73 killed in Adamawa, Kano floods, Jonathan home submerged - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

73 killed in Adamawa, Kano floods, Jonathan home submerged

Published

on

No fewer than 73 have been killed in flood incidents that ravaged  Adamawa and Kano states recently

Fifty of the deaths were recorded in Adamawa State while 23 casualties were recorded in Kano State.

The Adamawa flood incidents which affected 11 communities also left  71 people  injured.

The Executive Secretary of Adamawa  State Emergency Management Agency (ADSEMA), Malam Suleiman Mohammed, and his Kano State Emergency Management Agency (KSEMA) counterpart, Dr Saleh Jili, made the disclosure in Yola and Kano respectively, yesterday.

The Executive Secretary of ADSEMA, Malam Suleiman Mohammed blamed the flooding on the release of water from Lagdo Dam in neighbouring Cameroon.

Mohammed said also that the flood destroyed 172,000 farmlands and food crops worth millions of naira.

“Some of the affected local government areas are Numan, Shelleng, Yola South, Yola North, Demsa, Mayo Belwa and Michika,” he said.

He added that the agency had provided clothes, foodstuffs, drugs, mosquito nets, blankets and buckets for victims to assuage their suffering.

“The items were donated by the state government, the Federal Government and by other donors,” he said.

READ ALSO:

Mohammed also said that ADSEMA would collaborate with the National Emergency Management Agency to move affected communities to safer areas.

“We will continue to sensitise the communities about the dangers of living in flood-prone areas,” he said.

Speaking at  an event to mark the 2022 International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction (IDDRR) in Kano on Friday,  the Executive Secretary of the Kano State Emergency Management Agency, Dr Saleh Jili disclosed  that the disaster also displaced 20,399 persons, injured 100 others, destroyed 15,000 farmlands and property worth over N2.1 billion in the affected communities from April to date.

He said the agency also rescued eight people trapped in a collapsed building at GSM Market, Beirut Road in Kano metropolis.

According to him, the state government has adopted proactive mechanisms to mitigate risk and disaster across the state.

Ex-President Jonathan’s home submerged by flood

Otuoke, the hometown of former President Goodluck Jonathan in Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, has been ravaged by severe flood with the home of the ex-President submerged. In continuation of his assessment of the flood situation in the state, Governor Douye Diri visited the community yesterday. Speaking to journalists, Diri lamented the degree of destruction caused by what he described as an “attack by natural disaster” on the livelihood of Bayelsans.

He stressed that Otuoke, which is the host community of a federal university, had been submerged and most of the locals displaced, including the home of the Jonathans. The governor, however, urged the people not to despair, assuring them that the state government had put in place machinery to provide relief materials and medical assistance to victims of the flood. He equally empathized with the former president, who he said is now also internally displaced as a result of the flood. Diri visited the former president’s mother, Madam Eunice Jonathan, in the community and assured her that the state government was with her and the people of Otuoke.

“Now I am in Ogbia, precisely at the residence of the former president of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan. You can see the degree of destruction here in Otuoke. The water current is as if there is a river here. This is what I have been saying. Bayelsa is under the attack of natural disaster. The premises of our former president, and the whole community is under attack. And this is where you also have the federal university. This situation makes the former president an IDP. Let me also use this opportunity to empathize with my leader, the former president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, who has joined me as one of the IDPs because I was one of the first victims in my community.”

The Nation

metro

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Published

on

Nigerian military troop
Nigerian military troop

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.

Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.

Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.

READ ALSO:

Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.

The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.

In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.

Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.

Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Published

on

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

 

The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.

The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.

In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.

“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.

Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.

The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.

Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.

During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.

According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.

Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.

She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.

As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.

Continue Reading

metro

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

Published

on

Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

The Osun State Government has awarded the 55.6-kilometre Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road project to three contractors as part of a strategic effort to accelerate construction, improve inter-state connectivity, and stimulate economic activity along the busy southwestern corridor linking Osun and Oyo states.

According to the Osun State Ministry of Works and Transport, the road has been divided into three segments and awarded to Pecular Ultimate Concerns, Kimzee Global Resources, and A’skorg Integrated Service Limited, with all contractors expected to be mobilised this month. The segmented approach aims to ensure timely delivery, improve supervision, and reduce construction bottlenecks.

READ ALSO:

The announcement comes amid ongoing infrastructure interventions in Iwo town, including the construction of a 3.6-kilometre dual carriageway — the first of its kind in the local government. Engr. Moruf Ojebode, Director of Highways, confirmed that phase one of the dual carriageway, spanning from Odo-Ori Market to Oja-Oba near the post office, is already 50% complete, with drainage, medians, and pedestrian walkways under development. Internal roads connecting key districts, including Ansarudeen to Puti Road, Fesu Agbowo Road, and Army Junction to Jagun Ode Road, have also been completed.

Residents and community leaders have commended Governor Ademola Adeleke’s administration for prioritising infrastructure development, noting the projects’ impact on mobility, safety, and local commerce. Prof. Lai Olurode, Chairman of the Iwo Board of Trustees, described the upgrades as a “visible Adeleke revolution,” emphasizing that connecting township roads to the main highway will enhance usability and economic benefits. Similarly, Chief Mujidat Sarumi, Iyaloja of Iwo land, praised the projects for opening up the local economy and supporting trade.

The Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road is a key trade artery in southwestern Nigeria. Once completed, it is expected to reduce travel time, ease congestion, improve road safety, and strengthen regional trade and investment opportunities. By splitting the highway project among multiple contractors, the government hopes to speed construction timelines while maintaining high standards of quality and supervision.

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending