metro
Hoodlums brutalise politician fighting for children’s custody
A politician, Hamisu Magaji, has demanded justice after hoodlums allegedly brutalised him on his way to a destination around Toyin Street, in the Ikeja area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro gathered that Magaji was going to visit a relative in the area when the hoodlums allegedly attacked him with weapons.
However, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said Magaji was attempting to take custody of his four children when the matter degenerated.
Magaji said after the hoodlums allegedly brutalised him, some good Samaritans rushed him to a hospital.
He said, “What happened was that when I came to Lagos last Sunday, I visited a family member around Toyin Street, off Allen Avenue, Ikeja. I got there around 2pm to 3pm but I got beaten by a mob.
“I was beaten mercilessly; actually, the plan was to murder me. It was God out of his favour that spared my life. I am not going to put everything out in the public, but the matter was reported to the police and other relevant security agencies.
“In order not to tamper with the ongoing investigation, I will hesitate to give clear disclosure on some things. Policemen from the Ikeja division were there as I was attacked by more than 20 people. When I was almost fainting, I was rushed to the Area F Command, where a doctor gave me first aid.
READ ALSO:
- APC expels two for anti-party activities in Abia
- Dele Momodu accuses Tinubu of repackaging Abiola’s manifesto
- Rishi Sunak favoured to become next UK PM after Boris Johnson withrawal
“I was given some drugs and I was referred to other medical facilities in the state. Part of the recommendation was for me to have a scan of my skull, spinal cord, arms, limbs and waist. The results are out and we have presented them to the medical doctors and we believe when the police have those reports, appropriate actions would be taken.”
Reacting to the incident, the Lagos State Secretary, Arewa Community, Alhaji Musa Sale, condemned the attack on Magaji.
He urged the police to arrest the perpetrators.
He said, “The attack happened at Ikeja, Lagos, when those youths identified Hamisu Magaji, a member of the All Progressives Congress, pounced on him and beat him mercilessly, leading to injuries capable of killing him.”
In his reaction, Hundeyin said Magaji visited the area with two soldiers to take custody of his children, adding that the police were contacted when trouble ensued.
He said, “I made an inquiry; that man (Magaji) had a marriage with someone and had four children and the children were in the woman’s custody. He was trying to take custody of the children; he went with two soldiers to that place in Ikeja and was causing trouble.
“People around called the police and the police got there and took them to the station, including the soldiers. They came from the State Criminal Investigative Department to take over the case. When the case got there, Alhaji (Magaji) refused to write a statement. His lawyer came and he was given another date to look into the matter and he has not shown up since then.”
metro
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.
The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.
According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.
READ ALSO:
- Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.
Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.
The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.
Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
metro
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.
Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.
Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.
READ ALSO:
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
- Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.
The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.
In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.
Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.
Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
metro
Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.
The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.
In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.
“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.
Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.
The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.
Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.
During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.
According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.
Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.
She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.
As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International15 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News1 day agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


