Connect with us

metro

Elon Musk fires back at Twitter in court

Published

on

Elon Musk

Billionaire Elon Musk, on Friday, filed claims against Twitter as he fights back against the tech firm’s lawsuit demanding he be held to his $44 billion buyout deal.

Musk’s counter-suit was submitted along with a legal defence against Twitter‘s claim that the billionaire was contractually bound to complete the deal he inked in April to buy Twitter, the Chancery Court in the state of Delaware said in a notice.

The 164-page filing was submitted as being “confidential,” meaning the documents were not accessible by the public, the notice indicated.

Rules of the court, however, require Musk to submit a public version of the filing with trade secrets or other sensitive information redacted.

A judge has ordered a five-day trial over Twitter’s lawsuit against Musk to begin on October 17.

READ ALSO:

The Tesla boss wooed Twitter‘s board with a $54.20 per-share offer, but then in July announced he was “terminating” their agreement on accusations the firm misled him regarding its tally of fake and spam accounts.

Twitter, whose stock price closed at $41.61 on Friday, has stuck by its estimates regarding accounts run by software “bots” rather than people, and argued that Musk was contriving excuses to back out of the contract.

The social media platform has urged shareholders to endorse the deal, setting a vote on the merger for September 13.

“We are committed to closing the merger on the price and terms agreed upon with Mr. Musk,” Twitter chief executive Parag Agrawal and board chairman Bret Taylor said in a copy of a letter to investors.

Billions of dollars are at stake, but so is the future of Twitter, which Musk has said should allow any legal speech — an absolutist position that has sparked fears the network could be used to incite violence.

AFP

metro

48 people rescued in distressed boat on Mediterranean Sea

Published

on

German civilian maritime rescuers sailing on a ship named: the Louise Michel has rescued all 48 people from an overcrowded wooden boat in distress.

This took place in the central Mediterranean Sea early  Tuesday, according to tweets.

The boat, financed by proceeds from street artist Banksy and painted pink and white by him as well, reached the search area Monday after the crew was notified of the emergency.

READ ALSO:

Aid organisations are regularly deployed in the Mediterranean to rescue migrants who come into trouble on the dangerous seaway from Northern Africa to Europe.

Many ended up in Italy, where the Interior Ministry had recorded almost 72,300 migrants arriving by sea so far this year, compared to around 47,700 in the same period last year.

The incoming right-wing government wanted to stop the migrant arrivals.

Continue Reading

metro

Lynched persons in Kaduna were terrorists from Sudan — Villagers

Published

on

Birnin-Gwari villagers say the ‘herders’ lynched by a mob in Kaduna State on Sunday were terrorists from the Republic of Sudan.

Chairman of Birnin-Gwari Emirate Progressives Union, Ishaq Kasai, disclosed this in a statement, stressing that the alleged lynched persons were not genuine herdsmen but terrorists.

Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai had condemned in strong words the killing of two herders by a mob in the Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of the state.

In a statement on Sunday, the state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, said the security agencies reported that the mob forceably seized the two herders from security personnel on unsubstantiated claims of being linked with banditry.

But BEPU said it was falsely reported that herders were lynched, asserting that those killed were “international criminal syndicates that had been terrorising the Birnin-Gwari Local Government Area.”

The union also attached an ID card allegedly belonging to one of the terrorists.

It stated, “BEPU findings revealed that the alleged lynching occurred after the suspects forcefully snatched a motorcycle from a farmer at the outskirts of Birnin-Gwari main town.

“Therefore, BEPU is concerned to observe that, the statement issued by Government on the issue did not equally capture the true story.

“More so, on the same day when the mob action occurred, one driver was killed and scores were kidnapped at Dogon Hawa and Tabanni areas. This is in addition to killings and kidnapping of the innocent citizens of Birnin-Gwari on the roads, in farms and their homes which have become a daily occurrence.

“BEPU once more, appreciates the effort of security agencies towards restoring peace in our area and urged government officials in showing concerns to any ugly situation to always be in a cautious mood in issuing any statement that is capable of undermining the peace-loving, helpless people that are under siege by the terrorists. This is with view to averting further escalation of the situation.

“Birnin-Gwari Emirate Progressive Union, BEPU, is saddened with the mob action by aggrieved youths in Birnin-Gwari on Sunday 2nd October, 2022 where two alleged “herdsmen” were killed in a cruel and gruesome manner.”

The union expressed appreciation to the security forces for their efforts and successes recorded in sanitising Birnin-Gwari.

It stated, “BEPU, a distinct and peaceful union is clearly against any form of mob action under any guise and is hereby drawing the attention of the citizens not to resort to taking laws in to their hands irrespective of frustration and provocation. Citizens are urged to always channel their grievances to appropriate authorities and above all continue to devote themselves to prayers for divine intervention in the current insecurity situation.

“The union once more appreciates the efforts and successes recorded by the resilient security forces in their efforts to sanitize Birnin-Gwari general area and call on them to step-up the operations into communities that surround Birnin-Gwari town where bandits are currently demanding and forcing communities to pay “protection fee” and crop harvesting levies, respectively.

“Clearly, while the lynching of suspected bandits is highly condemnable, the Union observes with deep concern the way the issue has been reported to selectively and deliberately portray Birnin Gwari in bad taste, and targeted to prove a false narrative on the issue to endanger the helpless innocent citizens of Birnin-Gwari Local Government.”

Continue Reading

metro

Islamic Cleric Who Saved Christians, Airport Cleaner Among 437 National Honourees

Published

on

Alhaji Abdulahi Abubakar

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has listed an 87-year-old Islamic cleric, Alhaji Abdulahi Abubakar; a cleaner, Joseph Agu; security guard, Rahim Mohammed and Misa Usman, among notable Nigerians to be given the national honours for acts of brotherliness, diligence and honesty.

Abubakar will be decorated with Member, Order of Niger (MON) for saving the lives of 262 fleeing Christians from Boko Haram at Yelwa Gindi Akwati village, Plateau State, at the event scheduled to hold in Abuja on October 11.

Joseph Agu, a cleaner at Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos. will be decorated for a rare display of honesty at his duty post.

In 2015, Agu, a staff of a cleaning company at the Lagos Airport, found and returned $12,200 forgotten inside the toilet by a passenger.

READ ALSO:

Agu, on discovering the money, returned it to the security officials at the airport to the surprise of many Nigerians.

Also, Ibrahim Mohammed Ogbanago, a security guard working for United Bank of Africa (UBA) Plc, found an envelope containing $10,000 at the gate of the bank but returned it.

She was commended at the time by the National Assembly and the airport authorities. Likewise, Musa Isman, a security man attached to V. Venghese, an Indian national and director of the Jawa International Limited.

The gateman, as reliably informed, rejected the offer of a house but requested that a borehole be drilled in his community.

Usman hails from Glijimmi, a Fulani settlement in Birmiwa Local Government Area of Jigawa state. Among other honourees, President Muhammadu Buhari will also confer Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) on Borno State governor, Professor Babagana Zulum.
Tribune

Continue Reading

Trending