FIRS reforms pay off, collected N10.1tn tax revenue in 2022 - Newstrends
Connect with us

Business

FIRS reforms pay off, collected N10.1tn tax revenue in 2022

Published

on

The Federal Inland Revenue Service says it collected N10.1 trillion as tax revenues in 2022.
It disclosed this in its ‘FIRS 2022 Performance Update’ report signed by its Executive Chairman, Mr Muhammad Nami, which was released in Abuja on Monday.
It said, “The FIRS in the year 2022 collected a total of N10.1 trillion in both oil (N4.09 trillion) and non-oil (N5.96 trillion) revenues as against a target of N10.44 trillion.
“Companies Income Tax contributed N2.83 trillion; Value Added Tax N2.51 trillion; Electronic Money Transfer Levy N125.67 billion and Earmarked Taxes N353.69 billion.
“Non-oil taxes contributed 59% of the total collection in the year, while oil tax collection stood at 41% of total collection.”
The report indicated that it was the first time that the FIRS would cross the 10-trillion naira mark in tax revenue collection.
It added that the N10.1 trillion was inclusive of the N146.27 billion which is the total value of certificates issued by the FIRS to private investors and the NNPC for road infrastructure under the Road Infrastructure Development Refurbishment Investment Tax Credit Scheme created by Executive Order No. 007 of 2019.
The total sum also included tax waivers on account of various tax incentives granted under the respective laws, which amounted to N1.81 trillion.
The FIRS said that the feat was made possible by the Nami-led management’s, administrative and operational restructuring; making the service customer-focused; creating a data-centric institution; and automation of administrative and operational processes.
He said, “The reforms introduced at different times from 2020 are gradually yielding fruits. By the close of 2022, the Service had fully restructured the administration of the service for maximum efficiency and achieved internal cohesion such that all functional units are working in unison towards the achievement of set goals.
“As a result of conducive environment created for staff, officers of the service are pulling their weight on the global stage with international recognitions and awards;
“The service had also automated most of the administrative and operational processes. A major leap was the full deployment of the TaxPro Max for end-to-end administration of taxes in June 2021. The module for the automated TCC went live 1st January 2023 while taxpayers had already downloaded over 1,000 TCCs this year without having to visit FIRS office.”
The organisation said that it had operationalised its data mining and analysis system thereby allowing for data-backed taxpayer profiling.
Commenting on the 2022 performance, Nami said that success was achieved through the “dogged implementation of strategic reforms over the past two years; a renewed commitment by officers of the Service, accompanied with a boosted morale; as well as the innovative deployment of technology for automation of both tax administration and operational processes.
“This collection was possible through collaboration with our stakeholders, from our colleagues at the executive branch of government, to the members of the judiciary, to our brothers and sisters at the National Assembly, as well as the tax advisory committee, professional bodies, unions, and most crucially our taxpayers.”
Speaking on the outlook for 2023, Nami stated that the FIRS would build on the current reforms, achieve full automation and continue to establish a resilient service that would continue to provide sustainable tax revenue to fund the government.
“We intend to maintain, and even improve on the momentum in 2023,” he stated.
He also said, “We have peaked, but this is not certainly our peak. In fact, my hope is that this would be the least sum the service would ever collect going forward.
“Our goal is to identify more areas where we can improve on in the delivery and efficiency of our collection; and plug loopholes, while deploying innovative reforms in data and artificial intelligence.
“Ultimately, we believe that the FIRS can shoulder the responsibility of providing revenue needed for the governments across the Federation to cater for the needs of the Nigerian people through taxes.
“This is feasible once we get the much-desired support from the three tiers and arms of government, as well as all stakeholders.”

 

Loading

Business

Just When You Thought Fuel Prices Were Falling – Dangote Refinery Pulls the Trigger Again

Published

on

Just When You Thought Fuel Prices Were Falling – Dangote Refinery Pulls the Trigger Again

Just When You Thought Fuel Prices Were Falling – Dangote Refinery Pulls the Trigger Again

Lagos, Nigeria – Barely two weeks after slashing its petrol price to N1,165 per litre, the Dangote Petroleum Refinery has increased its Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) gantry price by N20 to N1,185 per litre, effective midnight on Friday, August 21, 2026. The adjustment comes amid a sustained rally in global crude oil prices, with Brent futures climbing above $93 per barrel as tensions between the United States and Iran continue to unsettle energy markets.

