metro
FG shuts Eko Bridge for 40-day repair again
FG shuts Eko Bridge for 40-day repair again
The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos State, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, has announced a 40-day closure of the Island-bound lane of the Alaka-Costain-Iganmu section of Eko Bridge, beginning from Sunday July 23.
Kesha, in a statement on Thursday in Lagos, said the announcement was made in collaboration with Lagos State Government.
The closure, he said, was as a result of damage noticed on some of the bridge components needing urgent rehabilitation.
“It should be noted that any further delay in the repairs and replacement of some of these bridge members could undermine the integrity and structural stability of the entire bridge,” she said.
She recalled that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, during the opening of the Apongbon section of the bridge, had announced that intermittent closures would be carried out as the maintenance work progressed.
“This closure is to allow the contractor, Messrs Buildwell Plants and Equipment Industries Ltd to carry out the necessary repairs with the aim of restoring the integrity of the bridge during the stipulated time frame.
“While the service lane leading to Iponri will be available, some alternative routes are also provided for motorists plying the route from Western Avenue and its environ,” she stated.
metro
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.
Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.
READ ALSO:
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.
Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.
The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.
Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus
metro
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.
According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Korope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
- Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.
Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.
The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.
Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
metro
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.
Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.
READ ALSO:
- Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers
- Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan
- E‑Transmission Alone Cannot Guarantee Free, Fair Elections – Shehu Sani
The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.
Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.
The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.
The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.
Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan
-
News1 day agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro1 day agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
metro3 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News1 day agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
Entertainment3 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro3 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto3 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
metro1 day agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate


