Hamas seeks 'complete halt' to war in Gaza proposal response – Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Hamas seeks ‘complete halt’ to war in Gaza proposal response

Published

on

Hamas seeks ‘complete halt’ to war in Gaza proposal response

Hamas says it has submitted its response to a US-backed plan for a ceasefire in Gaza, with a senior group official telling the BBC that it still requires an Israeli commitment to a permanent ceasefire.

In a statement, the group, and its Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) allies, expressed “readiness to positively” reach a deal.

The proposed ceasefire plan – which was endorsed by the UN security council on Monday night – calls for a six-week ceasefire that would eventually become permanent.

Qatar and Egypt – who, along with the US, have mediated negotiations between Israel and Hamas – confirmed that the Palestinian group had submitted its reply.

In its statement on Tuesday evening, Hamas called for a “complete halt” to fighting in Gaza.

“The response prioritises the interests of our Palestinian people and emphasises the necessity of a complete halt to the ongoing aggression on Gaza,” Hamas and the PIJ said.

The groups added that they were ready “to engage positively to reach an agreement that ends this war”.

READ ALSO:

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby said it was “helpful” that Hamas had submitted a response and that US officials were “evaluating” the group’s requests.

Earlier on Tuesday US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had “reaffirmed his commitment” to the Gaza ceasefire plan and the world was waiting for the Hamas response.

The proposal set out by President Biden last month involves an initial six-week ceasefire, with Hamas releasing some hostages in exchange for Israel releasing an undefined number of Palestinian prisoners.

A second phase would see the remaining hostages released by Hamas and a total withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza as part of a “permanent” ceasefire, but the latter would still be subject to negotiations.

The actual Israeli proposal – reportedly lengthier than the summary presented by Mr Biden – has not been made public and it is unclear whether it varies from what the president conveyed in his statement on 31 May. It was presented to Hamas days prior to Mr Biden’s speech.

Mr Netanyahu has acknowledged his war cabinet has authorised the plan but has not voiced unequivocal support for it. Far right members of his cabinet have threatened to quit his coalition and trigger its collapse if the deal goes forward, seeing it as surrender to Hamas.

Hamas seeks ‘complete halt’ to war in Gaza proposal response

BBC

International

King Salman orders change of Saudi ministry name

Published

on

King Salman

King Salman orders change of Saudi ministry name

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s King Salman issued an order on Sunday to change the name of the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs and Housing to the Ministry of Municipalities and Housing, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

Saudi Housing Minister Majid Al-Hogail expressed his gratitude to King Salman, and stressed that the name change was a progressive step reflecting the nation’s commitment to fostering an advanced urban environment in alignment with Vision 2030 objectives.

READ ALSO:

The change aims to enhance the overall performance of the ministry and its affiliated bodies, including secretariats and municipalities, to achieve sustainable urban development plans, the SPA added.

It also seeks to empower municipalities to improve the quality of life in cities and advance the housing sector by offering innovative services to beneficiaries.

Al-Hogail highlighted that the municipalities and housing sector were crucial components of the state, directly impacting the lives of citizens.

King Salman orders change of Saudi ministry name

Continue Reading

International

US election: Biden was never fit to run, says Trump

Published

on

President Joe Biden and Donald Trump

US election: Biden was never fit to run, says Trump

Former US President, Donald Trump, has said President Joe Biden was never fit or possessed the capacity to lead the country.

Trump, the Republican candidate for the 2024 presidential election, said this in reaction to the news that has shelved from his re-election bid.

Trump said all those around Biden, including his Doctor and the Media, knew that he wasn’t capable of being President.

He made this known in a statement on his Truth Social handle.

Trump said that Biden was not fit to run for President, and also certainly not fit to serve.

He added that Biden became President by lies and fake news.

READ ALSO:

He said: “Crooked Joe Biden was not fit to run for President, and is certainly not fit to serve – And never was! He only attained the position of President by lies, Fake News, and not leaving his Basement.

“All those around him, including his Doctor and the Media, knew that he wasn’t capable of being President, and he wasn’t – And now, look what he’s done to our Country, with millions of people coming across our Border, totally unchecked and unvetted, many from prisons, mental institutions, and record numbers of terrorists.

“We will suffer greatly because of his presidency, but we will remedy the damage he has done very quickly. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

Within Nigeria had reported that Biden announced his withdrawal from the 2024 presidential race on Sunday.

He said it was in the interest of his party and Americans.

US election: Biden was never fit to run, says Trump

Continue Reading

International

JUST IN: Biden ‘must resign’ as president ‘immediately’ – House Speaker

Published

on

Joe Biden and Mike Johnson

JUST IN: Biden ‘must resign’ as president ‘immediately’ – House Speaker

Joe Biden must resign as president “immediately,” the top Republican in Congress said Sunday, after the US president announced he was abandoning his bid to retake the White House amid intense pressure over his age.

READ ALSO:

“If Joe Biden is not fit to run for president, he is not fit to serve as president. He must resign the office immediately. November 5 cannot arrive soon enough,” said House Speaker Mike Johnson in a statement.

AFP

Continue Reading

Trending