Eko Bridge
FG Suspends Planned Closure of Eko Bridge After Fresh Safety Review
The Federal Government has suspended its planned closure of the Eko Bridge in Lagos State after a fresh structural assessment ordered by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, announced the decision on Tuesday during an inspection tour of the bridge, saying the earlier shutdown plan was reviewed to avoid worsening traffic hardship for Lagos residents and commuters.
According to Umahi, the government had earlier resolved to shut down one carriageway of the bridge following the discovery of major structural defects beneath the bridge. (Voice of Nigeria)
“We directed that this bridge be closed. That was about two weeks back, but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge,” Umahi said.
“He has asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians.”
The minister explained that engineers conducted another technical evaluation on Monday and concluded that the bridge remains safe for use for now, although continuous monitoring would be carried out.
READ ALSO:
“We have done our technical evaluation in line with the President’s directive. Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe, but we won’t get to a situation where any Nigerian on this bridge will not be safe,” he stated.
Umahi disclosed that the government had adopted three measures to manage the situation, beginning with suspending the immediate closure of the bridge while monitoring the crack observed on a section of the structure.
According to him, experts discovered that the crack was not currently expanding either “arithmetically or geometrically.”
“No progression so far. We are comfortable, but a crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it,” he added.
The minister further revealed that remedial works would still commence on the bridge within the next four months to strengthen the damaged portion and prevent further deterioration.
He said the contractor, Buildwell, would carry out additional piling and pile cap reinforcement to bypass the cracked section before a more comprehensive reconstruction process begins.
“We have agreed on remedial work that could be carried out within four months by Buildwell, and that is by doing additional piling and a pile cap and joining it to the cracked one to bypass the section that is cracked.
“That can lead us to open the entire bridge and when that is done, we will wait for the entire design whereby the entire slab within that section will be lifted and then we will demolish what was cracked,” Umahi explained.
Earlier this month, the Federal Government had announced plans to partially shut the bridge after underwater investigations revealed that several supporting piles beneath the structure had failed, raising safety concerns. (Voice of Nigeria)
The planned closure was initially fixed for May 11 before it was later shifted to May 19 following consultations between the Federal Road Safety Corps and the Federal Ministry of Works. (Peoples Gazette Nigeria)
The proposed shutdown had triggered concerns among motorists and residents over fears of severe gridlock across Lagos Island and Mainland routes, particularly around Apongbon, Ijora and the Third Mainland Bridge corridor. (coolfm.ng)
Umahi, however, assured Nigerians that the government would not compromise public safety while efforts continue to maintain critical infrastructure across the country.
He also praised President Tinubu for prioritising infrastructure development and public welfare.
“I can assure you that the President means well, and we owe him prayers and support, and God will take us there,” the minister said.
LAMATA Bans Transportation Of Goods On Public Buses Across Lagos The Lagos State Government has…
Elliot Denies Violence Plot as Group Alleges Surulere APC Primary Disruption A political pressure group,…
UUTH Raid: EFCC to Discipline Officers as Olukoyede Orders Apology, Full Investigation The Chairman of…
175 ISIS Terrorists, Top Commanders Killed in 7 Days - DHQ Confirms The Defence Headquarters…
“Tinubu Doesn’t Trust Me Because I’m Igbo” – Cubana Chief Priest Opens Up Celebrity businessman…
Oyo Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Panic Spreads Across Ogbomoso IBADAN — The Inspector-General…