metro
Ex-police officer kills two family members, one other over Badagry land
Ex-police officer kills two family members, one other over Badagry land
The peaceful Yovoyan community in Badagry, Lagos, was plunged into grief on Tuesday morning following a tragic incident that left three people dead.
An ex-police officer, allegedly accompanied by an accomplice, shot and killed two family members and another individual over a land dispute.
The victims, identified as Mr. Richard Atideka, Mrs. Latevi Atideka—both residents of Yovoyan—and Mr. Muji Onilude, from the nearby Gberefu community, were fatally shot by the assailants.
A survivor of the attack, Mr. David Atideka, shared his harrowing experience, describing the terrifying event that took place between 2:00 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. at the Atideka family compound.
“I was inside my room discussing with my wife when I stepped out to urinate. As I did, I saw two armed men entering the compound. I quickly hid nearby.
“They entered my room, asked for me, and immediately shot my wife in the head. Out of fear, I ran to inform my elder brother, but when I arrived, I found his lifeless body—he had been shot too,” David narrated.
He further alleged that he saw his elder brother, the suspect, the ex-police officer, along with another armed person, leaving the compound after killing his wife and brother.
“The person I saw was my brother, the police officer. I recognised him clearly,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Portable, Speed Darlington set for boxing match
- Ondo bricklayer flees after wife gives birth to triplets
- Edo Gov Okpebholo wins round one as tribunal upholds his election
NAN learnt that the alleged suspected killer had been in a long-standing dispute with his brothers over land ownership.
A reliable source disclosed that the suspect had been attempting to seize land from David and Richard Atideka.
“They had taken the matter to court, where the suspect was arrested and detained but later released on bail. They were due for a final court judgment this Thursday,” the source revealed.
Meanwhile, Mr Yusuf Onilude, the son of slain Muji Onilude, said his father had just left his room moments before he was murdered.
“My father came to my room at about 2:10 a.m. We spoke for a few minutes before he left.
“Less than five minutes later, I heard gunshots outside. I rushed out and saw a man running away. I chased him, but he fired shots in the air and escaped.
“When I returned, I found my father in a pool of blood. He had been shot dead,” he said.
Reacting to the incident, community representative Mr James Yovoyan urged the police to ensure the perpetrators were brought to justice.
Chief Lorence Atideka, the family head, lamented the tragedy, calling on the government to arrest and prosecute everyone involved.
However, Henry Atideka, the son of the alleged killer, denied the accusations, claiming that unknown gunmen carried out the attack.
“My father was not around when the incident happened, and he has been invited by the police.
“Although the family had some disagreements, it was not about land but a conspiracy, which we planned to resolve this Thursday,” he said.
Henry expressed optimism that the police would uncover the truth and punish the culprits.
However, a senior police officer who wished to remain anonymous confirmed that the police had taken the corpses to the General Hospital in Badagry and had launched an investigation into the killings.
Ex-police officer kills two family members, one other over Badagry land
metro
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.
The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.
According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.
READ ALSO:
- Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.
Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.
The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.
Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
metro
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.
Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.
Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.
READ ALSO:
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
- Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.
The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.
In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.
Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.
Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
metro
Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.
The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.
In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.
“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.
Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.
The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.
Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.
During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.
According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.
Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.
She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.
As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International15 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News1 day agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


