metro
How my brother impregnated, offered to marry 12-year-old girl – Witness tells court
How my brother impregnated, offered to marry 12-year-old girl – Witness tells court
A prosecution witness, Ms Joy Tyokghri, on Wednesday, told an Abuja High Court that her younger brother, Godspower Vandefan, admitted he befriended 12-year-old girl and got her pregnant.
Tyokghri, who made this known while being led in evidence by the defence counsel, Ameize Obi, however said their family offered to marry the minor.
The Attorney-General of the Federation charged Vendefan with rape.
“The defendant is my younger brother. Sometime in January 2024, I received a message from Mr Kenneth Atu, the minor’s guardian.
“I checked on him three times but did not meet him at home.
“So, the next day, I got a call from the Karmo Police Station asking me to report there. I asked why and was told that Atu reported that my younger brother got his daughter pregnant.
“I was shocked and angry with my brother, and told Atu to do whatever he deemed proper with my brother.
“Afterwards, I pleaded with Atu to consider our relationship because we are both from Benue.
READ ALSO:
- Israeli strikes kill 140 in Gaza as attention shifts to Iran conflict
- FG records milestone with first-ever common entrance into TVET Class 1
- $456.95m unremitted funds: Reps committee threatens to sanction 13 oil firms
“My brother told me that the girl was his girlfriend and admitted that he was responsible for the pregnancy.
“He said the girl visits him at my house when I am at work, but I was not aware of what had been going on; otherwise, I would have stopped it,” she said.
She said she visited their traditional leader in Karmo and explained everything to him.
She said the chief advised them not to allow the matter to go out, saying that it is excruciating but should be handled amicably as Tiv people.
“Atu told the Chief that he wanted to go to the village to inform the minor’s family about the issue, and I begged one of my uncles to go to the village as well to see the family in Makurdi,” she said.
The witness said that her uncle asked the minor’s family for her hand in marriage, but the family declined, saying that she was too young.
She said that her uncle gave the minor’s family some money and promised to take care of her upkeep.
Justice Njideka Nwosu-Iheme, however, adjourned the matter until Sept.18 for hearing.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the prosecution, M.A. Oladunjoye, alleged that the defendant forcefully had sexual intercourse with the 12-year-old and got her pregnant.
The offence, she said, contravened the provisions of section 31(1) and was punishable under (2) of the said section of the Child Rights Act 2013.
How my brother impregnated, offered to marry 12-year-old girl – Witness tells court
(NAN)
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
metro2 days agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
