Connect with us

metro

How Neighbour Kidnapped, Murdered 5-Year-Old Girl In Bauchi

Published

on

Late Khadija Abdullahi and Kabiru Abdullahi

Just when the nation is recovering from the shocking news of the murder of five-year-old Hanifa Abubakar by her school proprietor in Kano last year, a similar case  happened in Narabi village in Toro Local Government Area, Bauchi State.

Officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps  announced on Tuesday that they have arrested 52-year-old Kabiru Abdullahi and Alhaji Yawale, 45, for kidnapping and killing of a five-year-old girl, Khadija Abdullahi,  after receiving a N150,000 ransom.

The state Commandant, Nurudeen Abdullahi, said the men kidnapped the child in front of her family house and took her to a bridge where they strangled and put her body in a sack.

He said the suspects later buried the corpse in Kabiru’s kitchen and thereafter contacted her father, a businessman.

He said both men demanded N1m ransom, adding that after bargaining, they collected N150,000.

“A team of investigators dug the sack from the ground and took the body to the General Hospital, Toro, where she was certified dead by a medical doctor.”

Abdullahi said the suspects would be handed over to the police for further investigation and prosecution.

Speaking to a Daily Trust correspondent, the father of the deceased, Abdullahi Yusuf, said he had never imagined that Kabiru Abdullahi would carry out this dastardly act because of their relationship. He recalled that the suspect was instrumental to him acquiring the plot of land where he built his present house. He said, moreover the suspect kept all the building materials used in building the house seven years ago.

READ ALSO:

Malam Abdullahi Yusuf  said his daughter went missing on April  18. He was at the shop in the market when he was called and told that she has not been seen. “A day after, I reported the case to the police station but seven days later, there was no news about where she was and on the eighth day, I receive a letter, which was dropped at the gate of my house. The letter said my daughter was being held and they were demanding N1 million as ransom.

Abdullahi Yusuf  said two weeks later, he received an SMS via his phone asking him to immediately make efforts to pay the ransom. He said the kidnappers added that his daughter was being exposed to the rainfall and other vagaries. They said he should blame himself if this resulted in the death of his daughter.

He said after receiving the message, he called and started negotiating with the kidnappers. He said, he told them that he could not afford the N1 million they were demanding and they asked him to pay N300, 000, which he also told them he did not have that amount.

“After that, they asked me how much I could afford and I replied N50,000, which they rejected and started abusing me. I jerked it to N100, 000 but they insisted on N200,000. We later agreed on N150, 000.

“They asked me to take the money to a spot close to a tree in our village, which I complied with.’’

He said they later picked up the money and promised to release his daughter at 2 p.m. that day but they did not do that up to the following morning.

“I sent them a text message asking them why they failed to release my daughter after they had promised. They replied that I should not disturb them and they ceased any communication with me,’’ he said.

“On May 5, they sent another text message demanding for an additional N150, 000 otherwise I will never see my daughter again. I was very upset with the message. They asked me to call them the following day and when I called, they started abusing me again but I grew angry and abused them back.’’

Abdullahi said later people in the neighbourhood started suspecting his neighbour when they noticed that soon after the incident he had relocated to his new house in another part of the village.

He said following this, a report was lodged at the office of the Civil Defence Corps whose officers arrested the suspect. He said when Kabiru was interrogated, he confessed to committing the act.

“After that, the officials of the Civil Defence took him to their office and asked about my daughter and he told them that they had killed her and when asked about the corpse, he told them he had dropped it in a pond.

READ ALSO:

“He was later taken to Bauchi and when he was asked again he maintained that they had thrown the body inside a pond.’’

Abdullahi  said on their return to the village, they decided that the suspect should further be interrogated on the whereabouts of the corpse since the body could not be found where he claimed they had thrown it.

“After further interrogation by the officials of the Civil Defence, he admitted that they have killed the girl and buried the body inside his house.

“We went to the house and searched and found the body,  which was earlier put inside a sack before it was buried. We had to use a knife to cut it open. We have since buried her’’

He said he was more devastated before the discovery of her remains.

“Before her corpse was found, I could not sleep for five days but after it was found, I became relaxed and was able to eat.

“This man was very close to my children. Sometimes, I would meet him playing with them in front of my house. The girl knew him very well and played with him. On the day he moved from our neighbourhood, his children slept in my house,’’ Abdullahi said.

Abdullahi Yusuf  said the other suspect lives in a nearby village and was the one who was speaking to him on phone.

He thanked officials of the NSCDC for their professionalism, which led to the arrest of the suspects. He called on the authorities to ensure justice is done in the case.

Also speaking to Daily Trust, the mother of the deceased, Maimuna Abdullahi, said her daughter was kidnapped while playing with her siblings in front of their house.

He said “I never thought this man would betray us because of the close relationship we have with him and members of his family. It is unfortunate that he could do this to a girl that was calling him `daddy.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Bauchi State Command, Ahmed Wakil, said they were yet to receive any report from officials of the NSCDC on the case.

metro

Brazilian Returnee Arrested With Cocaine In Private Part, NDLEA Seizes London-Bound Consignment

Published

on

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a Brazilian returnee, Uche Benson Igwedum
Igwedum was nabbed at the arrival hall of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja Lagos with pellets of cocaine concealed in his private part, NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi said.
The NDLEA spokesman in a statement on Sunday noted that Igwedum was nabbed at the Lagos airport on Monday 20th June upon his arrival on Ethiopian Airlines from Sao Paulo, Brazil via Addis Ababa.
“Preliminary investigations reveal the suspect had swallowed 50 wraps of cocaine before departing Brazil and excreted 48 pellets in Addis Ababa where he handed them over to another person,” the statement read.
“He, however, claimed he was unable to excrete the remaining two wraps at the hotel room in Addis Ababa before boarding his flight but later excreted them in the aircraft restroom during the flight from Ethiopia to Lagos.”
Similarly, NDLEA operatives apprehended a drug kingpin, Onyekachi Chukwuma MacDonald, after three weeks of painstaking investigation and tracking.
READ ALSO:
He is accused of being behind attempts to export 40 parcels of Methamphetamine popularly called Mkpuru Mmiri locally to London, United Kingdom through the NAHCO export shed of the Lagos airport.
MacDonald was arrested at Manacola Estate, Alakuko area of Lagos at the weekend, three weeks after his Mkpuru Mmiri consignment weighing 2.05 kilograms was intercepted at the airport and his freight agent, Peter Christopher Anikan arrested on 7th June.
“During his interview, the suspect said he’s from Ahiazu, Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo state and had lived in Dubai, UAE for 10 years before returning to Nigeria in 2019.
“He stated that after his return to Nigeria, he opened a phone accessories shop in Sango Otta, Ogun State but the business collapsed. He then started sending cigarettes to London and decided to conceal the illicit drug in the consignment after advice from a friend.
“Closely related is the seizure of another consignment of 2kg Mkpuru Mmiri at a courier house in Owerri, Imo state. The cargo seized on Wednesday 22nd June had ankara and lace fabrics in which two cylindrical cellophanes containing the drug heading to Hong Kong were concealed,” the statement added.
Also at the Lagos airport, NDLEA operatives on Friday 24th June intercepted 500,000 tablets of Tramadol 225mg packed in 10 cartons and labelled Tramaking imported from Karachi, Pakistan on Emirates Airline. The consignment weighing 407.60kg was seized during a joint examination with Customs and NAFDAC officials.
The same day, a Dubai, UAE-bound passenger, Alegbeleye Taiwo was arrested at the departure hall of the MMIA with 40 ampoules of pentazocine injection. The 21-year-old suspect claims he’s from Osun state.
Meanwhile, two kingpins behind the importation of two recent drug consignments from Canada concealed in vehicle containers through the Tincan seaport in Apapa, Lagos have been arrested by NDLEA operatives.
One of them, Gboyega Ayoola Elegbeji was arrested at his house, 14 Bakare Street, Idi Araba, Lagos on Wednesday 22nd June, for importing a 40ft container TRHU7874497 containing 33 parcels of cannabis indica (Colorado) weighing16.5kg.
The second suspect, Sunday Joe Oyebola, (aka Otunba) was arrested on Thursday 23rd June. He’s linked to the importation of a 40ft container MEDU4389887 containing four vehicles used to conceal 290 parcels weighing 145kg cannabis indica (Colorado) from Montreal, Canada. He had been on the run since March and had in the course of the investigation attempted to bribe officers with N10million to influence the case.
In his response, NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd) commended the officers and men of the MMIA, Tincan, and Imo state Commands of the Agency for the drug seizures and arrests, especially of those who thought they could evade the long arm of the law. He encouraged them and their compatriots across other formations to intensify their efforts toward achieving set goals.
HERALD
Continue Reading

metro

Bauchi man lures teenager to farm, plucks out eyes for ritual

Published

on

The Bauchi State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of a suspected ritualist, Isaac Ezekiel, for allegedly plucking the eyes of a 16-year-old boy, Uzairu Salisu.

Two accomplices, Nensok Bawa, 38, and Yohana Luka, aka Doctor Samu, 52, were also arrested in connection with the crime, which happened at Yelwa community, in the Bauchi area of the state.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident happened around 9am on June 24 when Ezekiel lured Salisu to do a casual job for him on a farm in the community.

Salisu was said to be doing the job when the suspect allegedly used a wire to strangulate him till he lost consciousness.

Afterwards, the 32-year-old reportedly used a knife to pluck out the two eyes of the minor and abandoned him on the farm.

READ ALSO:

The ward head, Mohammed Lawal, who was among the people who found the minor writhing in pain, alerted the police to the incident.

The victim was said to have identified Ezekiel as the culprit, leading to his arrest.

In a statement on Monday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ahmed Wakil, said Ezekiel and his accomplices had been arrested, adding that the victim’s eyeballs were also recovered.

He said, “Sequel to the case of a suspected ritualist who plucked the eyes of a minor, the suspect, Isaac Ezekiel, 32, of Rafin Zurfi, Yelwa, Bauchi metropolitan, has been arrested, and he voluntarily confessed to the crime.

“A prompt search of his house by the police led to the recovery of Uzairu Salisu’s eyeballs. Exhibits recovered from the suspect are the two human eyeballs in a calabash, the cable wire used in perpetrating the heinous act and a travelling bag containing some native medicine.”

Noting that Bawa and Luka connived with Ezekiel to perpetrate the crime, the PPRO said all the suspects would be prosecuted at the completion of investigation.

Continue Reading

metro

Make Judicial Reform Your First Task, NBA President Urges Acting CJN Ariwoola

Published

on

Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola
The President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Olumide Akpata, has called on the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, to reform the nation’s judiciary and restore public confidence in the third arm of government.
Mr Akpata made the call on Monday in a statement while reacting to the resignation of the former CJN, Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad.
He reiterated the need for urgent reforms in the judiciary, urging the incoming chief justice to make judicial reform and the restoration of public confidence in the judiciary his first task upon assuming office.
The NBA president pledged the readiness of the Bar to work together with Justice Ariwoola in cleansing “the Augean stable and addressing the ills that have continued to plague not just the judiciary but the entire legal profession”.
READ ALSO:
He also thanked the outgone chief justice for the cordial working relationship between the bar and the bench during his tenure and wished him a quick recovery and well-deserved peaceful retirement.
“It is, however, impossible to consider his lordship’s retirement in isolation of the recent unprecedented developments at the Supreme Court where 14 justices of the court censured the outgone Chief Justice of Nigeria over his lordship’s handling of their welfare and related issues,” said Akpata.
President Muhammadu Buhari had sworn in Justice Ariwoola to replace Justice Muhammad who resigned as the CJN on Sunday night on grounds of ill-health.
News of Muhammad’s resignation broke barely a week after 14 justices of the Supreme Court wrote to him to lament the dilapidated state of affairs in the apex court.
In a leaked letter, the justices alleged that Justice Muhammad failed to address the issues raised despite drawing his attention to them, among other claims.
But these allegations were denied by an aide to the former CJN.
Continue Reading

Trending