metro
Gunmen kill APC chieftain, 3 others in Benue
Gunmen kill APC chieftain, 3 others in Benue
Akaabo Johnson, an All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain alongside three others have been killed after some unknown gunmen invaded Mbalom and Mbasombo council wards of Gwer East Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue State.
The Chairman of Gwer East LGA Chairman, Timothy Adi, confirmed that the attack was carried out on Tuesday, May 6 stating that the gunmen carried out the unprovoked at the harmless residents.
Adi stated that the assailants stormed the area on Tuesday, May around 4:35 p.m and started firing indiscriminately leading to the deaths of four individuals.
He expressed concern over the repeated violent activities by gunmen and armed herders in the region, noting that this was the second such attack in just two weeks.
READ ALSO:
- EFCC releases VeryDarkMan after five days in detention
- How Cristiano Ronaldo cancelled our planned dinner after team’s defeat – Davido
- Defence minister tackles Reps for saying terrorists possess superior weaponry
Adi mentioned that security personnel had been deployed to the area to safeguard the LGA’s boundaries and prevent further violence.
He said, “Four dead bodies among them an APC elder in the ward were recovered and there bodies taken to St. Gregory Hospital morgue.
“I urge residents, particularly the youth, to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to relevant security agencies.
“We must remain united and steadfast.
“This attack is a tragedy, but we will not allow fear to rule us.
“Governor Alia is not resting but plans are underway to put an end to these unprovoked attacks.”
He finally thanked Governor Hyacinth Alia for his swift intervention and support, which enabled the rapid dispatch of security forces to the affected communities.
However, the state’s police spokesperson Catherine Anene, have not yet made any comment regarding the incident.
Gunmen kill APC chieftain, 3 others in Benue
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro2 days agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
metro2 days agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
-
International2 days agoIran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
