Tesla Chief Executive Officer and world’s richest person Elon Musk has expressed concerns about presence of fake accounts on the Twitter platform.
He has thus cast further doubt over his $44bn (£35bn) takeover of Twitter after stating the deal “cannot move forward” until the social media company proves that less than five per cent of its users are fake or spam accounts.
The Tesla chief executive used his Twitter account to say the agreed deal would not progress until the firm showed proof that only a small proportion of its users were fake.
“My offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate. Yesterday, Twitter’s CEO publicly refused to show proof of <5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does.”
Musk announced last week that the deal was “on hold” after he queried Twitter’s claim in filings with the US financial regulator, the Securities and Exchange Commission, that a small proportion of its users were fake or spam.
The Twitter chief executive, Parag Agrawal, attempted to address Musk’s concerns in a lengthy tweet thread on Monday but his efforts to explain the problem “with the benefit or data, facts, and context” were met with a poo emoji from the world’s richest man.
Without citing a source, Musk claimed in a tweet that Twitter is “20% fake/spam accounts” and suggested Twitter’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission were misleading. The company has said that less than 5% of its daily active users are spam accounts.
Twitter’s shares were down 1.7% in premarket trading Tuesday. The stock has erased all its gains in the weeks since Musk disclosed his stake the company and is now trading at $36.80 per share — well below Musk’s offer price of $54.20 per share.
“Twitter is committed to completing the transaction on the agreed price and terms as promptly as practicable,” the company said in a statement Tuesday.
On Monday, Musk exchanged a series of tweets with Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal about the spam account issue.
Twitter (TWTR) suspends “over half a million spam accounts every day,” Agrawal wrote. He also reiterated the 5% statistic, saying that estimate is based on “multiple human reviews … of thousands of accounts” sampled at random. Twitter has previously acknowledged that while it believes its estimates to be “reasonable,” the measurements were not independently verified and the actual number of fake or spam accounts could be higher.
Agrawal’s initial 13 tweets were met with a reply from Musk that was reflective of the unusual and extremely online nature of the deal: a poop emoji.
Musk followed up with a somewhat more thoughtful question. “So how do advertisers know what they’re getting for their money?” Musk asked “This is fundamental to the financial health of Twitter,” he added.
Musk has repeatedly spoken out against bots and spam accounts on Twitter, once describing cryptocurrency spam bots as the platform’s “single most annoying problem.” Anyone familiar with the replies to Musk’s tweets knows they are full of such scams, many of which attempt to leverage Musk’s name.
“The bot issue at the end of the day … feels more to us like the “dog ate the homework” excuse to bail on the Twitter deal or talk down a lower price,” Dan Ives and John Katsingris, analysts at Wedbush Securities, wrote in a note on Monday.
In his Twitter thread, Agrawal said most spam campaigns on Twitter use a combination of humans and automation, rather than being primarily led by bots. Parsing through legitimate and fake accounts can be complicated, he said.
“The hard challenge is that many accounts which look fake superficially — are actually real people,” he said. “And some of the spam accounts which are actually the most dangerous — and cause the most harm to our users — can look totally legitimate on the surface.”
Agrawal said Twitter had been in touch with Musk on the spam issue.
“We shared an overview of the estimation process with Elon a week ago and look forward to continuing the conversation with him, and all of you,” he added.
Sources: CNN and The Guardian
Rolls-Royce Cullinan takes inspiration from new fashion, creates ultimate SUV
In line with their vision of creating an ultimate SUV, Rolls-Royce recently brightened up the Art Basel festival, held in Miami, Florida, the United States, revealing several courageous specifications marked by a progressive styling approach inspired by the fashion industry of today.
“The House of Rolls-Royce [revealed the] ‘Cullinan – Inspired by Fashion’, comprised two prêt-à-porter collections– the bold Re-Belle and striking Fu-Shion,” the super luxury automaker said at the event.