The price review, reported by Petroleumprice.ng, comes as competition among fuel suppliers continues to reshape the Lagos depot market. At N1,185 per litre, Dangote’s petrol remains N15 cheaper than the N1,200 being quoted at Integrated Oil and Gas, African Terminals and NIPCO, while Pinnacle Oil and Gas sells at N1,190. More significantly, the new price remains below the current import-related benchmark of approximately N1,218 per litre as reported by the Major Energy Marketers Association of Nigeria (MEMAN), meaning Dangote’s revised gantry price is still N33 below the cost of importing the product.

The refinery’s decision comes against a backdrop of persistent global crude supply fears. Brent crude extended its rally for a fifth consecutive day on Thursday, reaching a three-week high as diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran remained stalled. The international benchmark rose 1.95 per cent to $93.48 per barrel, while West Texas Intermediate (WTI) gained two per cent to $86.12 per barrel. The sustained rally has pushed crude prices to their strongest levels since July, with Brent climbing more than seven per cent over five sessions.

US President Donald Trump’s recent threat of “the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country” has heightened fears of stricter sanctions enforcement against Iran. ING commodities strategists Warren Patterson and Ewa Manthey noted that the warning signals “further escalation in US efforts to isolate Iran.” The UAE has also suspended all financial and economic transactions with Iran, adding another layer of uncertainty for energy markets already dealing with disruptions across the Gulf region.

READ ALSO:

Despite the rise in crude futures, analysts observe that the real stress in the oil market is downstream. Ole Hansen, Head of Commodity Strategy at Saxo Bank, noted that “crude is available, diesel is not,” emphasising that the market continues to underestimate the extent of supply disruptions affecting refined fuel markets. The diesel crack spread in the United States crossed the $100-per-barrel mark this week for the first time, reaching as high as $102 per barrel on Monday before easing to about $100.

The refinery’s latest price increase also coincides with a rise in the price of diesel. Dangote raised its Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) gantry price by N100 to N1,670 per litre, effective from midnight Friday. This places the refinery’s diesel price N21 above the current landing cost of N1,649, though still N30 below rates quoted by several Lagos depots, including African Terminal, Integrated, Duport, Ibachem, Gulf Treasure and Pivot. The diesel price hike is expected to impact transport, manufacturing, and power generation costs across the economy.

For Nigerian consumers, the key question remains whether movements in depot prices will translate into corresponding changes at the pump. Following Dangote’s August 6 price reduction to N1,165, checks in Lagos showed several filling stations continuing to sell petrol at between N1,240 and N1,260 per litre, raising fresh questions about how quickly changes in refinery and depot prices are transmitted to consumers. A lower gantry price does not automatically determine the final retail price, which also reflects transportation, logistics, dealer margins and other operating costs.

The refinery’s entry into the domestic fuels market has fundamentally altered the competitive dynamics of Nigeria’s downstream petroleum industry. Rather than simply competing with imported products, the facility—with its 650,000 barrels-per-day capacity—is increasingly competing directly with independent depots and other suppliers for the same pool of marketers. Officials of the Dangote Group had yet to comment on the reported price increases as of press time.

As global crude prices remain elevated amid geopolitical uncertainty and the refinery assumes an increasingly dominant position in Nigeria’s fuel supply chain, its pricing moves are being closely watched as a barometer for the downstream petroleum market. The potential for further price volatility persists as analysts warn that Brent could approach $95 and potentially $100 per barrel if disruptions to shipping through the Strait of Hormuz continue.

Just When You Thought Fuel Prices Were Falling – Dangote Refinery Pulls the Trigger Again

Loading

Continue Reading

Auto

Dangote deploys technology to curb truck crashes, improve road safety

Published

on

Dangote deploys technology to curb truck crashes, improve road safety

Dangote Cement has stepped up the deployment of advanced safety technology and monitoring devices including cameras across its truck fleet as part of efforts to improve driver behaviour and reduce road crashes involving its vehicles.

The company said the technology, which enables real-time monitoring of its trucks and drivers, was being complemented with intensive driver training, strict safety protocols and incentives for accident-free driving.

The Head of Operations, Dangote Cement Ibese, Ogun State, David Idiege, disclosed this on Thursday at a press briefing on the company’s road safety measures, explaining that the initiative was designed to give the company greater control over what happens on the road.

With more than 4,000 trucks operating from the Ibese plant, Idiege said the company had invested in the cameras and other state-of-the-art devices capable of monitoring its trucks in real time and helping to detect unsafe driving practices.

“That is why we have cameras in our trucks and state-of-the-art technologies that make us see in real time what is happening in any of our trucks at every material time,” he said.

