How the story of Kano blind teacher changed for good - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

How the story of Kano blind teacher changed for good

Published

on

Dahuru (middle) when he was hosted by Gov. Ganduje

At the beginning of the year, Dahuru neither had his personal house nor a paid employment.

But things changed for better after a Daily Trust report brought him to the limelight.

The report had focused on how he did not allow his physical impairment to hinder his quest for education as well as to contribute his quota to the society.

A philanthropist had earlier reached out after the Daily Trust story published on September 25 and bought a three-bedroom apartment for Dahuru and his family, who were hitherto living in a rented house.

The state government, through its commissioner for education, Muhammad Sanusi Sa’id Kiru, also reached out on Saturday following the publication of a video of Dahuru on Daily Trust platforms.

Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, who met with Dahuru on Sunday in his office in company of the commissioner, asked the young blind teacher what he wanted the state government to do for him, to which he (Dahuru) reiterated his earlier appeal for a permanent and pensionable employment.

Ganduje thereafter directed Dahuru to be offered a permanent and pensionable teaching job Special Education School, Tudun Maliki on Grade 7(2).

This is the same school Dahuru had his primary and secondary education.

A provisional offer of employment was immediately printed and offered to Dahuru at the office of the state’s commissioner of education pending the formalization of his employment by the Office of the Head of Civil Service.

The commissioner told Daily Trust that immediately he saw the trending report online on Saturday, he started looking for way to reach out to the blind teacher and fortunately he got through to him through this reporter.

“There and then I called Excellency, the governor, and briefed him about it and he requested that I should bring him to give him words of encouragement.

“To God be the glory his Excellency has seen him and blessed him with words of encouragement and appreciated his courage. Though a blind person but educated up to NCE (and now studying for a degree)

“Having been impressed with the good determination of the gentleman, His Excellency directed that I should offer him employment as a teacher on grade level 7 and to post him to Tudun Maliki Special Education school. So Dahuru is now an employed teacher with Kano State Ministry of Education.”

He said the governor’s gesture was encouraging with the hope that more people like Dahuru will emulate the young blind teacher.

“I also want to congratulate Dahuru for this exceptional appointment, at this very hard time, for somebody to get employment is highly encouraging.

“I also thank Daily Trust for doing this humanitarian story, especially the reporter and their editors. You have done an excellent job and God Almighty will reward you”, the commissioner said.

Daily Trust reports that Dahuru is currently studying at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) on a full scholarship courtesy of Professor Uba Abdallah, the immediate past Vice Chancellor of the institution.

Similarly, following Saturday’s publication of Dahuru’s video, Near Foundation offered him a N10,000 monthly transportation support till the end of his study at NOUN.

Days earlier, a philanthropist, who asked not to be named, had bought a house for him at a destination closed to the school where Dahuru was volunteering.

The house was also furnished by the philanthropist.

Recalled that Dahuru was featured in the Daily Trust’s September 25 Encounter page of the weekend title

The story had captured Dahuru’s struggles in life and how he overcame the challenges to become educated and a contributor to the development of others.

In the story, Dahuru narrated how he withstood the rigours to earn himself a National Certificate of Education (NCE) and secured scholarship into a degree program to further his ambition to one day become a lecturer.

After the story, the philanthropist had reached out to Dahuru through Daily Trust and the outcome of their meeting was a new home for Dahuru and his family as well as some cash gifts.

From that day, the blind volunteer teacher said he could not sleep properly and had almost sleepless nights for the change that came to him which he never dreamt of.

According to him, since the time he was handed the papers of the house, he sees it as a dream and could not believe he is now a property owner.

“I still see it as a dream, unless if I remember the man and what he said when we visited his house.

“I have been struggling to get what is better but never thought of getting a house as nice as this one. Though I cannot see but I feel its beauty in me. Many people have said it. My elder brother has been talking about it all these days. To be honest with you, this is the talk of the town in our area, our house and the neighborhood.”

Dahuru’s family said they were surprised further when the philanthropist sent some people to bring furniture for their new home.

“I doubt if we have this type of people in the world. While we are celebrating the purchase of the house, we just received a call that the man said we should wait for the furniture. To our surprised he sent his boys with three sets of new furniture for the three rooms. This is beyond imagining in our minds. We have no words to thank him enough, may Allah reward him abundantly and may the gentle souls of his parents rest in eternal peace,” Dahuru’s mother said while praying continuously for the man.

His father, who has been suffering from an ailment for years, said Dahuru is a blessing to his family and has brought a lot of development that they never thought of getting.

“We don’t have a house, we live in rent house. The house we are living presently is uncompleted and some parts are fenced with roofing iron. But today just like a dream we have our own well-furnished house, with electricity and all other things needed. We thank Almighty Allah for this change that come to our life.

“We also thank the man who did this for us. We don’t know him yet, and we asked if we could go and thank him but he said no. So wherever he is, we wish him the best. We will forever be grateful to him and we will never stop praying for him, his parents and entire family.

“For you (our reporter) and Daily Trust that have been the source of this life changing gift to us, we want to say thank you. We wish the Daily Trust and its entire staff the best. You will remain in our history forever,” the old man said in tears.

Daily Trust

metro

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Published

on

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Awhum, Udi LGA, Enugu State — At least 18 passengers were killed after a massive ancestral tree, locally known as “Ukwu Akpu Awhum,” collapsed onto a commercial 18‑seater bus on Tuesday, during a heavy thunderstorm and rainfall. The bus was en route from Ukehe in Igbo‑Etiti LGA to Enugu metropolis when the tragedy occurred.

Eyewitnesses said the ancient tree fell without warning, crushing the bus and its occupants instantly. “The rain was very heavy, the wind was strong, and we heard a loud crash,” one resident recalled. All passengers were reportedly killed on impact.

READ ALSO:

Local resident Charly Okeke suggested that recent human activity, including tying red and white cloths around the tree trunk for spiritual purposes, may have weakened the tree, contributing to the collapse. The community has been thrown into mourning, as families grapple with the sudden loss.

Emergency responders and local volunteers rushed to the scene, pulling survivors from the wreckage and transporting the injured to nearby hospitals. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the collapse, though no official statement has been released by Enugu State authorities as of now.

The tragedy highlights the dangers posed by aged trees along busy roads, especially during periods of torrential rain and strong winds, and underscores the need for public safety measures and regular assessments of roadside trees to prevent similar disasters.

Tragic Tree Collapse in Enugu Kills 18 Passengers on Commercial Bus

Continue Reading

metro

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Published

on

Over 200 Killed as Deadly Landslide Hits Mining Community in Congo

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Kampani Zurak, Wase LGA, Plateau State — Tragedy struck early Wednesday morning as a carbon monoxide gas leak at an underground mining site claimed the lives of at least 37 miners and injured more than 20 others. The incident occurred around 6:30 a.m., shortly after workers returned from morning prayers.

According to eyewitness Safiyanu Haruna, survivors and local residents discovered miners unconscious inside the poorly ventilated tunnels. “It’s heartbreaking to wake up to the news that 37 miners, who had been struggling to make ends meet, have died,” he said.

READ ALSO:

The injured miners were immediately transported to a hospital in Wase town for treatment. Authorities and emergency response teams had not yet arrived at the site when the leak occurred, highlighting the dangers of underground mining in poorly regulated areas.

Funeral prayers for the deceased are currently being held in the community, with the Local Government Area chairman reported to have attended. Security forces have sealed off the mining site to prevent further casualties and aid ongoing investigations.

The tragedy underscores the critical need for improved mining safety regulations, particularly in remote areas where miners often work under hazardous conditions with limited safety protocols. Experts warn that carbon monoxide exposure in mines can be deadly within minutes if ventilation and gas detection measures are inadequate.

Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau

Continue Reading

metro

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.

Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.

READ ALSO:

The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.

Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.

The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.

The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending