Ganduje shares cash to 400 PWDs – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Ganduje shares cash to 400 PWDs

Published

on

National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje

Ganduje shares cash to 400 PWDs

Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje, the National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress, have distributed cash assistance to the families of over 400 people with disabilities across the country.

Although the actual sum was not released, Ganduje was alleged to have made the payments through the party’s PWD office in Abuja.

Tolu Bankole, National Leader of APC Persons with Disabilities, stated this in a statement issued in Abuja on Friday.

Bankole further confirmed that hundreds of recipients have been calling his office to express their gratitude for the action.

According to him, Ganduje‘s approval demonstrated his compassion for persons with disabilities beyond the ‘rhetoric’ at a time when the most vulnerable Nigerians require all available assistance.

READ ALSO:

The member of the APC National Working Committee also stated that the current cash palliative was the first phase of the party’s planned interventions for numerous PWD households in 774 local government areas across 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

He said, “I am pleased that over 400 households have benefited from the ongoing cash intervention program under our PWD-friendly National Chairman, Dr. Umar Abdullahi Ganduje. This is just the beginning of PWD inclusion in our party, and more vulnerable Nigerians will benefit from this program.

“The APC has been proactive in providing the much-needed succor to PWDs men, women, their children, elderly, and the most vulnerable members of our society.

“In addition to this cash intervention program, we have taken several initiatives to support our citizens during these challenging times.

“We recognize the impact of current economic inflation, and this timely intervention is to mitigate its effects. Our party at all levels has made concerted efforts to cushion the impact of the inflation experienced in the economy recently.

“We are aware of the decisive steps taken by our President, Bola Tinubu, to free our economy and reposition our country. The good news is that the economy is showing signs of improvement, with the naira appreciating at a remarkable speed.

“The All Progressives Congress, led by our PWD-friendly national chairman, has proven to be the preferred option for inclusive development and remains committed to the welfare and well-being of Nigerians.”

Ganduje shares cash to 400 PWDs

metro

Anambra pupil beaten to coma by teacher dies

Published

on

File photo

Anambra pupil beaten to coma by teacher dies

A pupil of the Landmark International School, Mgbakwu in Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State, Henry Okonkwo, who was reportedly beaten to a coma by a teacher has died.

It was gathered that the boy gave up the ghost in the early hours of Wednesday.

The PUNCH had reported that a 30-year-old teacher at the school, Faith Nwonye, was arrested for allegedly beating the eight-year-old pupil into a coma, on Monday.

Nwoye had earlier been invited by the Commissioner for Education, Prof. Ngozi Chuma-Udeh, to explain what led to the brutalisation of the child on Monday, May 20, 2024.

Chuma-Udeh had expressed sadness over the development, lamenting that the chances of the victim’s survival currently in admission to a hospital are 20 per cent, according to the medical doctor.

READ ALSO:

She said the school was running illegally describing the development as a crime running an illegal school in the state as well as beating a child, the commissioner warned that perpetrators were doing so at their peril.

The teacher was invited alongside the school’s Proprietor in which the incident happened, Mrs Promise Ilo.

The development led to the temporary shutting down of the school while an investigation was said to have begun.

The teacher who admitted flogging the child, however, stated that the flogging was not as severe as the picture was painted.

The matter was handed over to the police for investigation, while the child was in the intensive care unit of the hospital, from where he later gave up the ghost in the early hours of Wednesday.

Taking to her verified Facebook wall on Thursday, the commissioner lamented the death of the boy, saying he was a boy like any other, with hopes and aspirations.

She wrote, “He was a boy like any other, with hopes and aspirations. He went to school for a better future but met a gruesome death at the hands of the people who were supposed to help him achieve his life ambition.

“A quack teacher in an illegal school bludgeoned him to death. We mourn a life nipped in the bud! We mourn Henry Chukwuemeka Okonkwo! We mourn and we seek justice.”

Anambra pupil beaten to coma by teacher dies

Continue Reading

metro

How police intercepted gunrunner, recovered sophisticated arms

Published

on

How police intercepted gunrunner, recovered sophisticated arms

Police operatives from the Anambra State Command Police earlier today at about 11:30am, intercepted a gang member of a notorious gun-running syndicate in Onitsha and recovered seven brand new Jojef magnum pump action guns concealed in a bag.

P.M.EXPRESS reports that this breakthrough is following the practical intelligence and tact-led Policing strategy of the Commissioner of Police, CP Nnaghe Obono Itam, to frustrate criminal plans, especially on the intel received over time about planned attacks by unlawful group/secessionists to enforce illegal sit-at-home on 30th May 2024.

READ ALSO:

According to SP Tochukwu Ikenga, Police Public Relations Officer, the Police operatives laid ambush at the identified location at Creek Road, Onitsha and the convener/ gunrunner on sighting the Police abandoned the bag and took to his heels.

To this end, the CP, Nnaghe Obono Itam, has directed a manhunt on the notorious gun runner and the gang and urged Ndi Anambra to sustain the provision of security information as the Police will continue to act upon it, to be able to frustrate the criminal intentions of the nonstate actors in the State.

How police intercepted gunrunner, recovered sophisticated arms

Continue Reading

metro

Governor Yusuf announces return of Sanusi as Kano Emir

Published

on

Governor Yusuf announces return of Sanusi as Kano Emir

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has announced the appointment of Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi as the new Emir of Kano.

He made the announcement after signing the new emirate council law at Government House, Kano, on Thursday

The governor signed the law at exactly 5:10pm alongside his deputy, the Speaker of the State Assembly and other principal officers in his administration.

Former Governor Abdullahi Ganduje had dethroned Sanusi in 2020, after a personal rift.

Before dethroning Sanusi, he had split Kano emirate into five – Kano, Bichi, Rano, Gaya and Karaye.

But the Kano House of Assembly repealed the law, on Thursday.

The new law states that all offices created under the repealed law have been dissolved, and district heads appointed or elevated under the law are to revert to their former positions.

Commissioner for Local Government shall oversee all transitional arrangements, including how to deal with the assets and liabilities of the abolished Emirates and the new structures created under the repealed Principal Law dated 5th December, 2019.

Similarly, all the affected Emirs of the five Emirates have been directed to handover properties in their possessions to the Commissioner of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs.

-Daily Trust

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content