Give Nigerians affordable, quality vehicles, Tinubu challenges auto manufacturers – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Give Nigerians affordable, quality vehicles, Tinubu challenges auto manufacturers

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Give Nigerians affordable, quality vehicles, Tinubu challenges auto manufacturers

President Bola Tinubu has urged the Nigerian Automotive Manufacturers Association to devise ways of producing vehicles that would be affordable for all categories of Nigerians.

He said this is necessary as the government rolls out consumer credit for millions of Nigerians to purchase vehicles and other important goods and services.

He also urged the delegation to ensure that locally manufactured vehicles are of the highest standard that would stand the test of time, and complement the government’s efforts in revitalising the automotive industry.

Tinubu said this when he received a delegation of the African Association of Automotive Manufacturers and the Nigerian Automotive Manufacturers Association in Aso Rock presidential villa on Friday, according to a statement by presidential spokesman Ajuri Ngelale.

The President, represented by his Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, met the members led by the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Ms Doris Uzoka-Anite, on Friday in Abuja.

READ ALSO:

The delegation had earlier notified the President of their efforts to start manufacturing vehicle and spare parts in Nigeria.

He said that a legislative bill to drive the automotive industry was being drafted and reviewed by the Federal Ministry of Justice.

They emphasised the need to develop the industry, which would create massive employment for youths and ease the burden on the much-needed foreign exchange.

The delegation consisted of the Director-General of the National Automotive Design and Development Council (NADDC), Mr Oluwemimo Osanipin.

Others are the representatives of the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), as well as Executive Directors of Stallion Group, Toyota/CEAO and NISSAN.

Give Nigerians affordable, quality vehicles, Tinubu challenges auto manufacturers

(NAN)

News

Atiku: I’ll keep contesting for presidency, drawing inspiration from Abraham Lincoln seven attempts

Published

on

Atiku Abubakar

Atiku: I’ll keep contesting for presidency, drawing inspiration from Abraham Lincoln seven attempts

The former vice president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar, has said that he will “keep contesting” for the Presidency as long as he is healthy.

He made the statement in an interview with Voice of America’s Hausa service in Abuja

Atiku, a 77-year-old man was the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) flag-bearer in the 2023 election.

When the 2027 presidential election rolls around, the politician will be 81 years old.

“Of course, I will keep contesting again and again as long as I am alive and healthy,” Abubakar said.

Atiku has run for the number one office six times, but has been on the ballot as a presidential candidate on three occasions — 2007, 2019, and 2023.

Atiku said he is consoled by the fact that former United States President Abraham Lincoln did not win the presidential vote on the first time of asking.

READ ALSO:

He also spoke about the crisis in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), saying the party needs to be united and forge alliances with other political groups to win the presidential election in 2027.

“Even the former US President Abraham Lincoln contested seven times before finally winning,” he said.

“However, given the current state of the PDP, it is clear that a single-handed effort will not suffice to win the election. Strong support and collaboration with other parties are required.”

Last week, Atiku said he was engaging Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 election, to discuss the possibility of a merger.

“This is to anybody that thinks there is going to be a misunderstanding between me and Obi, let me assure you that not even a small issue is going to happen between us,” Atiku said.

“Also, we are going to be behind anybody that will be chosen to represent us in the forthcoming elections.

“I have made it clear in my previous speeches that if our parties are going to merge to agree on a candidate from the south-east, as long as he is qualified, we will allow it.”

Atiku: I’ll keep contesting for presidency, drawing inspiration from Abraham Lincoln seven attempts

Continue Reading

News

NCAA threatens to sanction Turkish Airline for maltreating Nigerians

Published

on

NCAA threatens to sanction Turkish Airline for maltreating Nigerians

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), has said that it would not hesitate to invoke relevant sections of the organisation’s regulations to sanction Turkish Airline over mistreatment of Nigerian passengers.

NCAA’s Director, Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Mr Michael Achimugu, disclosed this to newsmen on Wednesday in Lagos.

Achimugu said that President Bola Tinubu had directed NCAA, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and relevant agencies, to ensure that the rights of Nigerian passengers were protected at all times.

He said the NCAA was currently mediating on the feud between the European carrier and aviation labour unions, who picketed the airline’s operations at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

According to him, the agency will not hesitate to roll out stiff penalties and sanctions to Turkish Airlines as Nigerian passengers, are still stranded at the airport, following its failure to airlift them to Istanbul.

Achimugu said the Federal Government and its agencies would spare no effort to call to order any airline that violates the rights of Nigerian passengers.

According to him, the Director-General of NCAA, Capt. Chris Najomo, had in a virtual meeting on Tuesday from the United Kingdom initiated reconciliatory moves between the Country Manager of Turkish Airlines and the unions.