According to him, the technology is particularly important in addressing practices such as speeding and proxy driving, where authorised drivers hand over trucks to unauthorised persons.

“Proxy driving, cases where our drivers give the truck to some other person to drive for them, and the company has stringent sanctions applied to any driver caught in proxy driving,” he said.

Idiege added that environmental factors, including bad weather, also contributed to some road incidents, making real-time monitoring and driver vigilance critical to the company’s safety strategy.

READ ALSO:

Beyond technology, he said Dangote Cement was strengthening driver competence by using some of its best-performing drivers as safety ambassadors to train their colleagues.

“We also have a very good rewards system for those who drive diligently without getting involved in accidents. Aside from the rewards and certificates, we also bring those best drivers up to train their colleagues,” he said.

The company’s Head of Human Resources, Muhammed Al-Hassan, said driver development remained a key component of its road safety programme, stressing that only properly trained drivers were permitted to operate its trucks.

He said the company also encouraged safe driving through monthly and annual recognition of drivers who maintained accident-free records.

“For instance, a driver who has been driving without getting involved in accidents is rewarded monthly,” Al-Hassan said.

He added that at the company’s annual safety day, the driver with an outstanding accident-free record would be recognised as the “Safety Person of the Year” and rewarded in line with the organisation’s policies.

While the company maintains disciplinary measures for breaches of safety protocols, Al-Hassan said the broader objective was to ensure that drivers understood and complied with the organisation’s safety standards.

He disclosed that more than 250 drivers had faced sanctions for various safety violations between 2025 and 2026, but stressed that the company’s approach combined enforcement with training, monitoring and incentives.

Idiege also clarified that not every truck bearing the Dangote brand was currently under the company’s direct operational control.

He explained that some trucks previously owned by Dangote had been leased to customers and were now operated by those customers. According to him, trucks no longer managed by the company had been de-branded.

Later, at the Ibese Plant Control Room, the company’s Head of Control, Mr Ifeanyi Eziri, took journalists through the monitoring and tracking processes used to keep tabs on drivers and trucks operating on roads across the country, including the procedures for remotely demobilising vehicles where safety violations are detected.

The company said the combination of smart monitoring devices, driver training, safety ambassadors, real-time surveillance and rewards for responsible driving was aimed at creating a stronger safety culture and reducing truck-related accidents on Nigerian roads.

Loading

Continue Reading

Business

Fuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele

Published

on

Fuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele

The Federal Government generated about N20.4tn in additional resources from fuel subsidy removal and other fiscal reforms over the last three years, but spent N30.64tn on wages, debt servicing, infrastructure and electricity subsidies, the Minister of Finance, Taiwo Oyedele, has disclosed.

Oyedele gave the figures on Wednesday at a press conference, where he explained how the government had deployed the resources generated from the reforms introduced by President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

According to him, the removal of fuel subsidy resulted in N15.8tn in savings that accrued to the Federation Account and were shared among the three tiers of government.

He said the Federal Government received N5.43tn, states got N6.52tn, while local governments received N3.88tn from the subsidy savings.

The minister explained that the reforms also generated N3.12tn in incremental revenues, while the Federal Government raised an additional N11.85tn through borrowing.

READ ALSO:

These, he said, brought the Federal Government’s total incremental resources during the period to approximately N20.4tn.

Oyedele, however, stressed that the subsidy removal did not translate into N20.4tn of cash available solely to the Federal Government, noting that a significant portion of the resources was shared among the different tiers of government.

“The Federal Government had approximately N20.4tn in incremental resources.

“Over the same period, additional expenditures amounted to approximately N30.64tn. Subsidy removal therefore did not create one large pool of cash available to the Federal Government. It reduced a major fiscal burden and the amount of additional borrowing that would otherwise have been required,” he said.

Giving a breakdown of the additional expenditure, Oyedele said N9.39tn was spent on wage adjustments, while N9.37tn went into servicing external debt.

He added that N6.47tn was committed to infrastructure, while N3.14tn was spent on electricity subsidies.

The figures offer a clearer picture of the fiscal impact of the Tinubu administration’s decision to remove fuel subsidy, a policy announced in May 2023 shortly after the President assumed office.

The subsidy removal triggered a sharp increase in petrol prices, while the government’s subsequent liberalisation of the foreign exchange market also led to significant fluctuations in the value of the naira.

Oyedele’s explanation suggests that the savings from subsidy removal were used largely to ease fiscal pressures, support increased government spending and reduce the need for even higher borrowing, rather than providing the Federal Government with a single pool of funds for discretionary spending.

 

Fuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending