Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja
No Terrorist Base in South-West Forests, School Attack Isolated — DHQ
The Defence Headquarters, DHQ, has dismissed fears of an organised terrorist presence in forests across Nigeria’s South-West, describing recent attacks on schools in Oyo State as isolated criminal incidents rather than evidence of an established terror network.
Director of Defence Media Operations, Major-General Michael Onoja, made the clarification on Tuesday while reacting to the attacks on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and LA Primary School in Ogbomoso, all located in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
The attacks reportedly left two persons dead, while at least 45 pupils, a school principal and several teachers were abducted by gunmen. One of the kidnapped teachers was later killed while in captivity, further heightening concerns over insecurity in the region.
Onoja said the military had previously conducted extensive clearance operations within the Old Oyo National Park and surrounding forest areas, significantly weakening criminal gangs operating within the axis.
According to him, available intelligence reports do not support claims that terrorist groups have established permanent operational bases in forests or hinterlands across the South-West.
“The recent incidents in Oyo State are isolated criminal acts and should not be interpreted as evidence of an entrenched terrorist structure in the South-West region,” he said.
He added that troops and other security agencies had sustained surveillance, patrol and intelligence-driven operations across vulnerable communities and forest corridors to prevent criminal elements from regrouping.
The DHQ spokesperson assured residents that the Armed Forces remained committed to protecting lives and property while working with state governments and local security networks to combat kidnappings and banditry.
Security concerns in parts of the South-West have intensified in recent months following increasing cases of abduction along highways, attacks on farming communities and criminal activities linked to armed gangs operating in forest reserves.
The latest school attacks sparked fresh fears among residents and community leaders, with some groups warning against the possible infiltration of terrorist elements into the region.
Meanwhile, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland and National Coordinator of the Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC, Iba Gani Adams, has declared that Yoruba groups are prepared to mobilise millions of local warriors to support the fight against insecurity if officially invited by government authorities.
Adams said the Yoruba people would not fold their arms in the face of worsening insecurity, insisting that the region possesses the manpower, local intelligence and historical experience needed to confront criminal elements.
“We are ready to deploy seven million warriors if necessary, but there must be proper collaboration and official authorisation,” he said.
The OPC leader described the current security challenges as a form of guerrilla warfare, noting that criminal gangs now attack communities, markets and highways unpredictably rather than operating only at night.
According to him, about 14 affiliated Yoruba self-determination and community-based groups under his network have structures spread across the South-West and are willing to assist security agencies.
Adams disclosed that the OPC and related groups had repeatedly sought formal collaboration with South-West governors and federal authorities but had yet to receive official approval.
He recalled that previous partnerships between OPC operatives and security agencies helped reduce cult violence, armed robbery and kidnappings in parts of Lagos and neighbouring states before cooperation weakened due to disagreements with some security institutions.
The Yoruba leader stressed that any return to active field operations by OPC members would require clear coordination mechanisms to avoid clashes with conventional security agencies.
Security analysts say the growing calls for community-based security collaboration reflect increasing pressure on federal security forces amid rising cases of kidnappings and violent crimes nationwide.
LAMATA Bans Transportation Of Goods On Public Buses Across Lagos The Lagos State Government has…
Elliot Denies Violence Plot as Group Alleges Surulere APC Primary Disruption A political pressure group,…
UUTH Raid: EFCC to Discipline Officers as Olukoyede Orders Apology, Full Investigation The Chairman of…
175 ISIS Terrorists, Top Commanders Killed in 7 Days - DHQ Confirms The Defence Headquarters…
“Tinubu Doesn’t Trust Me Because I’m Igbo” – Cubana Chief Priest Opens Up Celebrity businessman…
Oyo Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Panic Spreads Across Ogbomoso IBADAN — The Inspector-General…