FG plans mass prisoners’ release, writes governors - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

FG plans mass prisoners’ release, writes governors

Published

on

Rauf Aregbesola, Minister of Interior

Rauf Aregbesola, Minister of Interior, has written to the Nigerian Governors Forum to request a meeting in order to decongest jails around the country.

This was made known to our correspondent by the Minister’s Media Adviser, Sola Fasure, on Tuesday.

In exactly one month, Aregbesola stated he would meet with state governors to agree on the mass release of at least 30 per cent of convicts from correctional facilities across the country.

The minister said that the interface was necessary as more than 90 per cent of the inmates were being held for contravening various state laws, noting that over 70 per cent of the 75,635 inmates at present were awaiting trial.

He said that the federal offenders in the system were far fewer than 10 per cent, adding that the bulk of people in custody were those who had run afoul of state laws.

Aregbesola said that they were therefore being kept under the legal jurisdiction of their respective states.

The minister added that the decongestion of the 253 custodial centres nationwide was necessary as some of the inmates have no reason to remain in custody.

READ ALSO:

However, speaking on the action taken by the minister, Fasure said, “The minister has written to the Governors Forum, but he has not met with them because they will have to communicate with him and give him a date.

“He wrote to them with the request that he wants to meet with them, but he is yet to get a response. In other words, the meeting has not been held.”

Meanwhile, the Federal Government on Tuesday revealed that over 12,000 inmates were released from various correctional centres across the country within the last six years in line with the policy of prison decongestion.

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister  of Justice , Abubakar Malami, stated this to members of the Senate Committee on Judiciary , Human Rights and Legal Matters during 2023 budget defence session with the committee .

Malami, who made the declaration in response to question from Senator Ajibola Basiru ( APC Osun Central ) , said the Federal Government was able to decongest prisons across the country through policy actions aside from the Administration of Criminal Justice Act , meant for expeditious dispensation of Justice.

 “When this government came on board in 2015, the problem of prison congestion was at the front burner of national discourse , which made President Muhammadu Buhari to set machineries in motion in different ways for required solution.

“One of such machineries set in motion was a presidential committee set up for prison decongestion which liaised with other stakeholders in the justice sector for way out  .

“Aside from the committee, Mr  President himself also wrote letters to the 36 states governors and Chief Judges of the states  for required visitations to prisons and exercise of prerogative of mercies from time to time .

‘In one of such visitations made by the Governor of Kano State , Abdullahi Ganduje  , about 500 inmates were granted pardon in one day, totality of which had led to release of over 12, 000 inmates across the country within the last six years .

“Special attention was given to awaiting trial persons  who constitute the bulk of the inmates across the various correctional centres in the country by taking Magistrates and Judges to the centres for on the spot dispensation of Justice .

Earlier in his remarks , the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele ( APC Ekiti Central), said the 2023 budget estimates for the Federal Ministry of Justice and its agencies as contained in the Appropriation Bill submitted by President Muhammadu Buhari , is N71.291 billion.

Punch

metro

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

Published

on

Dibu Ojerinde, former Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB)

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday adjourned the trial of former JAMB Registrar Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, his children, and several corporate entities on charges of official corruption and abuse of office until April 30, 2026.

The matter was before Justice Mohammed Umar, but proceedings could not take place due to the judge’s absence on another official assignment. Consequently, the case was rescheduled for later in April.

Prof. Ojerinde, who previously served as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), is being prosecuted alongside four of his children — Mary Ojerinde, Olumide Ojerinde, Adebayo Ojerinde, and Oluwaseun Ojerinde — as well as six companies linked to him.

READ ALSO:

The companies named as co‑defendants in the case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/119/2023, are: Doyin Ogbohi Petroleum Limited, Cheng Marbles Limited, Sapati International Schools Limited, Trillium Learning Centre Limited, Standout Institutes Limited, and Esli Perfect Security Printers Limited.

The charges were filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and relate to alleged corruption and abuse of office during Prof. Ojerinde’s tenure as JAMB Registrar.

In addition to the current corruption trial, Ojerinde is facing a separate 18‑count charge alleging the diversion of funds during his time as Registrar of the National Examinations Council (NECO) and later at JAMB. That matter is before a sister Federal High Court, presided over by Justice Obiora Egwuatu, and is scheduled to resume on March 25, 2026.

Legal experts say the multiplicity of charges reflects increased enforcement efforts by anti‑corruption agencies against high‑profile public officials accused of financial misconduct. Ojerinde’s legal team had sought additional time to prepare their defence, a request accommodated by the court’s adjournment.

The adjournment comes amid heightened public interest in accountability within Nigeria’s public institutions, particularly concerning the management of examination bodies and the oversight of funds in federally funded agencies.

Observers note that the outcome of the Ojerinde trials could set an important precedent for prosecuting alleged financial crimes by senior public servants, especially where family members and associated businesses are implicated.

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

Continue Reading

metro

Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau

Published

on

Nigerian military troops
Nigerian military troops

Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman

Troops of Operation Enduring Peace (OPEP) have successfully neutralised five suspected kidnappers and rescued a woman who had been abducted in Plateau State, security officials confirmed on Wednesday. The operation, described as intelligence‑driven, took place at a criminal hideout in Angwan Boka, Sopp District, within the Riyom Local Government Area.

According to Captain Chinonso Polycarp Oteh, spokesman for the Joint Military Task Force, the raid was prompted by actionable intelligence provided by two individuals apprehended on February 16, who were later identified as members of a local kidnapping syndicate. Troops swiftly mobilised to the hideout, where they engaged the kidnappers in a firefight, resulting in the death of five suspects and the safe rescue of the victim, identified as Hauwa Suleiman. She was found unharmed and has since been reunited with her family.

READ ALSO:

During the operation, security forces also recovered evidence linking the suspects to criminal activities, including three mobile phones, ₦17,600 in cash, and substances suspected to be illegal drugs. Captain Oteh emphasised the importance of community cooperation in fighting crime, urging residents to provide credible information that would help security agencies locate and dismantle criminal networks. “Even though we will do our best, with credible and actionable information, we can know where criminal elements are and deal with them so that there will be peace,” he said.

Community members, including John Mairiga of Riyom, attested to the success of the raid and praised the troops for their swift intervention. Authorities described the operation as part of ongoing efforts to combat kidnapping, banditry, and violent crime across Plateau State and the broader Middle Belt region. The Nigerian Army reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that citizens can return to their farms and businesses without fear of attacks.

The operation underscores the growing effectiveness of intelligence‑led military operations in tackling organised crime in Nigeria and highlights the critical role of community engagement in supporting security agencies. Residents are encouraged to continue providing information to security operatives to sustain the momentum of peace and stability across affected areas.

Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman

Continue Reading

metro

Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy

Published

on

Former Presidential Candidate of the African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore
Former presidential candidate and activist Omoyele Sowore

Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy

Former presidential candidate and activist Omoyele Sowore has condemned President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for signing the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) into law, describing the legislation as a direct threat to Nigeria’s democratic integrity and the credibility of upcoming elections.

Reacting shortly after the signing ceremony at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Wednesday, Sowore said the law was “designed to undermine and ultimately forbid free, fair, and credible elections in Nigeria.” He urged citizens and civil society groups to actively oppose its provisions, warning that the legislation could erode hard-won democratic norms. “We must resist this assault on democracy,” he said. “They have dared the people. Now we must confront them, we must damn their impunity.”

President Tinubu signed the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) around 5:00 p.m., in a ceremony attended by principal officers of the National Assembly. The law is intended to govern the conduct of elections ahead of the 2027 general elections, with presidential and National Assembly polls scheduled for February 20, and governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections set for March 6.

READ ALSO:

Sowore’s criticism reflects concerns from opposition politicians, civil society organisations, and legal analysts, who argue that some provisions of the amended law could weaken transparency and fairness in Nigeria’s elections. He pointed to clauses that may restrict political participation for smaller parties and independent candidates, limit judicial oversight in election disputes, and expand discretionary powers for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in ways that could centralise control and reduce accountability.

The activist’s remarks have reignited public debate, with supporters of the law arguing that the amendments are intended to streamline electoral processes, reduce frivolous litigation, and improve efficiency in Nigeria’s often protracted election system. Critics, however, warn that the law could be exploited to favour incumbents and entrenched political interests, potentially undermining the competitiveness of the 2027 elections. Civil society organisations have called for robust public education and, where necessary, judicial review to safeguard constitutional principles.

The Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) arrives at a critical juncture for Nigeria’s democracy. With general elections just months away, political tensions, party realignments, and security concerns are intensifying nationwide. Observers note that the legal framework governing elections will play a pivotal role in shaping public confidence in the process. Sowore’s call for resistance adds to growing voices urging Nigerians to remain vigilant and assertive in defending transparency and accountability in governance.

Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending