusi Bature Dawakin Tofa, his spokesperson, issued on his behalf, Yusuf accused Ado Bayero of creating tension in the state.

“The former Emir was smuggled into Kano city last night in an attempt to forcefully return to the palace two days after being deposed by the Governor.”

READ ALSO:

“The Governor, it was confirmed that the new Emir, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, arrived at the palace in the company of the Governor, the Deputy Governor, the Speaker of the State Assembly, and other top government functionaries at about 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, 25th May 2024.

“As the Chief Security Officer of the state, His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf, has directed the Commissioner of Police to arrest the deposed Emir with immediate effect for disturbing public peace and attempting to destroy the relative peace the state enjoys.”

Newstrends had reported how the 15th Emir returned to the ancient city.

BREAKING: Gov Yusuf orders arrest of dethroned Kano Emir Bayero

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content