Hypertensive man dies as bribe-chasing LASTMAmen seize vehicle - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Hypertensive man dies as bribe-chasing LASTMAmen seize vehicle

Published

on

The family of a Bureau De Change operator, Modibo Usman, has been thrown into mourning after he died from shock following an encounter with two officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority in the Surulere area of Lagos State.

PUNCH Metro gathered that Modibo, who was hypertensive, was being conveyed by his son, Mustapha, to the Foremost Radiology Consultant Hospital on Ogunlana Drive, Surulere, to obtain a test result for his daughter, Ummu, when he had the encounter with the officers.

Mustapha, while speaking to our correspondent on Sunday, said his father also had an appointment with his doctor at the Living Heart Hospital in the Lekki area of the state on the same day.

He said when the two officers stopped him for allegedly disobeying traffic light, his father pleaded that he was on his way for a medical emergency but the officers ignored him.

He alleged that the officers demanded a N50,000 bribe to release the vehicle.

Mustapha said, “My father and I kept pleading with them but the officers refused. My father was even crying and telling them that he had a medical emergency but they said that is what people usually say.

“The two officers ordered us to go to the back seat and they sat at the front and started driving us to the Foremost Radiology Consultant Hospital. My father continued crying that he was in an emergency; they then demanded N50,000 to release us.

“But when we got to the hospital, we quickly rushed to get the test result to show them so we could continue our journey to see his doctor at Lekki but the officers and the vehicle were nowhere to be found when we returned.

“Instantly, my dad suffered a shock and collapsed. I quickly alerted the nurses where we picked my sister’s result and they rushed to attend to him and confirmed him dead.

READ ALSO:

“When I rushed to the LASTMA office to inform the officers that what they did had caused my father’s death, they started saying I could take the vehicle but I left it there and called our relative, Mrs Yosi Yaduma, to inform her about what happened.”

Yaduma said she reported the case at the Area C Command in Surulere, adding that the two officers were arrested and the case transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.

 Lamenting that the bereaved family had been clamouring for justice, Yaduma said Modibo, who was the breadwinner of his family, was survived by two wives and 11 children.

She said, “The incident happened on Friday. Alhaji Modibo was a Bureau De Change operator who was hypertensive. He told the officers that he was going to a hospital, even if he had broken the rule, in cases of emergency, rules can be broken.

“He even pleaded with them that he wanted to get the results of his daughter suffering from Down Syndrome, and from there, he would be going to the Living Heart Hospital in Lekki to see his doctor but the officers demanded a bribe of N50,000.

“The shock of the whole incident made Alhaji Modibo suffer an attack that made him collapse at the front of the hospital. That was how he died.

 “After Mustapha informed me, I told one of the nurses to assist us with an ambulance and they conveyed his corpse to the 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital, Yaba, where he was also confirmed dead and his body deposited in a mortuary.

“Yesterday, the police called to inform me that the two LASTMA officers had been apprehended. Alhaji Madibo has been buried in accordance with Islamic rites but we want justice.”

An official of the facility where Modibo collapsed and died, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “His death was as a result of cardiac arrest. He was vomiting and his condition changed. We called a consultant to resuscitate him but all was to no avail and the patient was pronounced dead. A lot of people witnessed the incident. They only came to pick up a result at our diagnostic centre.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident, adding that investigation was ongoing.

The spokesperson for LASTMA, Olumide Filade, said the victim was not in an emergency at the time of the traffic light violation.

He said, “We are not aware of any case of bribery; it was not an emergency. The driver of the vehicle who happened to be Baba’s (Madibo) son violated the traffic light and the vehicle was impounded.

“We are in possession of a video of the violation and where Baba agreed that the officers should drop them at the Foremost Diagnostics. After dropping Baba and his son, the officers told him to instruct his son to follow them so he could know where the vehicle was, but Baba said his son did not know anywhere in Lagos.

“He said they would come later. But while they were at the Foremost Diagnostics, maybe Baba had a crisis and he passed on. Thereafter, the case was reported at Area C, from where it was transferred to the SCID, Yaba.”

LASTMA has been in the eye of the storm over alleged extortion of motorists through traffic lights.

A recent investigation by PUNCH Metro showed some men of the agency worked in connivance with the police.

The agency had promised to probe officers deployed in the Berger-Isheri area, who were implicated in the investigation by our correspondent.

Three weeks after, the outcome of the probe had yet to be revealed.

metro

Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market

Published

on

Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market

Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market

A devastating fire outbreak on Friday, February 20, 2026, razed at least 50 shops at the Fatima Simra Multi‑Purpose Market in the Dakata area of Kano State, leaving traders and residents in shock. The early morning blaze, which began around 5:40 a.m., rapidly spread across the market, affecting mainly small-scale enterprises involved in oil production, plastic recycling, and nylon processing.

The chairman of the market fire committee, Dauda Haruna Chula, confirmed the incident, noting that the Kano State Fire Service had been alerted and was en route to the scene. “From the preliminary assessment, about 50 shops are already down, and the fire is still ongoing. We did as much as we could to inform the authorities, and I can hear the sound of their fire trucks arriving now,” Chula said.