READ ALSO:

He, however, said the representative of the airline exhibited some traits of impudence, which the regulator deemed amounted to lack of regard for the system.

Arising from the infraction, Achimugu said the Federal Government would not hesitate to look deep into the impasse with the possibility of extracting the right punishment if the carrier is found culpable.

The Federal Government, he said, would take every step to ensure the rights of Nigerian passengers are not trampled on by any carrier, including foreign airlines, in taking the right steps to address any infractions on their conditions of operations into the country.

He confirmed that over 300 passengers had been trapped in the imbroglio involving the Turkish Airlines, and aviation unions, as the carrier had canceled flights out of and into Nigeria until Thursday.

Achimugu said that, though, the carrier claimed to have communicated with passengers through electronic mail on the on-going hitch concerning its operations into and out of the country, some passengers still turned up at the Lagos Airport.

He said: “The NCAA is currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the inability of Turkish Airlines to operate flights out of Lagos Airport, due to the picketing of its operations by aviation unions.

“We will ensure that the rights of Nigerian passengers are not violated.

“President Bola Tinubu has directed the NCAA, FAAN and relevant agencies to ensure that the rights of Nigerian passengers are protected.

“Currently, the NCAA is engaging officials of Turkish Airlines, but we have observed some degree of insolence of the Country Manager, who engaged our D-G in a shouting match, he was even banging the table.

“This behaviour to the NCAA is unacceptable. At the end of our findings, if the airline is found culpable, we will invoke the relevant parts of our regulation Part 17, to met out the right punishment,” he said.

Achimugu on Wednesday evening visited the stranded passengers at the new terminal of the international airport, where he conveyed the message of the D-G to them, saying hat the authority would not rest until they were transported to their various destinations.

READ ALSO:

One of the stranded passengers, Obiekwe Ngozichukwu, a Guttenberg, Sweden resident, said he was afraid of losing his job as a top official of one of the hotels in that country, because the company had been calling him to resume work.

He said he visited Nigeria for his mother’s burial, but could not go back because of the cancellation of his flight, and had been sleeping on the floor at the airport for two days.

“We don’t know when we are leaving here. I appeal to the authorities to intervene and save us from this experience.”

Another passenger, a Germany based construction worker, Charles Ifeanyi, also appealed to the Federal Government to intervene, to save the situation, lamenting that the authorities must not allow Nigerians to be maltreated anywhere in the world anyhow.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had begun the picketing of Turkish Airlines in Lagos.

The picketing was to ensure that the carrier reinstates staffers, who were dismissed, forced to abandon duty or forced to resign under duress, including those victimised for their union membership in 2020.

(NAN)

NCAA threatens to sanction Turkish Airline for maltreating Nigerians

Continue Reading

News

DHQ tackles Katsina gov over claims military benefiting from terrorism

Published

on

DHQ tackles Katsina gov over claims military benefiting from terrorism

The Defence Headquarters on Wednesday called on Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda, to provide evidence to support his allegations against the military.

During an appearance on Channels Television’s “Politics Today” on April 5, 2024, Radda accused the military of aiding and profiting from terrorism in Katsina State.

In response, Maj. Gen. Buba Edward, Director of Defence Media Operations, stated that while the military would not engage in a war of words with the governor, they urged him to present his evidence to the military high command.

Edward said, “The attention of the Defence Headquarters has been drawn to a weighty allegation labelled against the Armed Forces of Nigeria by the Executive Governor of Katsina State, His Excellency Governor Dikko Radda. The governor granted an interview on Channels Television programme ‘Politics Today’ on 5 April 2024, alleging that the military is aiding and profiting from terrorism activities in Katsina State.

READ ALSO:

“The AFN is hereby making it unequivocally clear that, it is subservient to all elected government representatives and, therefore, regards the relationship with utmost respect.

“In the light of the aforementioned statement of His Excellency, the Governor of Katsina State, the AFN elects not to trade words with the state governor but rather would encourage him to approach the military high command to substantiate his allegations. “

Buba stated that the military remained “unperturbed by such statements capable of demoralising or dampening the spirit of troops in operational theatres.”

“Rather, we will continue on the trajectory of conducting operations as well as working assiduously in the fight against terrorism.

“It is worthy of note to state that, the AFN led by the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa OFR, has zero tolerance for indiscipline and any form of criminality in the conduct of operations across the country. It is for this reason that there are standing court martials to treat any form of misbehaviour by troops especially those that portray the military negatively to the general populace,” he said.

Buba said, “Overall, the Armed Forces is for Nigerians and as such citizens are urged to own it and also report any credible observed bad conduct within the ranks so that they can face the appropriate military justice system.”

DHQ tackles Katsina gov over claims military benefiting from terrorism

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content