Since its first launch back in 2018, the Rolls-Royce Cullinan has established itself as a vehicle that takes luxury and comfort to a completely new level, according to an online auto journal, Auto Revolution.
Its interior craftsmanship is second to none, being spoiled with the finest materials and incredible attention to detail, giving passengers an unforgettable experience.
Developed under the Rolls-Royce Bespoke Collective label, the British brand’s latest creations are inspired by the brilliant colours and textures seen in the world of high fashion, in an effort to celebrate “the eclectic tastes and lifestyle of [Rolls-Royce] luxury clientele,” and produce genuine pieces of automotive art in the meantime.
Also regarded as a firm statement of the infinite customizing possibilities that their Bespoke program can offer, the Cullinan – Inspired by Fashion collection is comprised of eight distinct personalities.
Each member of the collection comes finished in two interior color-ways in contrasting accents.
The Lime Green and Peony Pink layout schemes are available in the case of Re-Belle, while the Mandarin or Forge Yellow themes uniquely furnish the inside living space of the Fu-Shion, contrasting against the Arctic White or Cashmere Grey bespoke leather upholstery.
Each interior choice may be combined with one of two carefully selected exterior colors, albeit for a more eye-catching or subdued appearance, according to customer preferences.
Even more, in the case of the Re-Belle, the dashboard fascia gets an exquisitely crafted handwoven stainless-steel fabric inspired by metallic garments seen on this year’s catwalks.
The delicate 0.45 mm diameter thread is designed to create a captivating atmosphere on the inside as the vehicle moves, and the handwoven pattern catches and reflects light in distinctive ways.
Complimenting the interior highlights of the Re-Belle are the gorgeous Lime Green, Gunmetal, Wildberry, or Arctic White exterior colors, forming a perfect pairing for the selected interior layouts.
The Fu-Shion models act upon the Black Badge character of the Cullinan, reinterpreting high fashion from a utilitarian perspective, so deeply engraved in Cullinan’s perceived personality, as the pinnacle of luxury that can go effortlessly everywhere.
The RR’s in-house designers devised two interior themes for Fu-Shion: an eye-catching combination of Military Green, Navy Blue, and Mandarin and an Arctic White and Cashmere Grey leather blend contrasting with Forge Yellow accents.
Last but not the least, the Cullinan Fu-Shion can be commissioned in one of four exterior colours, depending on the interior palette: Military Green, Burnout Grey, Forge Yellow, or Tempest Grey.
All the models from the Cullinan – Inspired by Fashion collection come exclusively fitted with the brand-new Starlight Tailgate, a superb addition to the usual Starlight Headliner that is designed to further extend the cosmic ambiance outside the vehicle for the ultimate experience.
Also a bespoke feature, the Starlight Tailgate consists of 192 gently illuminated star-like LEDs embedded into the perforated leather, taking over 22 hours to recreate.
Even more, the vehicles benefit from the Viewing Suite, creating the ideal environment for celestial night exploration, at any given moment.
Of course, a Rolls-Royce Cullinan – Inspired by Fashion collection would not be complete without a matching set of luggage offerings, made to complement each of the four interior theme layouts.
It includes the 24-hour Weekender, the 48-hour Weekender, the Holdall, Tote Bag, and Organiser Pouch, consisting of a total of five pieces that can be purchased either as a complete set or separately.
Abuja-Kaduna train: NRC opens online, mobile app ticketing Sunday 8am
…gives more stringent conditions
As train operation resumes on the Abuja-Kaduna rail corridor this Monday December 5, 2022, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has said that the purchase of tickets by proxy for the Abuja-Kaduna passenger train service will be limited to only minors and a specified number of adult passengers.
It also stated that online and mobile app ticketing would be available from 8am in the on Sunday, December the 4th, 2022 while the ticket offices at the train stations would open from 6:30am on Monday, December the 5th.
This is part of the stringent security measures announced by the NRC as contained in a new statement issued by the management of the corporation.