Traders expressed frustration over what they described as a slow emergency response, which allowed the fire to spread more rapidly. Many are now counting losses and making plans to salvage remaining goods, while others fear losing their entire livelihoods.

READ ALSO:

This latest blaze comes less than a week after a major fire devastated Singer Market in Kano, displacing over 1,000 traders and destroying goods worth billions of naira. Following that disaster, the Federal Government and the APC Governors’ Forum pledged financial support to assist affected traders, highlighting the need for improved fire safety measures in commercial hubs across the state.

Authorities are continuing firefighting operations and have assured traders that investigations are ongoing to determine the cause of the fire, which preliminary reports suggest may have been triggered by electrical faults or unattended cooking equipment. Officials have emphasized the importance of emergency preparedness, fire prevention, and rapid response systems to prevent similar incidents in the future.

Kano State has a history of recurring market fires, raising calls from experts, trade associations, and residents for stricter safety regulations, including proper spacing of stalls, installation of fire hydrants, and training for traders on emergency response.

Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market

Continue Reading

metro

Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack

Published

on

Kebbi State Commissioner of Police, Bello Muhammad Sani,
Kebbi State Commissioner of Police, Bello Muhammad Sani,

Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack

Fresh tension has gripped Utono community in Ngaski Local Government Area, Kebbi State, after suspected terrorists issued a letter demanding ₦100 million from residents and threatening a deadly attack if the ransom is not paid. The development has sparked fear across the community, highlighting the growing insecurity in northwest Nigeria, where armed groups continue to target rural settlements for ransom and other criminal activities.

According to local sources, the threat letter was delivered to community leaders on Thursday, February 17, 2026, warning residents not to dismiss the message. “This is not a joke. We are coming to preach. You must pay us ₦100 million. If you refuse, you will face the consequences and have no one to blame but yourselves. Even if you call soldiers, they cannot stop us,” the letter reportedly read.

READ ALSO:

The group referenced a previous attack on Woro community in Kiama Local Government Area, Kwara State, where several people were killed after residents ignored a similar threat. The reference has amplified panic among Utono residents, many of whom are now developing safety plans and considering temporary evacuation.

A community source, speaking on condition of anonymity due to safety concerns, said the fear is widespread. “People are scared. The mention of what happened in Woro has made the threat more frightening. Many families are already discussing safety plans in case anything happens,” the source said.

Confirming the threat, Kebbi State Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Alhaji Ahmed Idris, stated that security personnel have been deployed to Utono, including air surveillance units, to prevent any potential attack. “The government is not taking the threat lightly,” he added, emphasizing that residents’ safety remains a top priority.

Authorities have assured that intensified operations are ongoing to prevent incursions, protect residents, and deter further attacks. Security analysts warn that paying ransom may encourage more violence, urging communities to remain vigilant and cooperate with law enforcement and military agencies.

The Utono threat is the latest in a series of attacks across northwestern Nigeria, where terrorists and armed gangs frequently target remote communities for extortion, kidnappings, and other criminal acts, underscoring the urgent need for intelligence-led operations and government intervention.

Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack

Continue Reading

metro

ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai
Former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai

ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) on Thursday raided the Abuja residence of former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai as part of an ongoing multi-agency investigation into alleged financial irregularities during his eight-year tenure from 2015 to 2023.

El-Rufai’s Media Adviser, Muyiwa Adekeye, confirmed the operation on his verified X account, stating: “The Aso Drive residence of Malam Nasir @elrufai was today searched by the ICPC.” The former governor has been held by the ICPC since Wednesday night in connection with the probe. Legal representatives, led by Ubong Akpan, condemned the raid, describing it as “unlawful and a clear violation of legal procedures and fundamental rights.” It was not immediately clear if the ICPC seized any documents or other materials during the search.

READ ALSO:

The search at El-Rufai’s Abuja home forms part of a broader multi-agency investigation involving the EFCC, ICPC, and DSS, probing the former governor’s financial dealings and alleged irregularities in public contracts awarded during his administration. Earlier this week, El-Rufai was questioned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and detained for two nights over suspected financial misconduct. Following his release on administrative bail by the EFCC, he was taken into ICPC custody. In addition, the Department of State Services (DSS) reportedly detained him in relation to a separate cybercrime case, involving allegations that he unlawfully intercepted a telephone conversation of Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, which El-Rufai has publicly denied.

The raid has sparked widespread public attention and political reaction. Protests demanding accountability and transparency were staged outside anti-graft agency offices in Abuja, while civil society groups in Kaduna called for thorough investigations into the former governor’s administration. Political supporters argue the investigations are politically motivated, while critics emphasize the importance of following due process and ensuring justice.

The ICPC has not issued an official statement detailing the scope of the raid, as investigations remain ongoing. Authorities insist that all procedures are being carried out in accordance with Nigerian law, and that the probe will continue to uncover any alleged financial misconduct linked to El-Rufai’s tenure.

ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending