metro
How they murdered my Kano-bound passengers in Edo
How they murdered my Kano-bound passengers in Edo
The lone survivor of the tragic lynching of 16 travelers in Uromi, Edo State, has recounted his terrifying ordeal, refuting allegations that the attack was driven by tribal tensions.
The incident occurred in the early hours of Friday when the victims, identified as hunters from Kano State, were traveling from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to Kano for the Eid-el-Fitr celebration. They were reportedly stopped by a local vigilante group in Uromi, leading to the fatal attack.
In a viral video, the truck driver, whose identity remains undisclosed, shared his version of events. He explained that he was transporting goods for the Dangote Group to Obajana, Kogi State, when he encountered the hunters at Elele.
The group requested a ride north, which he willingly offered, unaware of the impending danger.
“I initially refused to give them a ride because it was against my company’s policy. But after driving for about two kilometers, I felt guilty for abandoning them. After all, they are my fellow Northerners from Kano State, so I went back and picked them up,” the driver said.
READ ALSO:
- Adeleke threatens to dethrone monarchs over communal crisis
- ‘Killing of Democracy’ comment: Reno Omokri disagrees with Dele Momodu
- FG to close Independence Bridge in Lagos for repairs from April 1
According to him, the journey was peaceful until they arrived at Uromi, where they were stopped by a vigilante group. The leader of the vigilante allegedly questioned the driver about his cargo and the identity of his passengers. Despite presenting the waybill for the goods, the vigilante commander reportedly expressed suspicion about the hunters, particularly due to their weapons and dogs aboard the truck.
“He said he (Vigilante Leader) didn’t trust them and demanded they come down. As soon as the crowd saw their guns and dogs, they attacked us,” the driver narrated. “The commander told the crowd that we were kidnappers and Boko Haram, and they started beating us mercilessly.”
The driver, alongside two others identified as Haruna, an older man, and a younger man, was reportedly handcuffed by the vigilante commander and taken to a nearby police station. The vigilante informed the police that they had captured suspected kidnappers, leading to their immediate detention.
“By the time he went back to the scene, the mob had already killed 16 people,” the driver revealed, his voice filled with anguish.
He, however, categorically dismissed suggestions that the incident was a tribal clash. “This was not a tribal clash. The vigilante are solely responsible for this attack. They are the ones that caused our people to be murdered in cold blood,” he emphasided.
The tragic event has drawn widespread condemnation nationwide, with calls for a thorough investigation to bring the perpetrators to justice.
How they murdered my Kano-bound passengers in Edo
metro
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) has reportedly acquired about 35 commercial drones, marking a dangerous escalation in insurgent tactics and raising fresh security concerns for Nigeria’s military operations in the north-east and north-west regions.
Security assessments indicate that the drones are largely First-Person View (FPV) quadcopters, a low-cost but highly effective technology increasingly used by non-state armed groups globally. Unlike conventional surveillance drones, FPV systems allow operators to guide drones in real time using video goggles, enabling precise navigation and target selection on the battlefield.
The reported acquisition comes months after air and drone strikes ordered by Donald Trump targeted insurgent positions in Sokoto State on Christmas Day 2025. Although those strikes were intended as a deterrent to militant groups operating along the Nigeria–Niger border, security analysts say insurgents have instead adapted by investing in mobile, hard-to-detect aerial platforms.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
While insurgent groups in Nigeria have previously relied on drones mainly for intelligence gathering and surveillance, recent developments suggest ISWAP is preparing for offensive drone operations. Security experts warn that FPV drones can be modified to carry small explosive payloads and directed to detonate on impact, allowing militants to strike military assets, personnel, and defensive positions with greater accuracy.
Analysts say the use of such drones could enable repeated and sustained attacks on military formations rather than isolated raids. The availability of multiple drones also raises the risk of coordinated or swarm-style attacks, which could overwhelm troops and complicate traditional defensive measures.
Both ISWAP and Boko Haram have increasingly deployed drones alongside ground fighters during assaults on Forward Operating Bases and remote outposts, some of which have resulted in significant losses for government forces. Observers note that this tactical shift mirrors trends seen in the Ukraine war, where low-cost FPV drones have transformed modern combat by neutralising conventional military advantages.
Security commentators argue that Nigeria must urgently strengthen its counter-drone capabilities to maintain battlefield superiority. Recommended measures include greater investment in electronic warfare and signal-jamming systems, enhanced intelligence gathering, improved air-defence coverage for military bases, and expanded deployment of locally developed drone technologies.
Experts also stress the importance of tighter border controls and regional cooperation to disrupt the flow of drone components and technical expertise. They warn that failure to adapt quickly to the emerging drone-enabled insurgency could prolong insecurity across Nigeria’s conflict-affected regions and further strain military resources.
Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks
metro
Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
– Brake Failure Suspected as Governor Orders Immediate Probe
Tragedy struck on Tuesday morning as seven persons lost their lives and two others sustained injuries in a multiple-vehicle crash at the busy Ota Toll Gate along the Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway.
The fatal collision, which occurred during peak traffic hours, reportedly involved a fully loaded trailer suspected to have suffered brake failure before ramming into smaller vehicles, including a commercial tricycle and a mini-bus. Eyewitness accounts described scenes of panic as the out-of-control truck ploughed into vehicles waiting near the toll gate.
Emergency responders from the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), and the Nigeria Police swiftly arrived at the scene to rescue victims and clear the wreckage.
The injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were deposited at a state mortuary.
“The truck was speeding and suddenly lost control. People were shouting and running for safety,” an eyewitness told reporters at the scene.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
In a statement issued hours after the incident, Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and ordered a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the crash. He condemned reckless driving and poor vehicle maintenance, particularly among heavy-duty truck operators.
“This avoidable tragedy underscores the urgent need for strict adherence to traffic regulations and proper vehicle maintenance,” the governor stated.
Motorists experienced heavy gridlock along the expressway as officials worked for several hours to restore normal traffic flow. Authorities have reiterated calls for drivers to exercise caution and ensure their vehicles are roadworthy before embarking on journeys.
The Lagos–Abeokuta corridor, especially around Sango–Ota, has witnessed repeated fatal accidents over the years, raising concerns among residents and commuters about road safety enforcement and infrastructure conditions.
Investigations into the exact cause of Tuesday’s crash are ongoing.
Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
metro
Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
A young woman identified as Mirabel has shared a harrowing account of a near-death experience following an alleged rape attack in her apartment in Lagos, triggering widespread outrage and calls for justice.
In a video posted on TikTok under the handle @mirab351, Mirabel said the incident occurred on Sunday morning after she opened her door, believing it was a neighbour. According to her account, she was overpowered and lost consciousness during the attack.
She later said she regained awareness to find an intruder assaulting her. The assailant allegedly left her injured before fleeing. Mirabel explained that she initially thought the bleeding she noticed afterward was menstrual, until she received disturbing messages from a man she identified as the suspect.
READ ALSO:
- Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
- Maikori Accuses Ex‑Governor El‑Rufai of Persecution Over 2017 Tweet
- Shari’ah Council Defends Kwankwaso, Rejects US “Christian Genocide” Claims
Screenshots shared by the victim show the suspect boasting about the attack and making threats intended to discourage her from seeking justice. The messages, which have circulated widely online, have drawn strong condemnation from the public.
In a follow-up video, Mirabel appeared visibly distressed and disclosed that she attempted to harm herself afterward but was rushed to hospital by a friend and survived. She thanked those who reached out in support and said she needed time to recover before engaging further.
The case has sparked an outpouring of sympathy from Nigerians across social media, with many demanding the immediate arrest and prosecution of the suspect and renewed action against sexual violence. Advocacy groups and citizens are urging law enforcement to ensure accountability and protect survivors.
Mirabel’s story has reignited conversations about women’s safety, survivor support, and the need for swift justice in Nigeria.
If you or someone you know is in danger or struggling after an assault, please seek immediate help from trusted people or local emergency services.
Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
Education3 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News3 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
News15 hours agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News3 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu
-
News11 hours agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road


