Connect with us

metro

Fear persists in Lagos community over burst NNPC pipeline

Published

on

Residents of Igando-Ikotun area are still living in fear over burst fuel pipeline reported in their community early Friday morning.

This is despite the assurances given by the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, that the situation had been brought under control.

Oke-Osanyintolu stated this while giving an update on the leakage caused by vandals.

Suspected pipeline vandals were said to have targeted the NNPC pipeline at Omoboriowo Street, Pipeline bus stop, Igando-Ikotun road.

The vandalism occurred in the early hours of Friday as residents woke up to see fuel gushing out of the NNPC pipeline, causing panic among residents.

The fuel has been flowing into drainage channels and to prevent any fire outbreak, residents were advised not to cook or put on any form of fire for the next few hours.

They were also told to avoid smoking in order not to reignite a fire as fuel had leaked onto the streets.

A number of personnel of safety and rescue agencies of government drafted to the scene were from LASEMA, LRU, Lagos State Fire Service, NSCDC, NNPC and LASTMA.

Fire trucks are also stationed in strategic areas in case of fire.

The NNPC maintenance team was said to be working to stop the flow of fuel and handle the repairs.

Oke-Osanyintolu said the “PMS flow from the pipeline has been successfully stopped, while repairs of the vandalised pipeline have commenced.”

Confirming the incident in an earlier statement, he said they observed that “a very large volume of the PMS was gushing out of the NNPC pipeline.

“Further investigation revealed that the heavy flow of PMS was caused by suspected pipeline vandalism and bunkering in the early hours of August 27.”

He also said, “Presently, there is no loss of life and property, serious sensitization, public education and awareness are ongoing in the entire community.

“This is to avoid any form of open flame and burning to avoid any form of explosion or any other secondary incident.”

The agency appealed to traders at the Ikotun market “not open the market for operations today, restrict movements around Ikotun, Igando and other sensitive areas where the spilt content of vandalised pipeline.”

Oke-Osanyintolu said the content had spread far to other areas through drainages.

metro

Troops clear IPOB/ESN camps in Anambra, Enugu, recover weapons

Published

on

Army spokesman, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu

The Nigerian Army said yesterday that troops of 302 Regiment and security agencies have dislodged camps belonging to Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Eastern Security Network (ESN) in Anambra and Enugu states.

Army spokesman, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, in a statement,  said the raids were carried out in conjunction with operatives of the Nigerian Navy, Department of State Services and Nigeria Police Force.

Nwachukwu said the IPOB/ESN criminals were dislodged on Saturday at Idara Nnebo, Ihe Mbosi villages and Ukpor in Nnewi South Local Government Area of Anambra.

He said  the troops cleared IPOB fire positions and Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) to dislodge the criminals from their hideouts.

READ ALSO:

According to him, troops recovered two AK-47 rifles, three magazines with five rounds of 7.62 mm (Special) ammunition, two pump action rifles and one locally fabricated gun during the operations.

“Other items include three power generators, among others,” he said.

Nwachukwu also said the troops of 103 Battalion conducted a raid operation on IPOB/ ESN camp at Nkwere Inyi Forest in Oji River Local Government of Enugu state.

He said the encounter forced the criminals to flee in disarray, while troops recovered one Lexus and a Toyota Highlander SUV suspected to have been snatched by the criminals.

“Other items recovered include two motorcycles, one double barrel gun and seven live cartridges.

“Members of the public are enjoined to continue to support troops with credible information on the activities of the criminal elements in the region,” he added.

THE NATION

Continue Reading

metro

Self-defence: Ban on firearms still in force, CP warns Matawalle

Published

on

Zamfara State Commissioner of Police, Ayuba Elkana

The Zamfara State Commissioner of Police, Ayuba Elkana, has said the embargo on firearms licence is still in force, noting that the police have stopped issuing licence to citizens who wished to own guns.

The police boss stated this, on Sunday, in response to inquiries from The PUNCH about the directive by the state government that the police command should issue gun licence to those eligible to bear arms.

The Zamfara State Commissioner for Information, Ibrahim Dosara, had in a statement on Sunday, disclosed that the government had directed residents of the state to prepare and obtain guns to defend themselves against bandits who have been terrorising the state.

The government, therefore, directed the state Commissioner of Police to issue licence to all those who qualify and are willing to obtain guns to defend themselves.

Dosara had said, “Government has, henceforth, directed individuals to prepare and obtain guns to defend themselves against the bandits, as the government has directed the state commissioner of police to issue a license to all those who qualify and are wishing to obtain such guns to defend themselves.

“Government is ready to facilitate people, especially our farmers, to secure basic weapons for defending themselves. The government has already concluded an arrangement to distribute 500 forms to each of the 19 emirates in the state for those willing to obtain guns to defend themselves.

READ ALSO:

“People must apply to the Commissioner of Police to own guns and such other basic weapons to be used in defending themselves. A secretariat or centre will be established for the collection of intelligence on the activities of informants.”

But reacting to the directive, the state commissioner of police said he has yet to receive any directive to issue gun licences to the people.

Elkana, in a telephone interview with The PUNCH said, “I have not received any directives and also, there is a ban on firearms licence and we don’t give licence.

“I am yet to receive any directive. Let me see the directive first before I can comment. I have not seen the directive, so I cannot comment on compliance.”

Asked if the government’s decision was a vote of no confidence on the police, the CP replied, “There is nothing like vote of no confidence, please. This is farming season and you cannot get police or any security to be following everybody to the farm. They are attacking people on the farm; that is the problem. It is not as if we are not doing our best; we are doing our best. Of recent, we rescued many people (from bandits).”

The Force Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, declined comment on the matter when contacted.

 Ogun State differs

The Ogun State Government also says it is not planning to allow residents of the state to carry arms and defend themselves in the face of insecurity in the state.

Special Adviser to the Governor on Security, Olusola Subar, said this while speaking with one of our correspondents in Abeokuta on Sunday.

“There is no plan in Ogun State here that I know of to direct the police or citizens to be giving licence to bear arms,” he said.

 Ekiti State

 The Special Adviser to Ekiti State Governor on Security, Brig. Gen. Ebenezar Ogundana (retd.), has said the situation of the state could not get to the extent of where everybody would be required to bear arms.

READ ALSO:

Ogundana, in an interview with The PUNCH, said, “We cannot get to that level, because when you say everybody should go and get arms to defend themselves, you are creating panic that the government is not in control and you are creating panic that the environment is not safe.”

 Abia State

Answering questions from The PUNCH in Umuahia on if the state will follow Zamfara State’s plans to liberalise gun purchase, the Abia State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Eze Chikamnayo said, “What successfully applies in one location may not necessarily be the solution in another location, but what is paramount in our mind as a government, is to ensure the security and welfare of our citizens.”

Experts foresee anarchy

Security experts have, however, warned against the implementation of the directive, describing it as an invitation to anarchy.

One of them, Timothy Avele, said the Zamfara state government should anticipate a high number of extrajudicial killings as a result of the directive.

“It’s a direct call for anarchy at the highest level. You can’t imagine the kind of extrajudicial killings that would result from this current governor’s statement.

“It simply shows the Federal Government, state governments, security agencies and the military have failed woefully,” he said.

Another security expert, Jackson Ojo, said the Zamfara State government directive was against the law of the land.

“What the Zamfara State Governor has just declared is like a mutiny. Under which law does the government of Zamfara State permit its indigenes to bear arms?” Ojo wondered.

Continue Reading

metro

Terrorists ban political activities in Kaduna communities

Published

on

A Report released by the Birnin-Gwari Emirate Progressives’ Union (BEPU) yesterday said that Ansaru terrorist group has banned political activities in many commuties in the eastern part of Birnin-Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The terrorist group has continued to indoctrinate and recruit locals especially youths into their fold in their bid to eestablishing Islamic state in Nigeria.

Kaduna State Government had during the presentation of the first quarter 2022/ security report confirmed the presence of the Ansaru group in Birnin Gwari’s Kanuku forest.

Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs Samuel Aruwan also raised the alarm that the terrorists were luring local youths into the group with material things.

Governor Nasir El-Rufai said there were reports the terrorists were claiming to prefer the Kaduna forest to Sambisa.

Birnin-Gwari Local Government has 11 political wards but the western part consists of eight wards.

READ ALSO:

The BEPU report signed by the Union’s Chairman, Ishaq Usman Kasai, pointed out that the group has continued to gain strength in the area.

According to Kasai, “The  group continues to gain acceptance from many members of the commuties particularly in Old Kuyello and Damari of Kazage Ward.

“Even this week, two members of the group were engaged for wedding with two girls and will be tying the nuptial knots by the coming Saturday.

“The Ansaru (grooms) laid down some rules to the in-laws for the wedding. They ruled that after the wedding, they will take the brides to the forests and live there with them and do not want the brides to go along with any furniture except plates and matresses because anything other than that is not in tandem with their beliefs and and convictions.”

BEPU noted with dismay that the locals who have joined the group are afraid to live in the town because of the fear they could be arrested by the police or other security agencies.

The Union also said that the battle cry among the new recruits is the  establishment of an Islamic state.

BEPU stated further: “The Ansaru and the new recruits are of the belief that their numerical strength will help them to bring the present democratic government down.

“Presently, the Ansaru are going round distributing memory cards to the locals which contains their beliefs and doctrine.

“A disturbing scenario is where the group banned all political activities in many communities such as Damari of Kazage Ward. Politicians from these communities have to go far away secretly to the neighbouring communities before they hold political meetings.

“For instance, this week an okada rider who lives in Unguwar Makera of Kazage Ward was seen with a sticker of one of the candidates vying for the Kaduna State House of Assembly and he was thoroughly beaten by the Ansaru.

“People in these communities are now disenchanted and frustrated about participating in political activities.

“We don’t know how the coming rlections will take place in those areas because even the last local government rlection did not hold in the area due to the escalating insecurity which made the election results to be declared inconclusive and a sole administrator appointed to run the affairs the local government .”

THE NATION

Continue Reading

Trending