The statement also indicated that the first train would depart the Rigasa Train Station in Kaduna State to Abuja by 8am while from Abuja, the first train would depart Idu Train Station to Kaduna by 9:45am.
The NRC management also revealed that as part of the new security measures, it is now mandatory for passengers to present their National Identity Number (NIN) and valid boarding ticket before they will be allowed to board.
Part of the statement by the NRC read, “This is to inform the general public that Nigerian Railway Corporation on the directive of the Federal Government through the Ministry of Transportation will resume the Abuja Kaduna Passenger train service on Monday 5th December 2022.
“The commuting public is hereby advised that as part of the new security measures on the Abuja Kaduna service, it is now mandatory to present the following documents before being allowed to board the train:
“National Identification Number (NIN) to every adult boarding the train.
“Valid boarding ticket: No access will be allowed into the departure or arrival hall without a valid ticket.
“Purchase of tickets by proxy is only limited to minors and a specified number of adult passengers.
“All individual adult travellers must submit their NIN before the ticket can be issued.’’
The NRC suspended train service on the Abuja Kaduna route following the attack by some terrorists on a moving passenger train on March 28, 2022, with many passengers on board.
The attack which occurred a few kilometres from Kaduna metropolis had about eight people killed, with dozens injured and some others kidnapped by the bandits.
The terrorists, who attacked the Kaduna-bound train have released hostages in tranches with the last release coming on October 5, 2022.
Labour Party’s structure stronger than APC, PDP, says Utomi
- ‘Two ex-president backing Obi’
Professor of political economy, Pat Utomi, has said two former heads of state are supporters of Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party.
The PUNCH reported Utomi to have spoken in Abuja on Friday during a town hall meeting organised by the BIG-TENT, a coalition of political parties, social movements, and civil society organisations (CSOs), in support of Obi’s presidential ambition.
Utomi, who is the convener of the coalition, did not disclose the names of the ex-heads of the state.
He said the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) do not have a strong structure like the LP.
He said the group had developed “real structures” for the LP to take Nigeria back from those who had misruled the country.
“Money alone doesn’t win elections. Two former heads of state have said to me they are Obidients. A lot of people want to join the movement without joining the Labour Party to ensure that Obi and Baba-Ahmed win to capture our country back from those who have held us down,” he said.
Utomi also said, “The LP has better structures than the Peoples Democratic Party and the All Progressives Congress. When people talk about structures, I kind of laugh because they don’t understand the meaning of structure.
“The structure is a criminal network of people who can fix elections, and we have to stop that; that’s not structure.
“We at the BIG-TENT have worked at developing real structures and they are going to be shocked at what they will see.
“Many of the Peter Obi support groups have structures on their own that can win these elections. At every poll during the election day, we will have 20 people who belong to these structures.
“When they get to the polling units, it won’t be business as usual. And when they try to mess things up by doctoring information technology from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), they will meet us there because we know they are planning things like that but they will meet us there with technology.”
Horror as lovers bury their newborn baby alive in Jigawa
Name govs stealing LG funds, Shehu Sani tells Buhari
Eko Disco worker stabbed for disconnecting Lagos customer
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
News6 days ago
24 hours after swearing-in, Adeleke dethrones three Osun monarchs
News6 days ago
Senate uncovers N200m fraud in Labour ministry payments
Uncategorized6 days ago
Lagos Fourth Mainland Bridge to have three tollgates, three bidders shortlisted
metro2 days ago
Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, abduct Imam, 11 worshippers injured
metro7 days ago
Ebonyi INEC office set on fire, PVCs, ballot boxes burnt
Business7 days ago
NNPC petrol price without subsidy is N400/litre – Marketers
metro6 days ago
NDLEA nabs wanted kingpin, Saudi-bound trafficker with cocaine in sandals
Auto4 days ago
Kia offers football fans fun, prizes, drive in latest EV in Qatar