I became armed robber after I dropped out in JSS 3 – 16-yr-old who rapes older women confesses - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

I became armed robber after I dropped out in JSS 3 – 16-yr-old who rapes older women confesses

Published

on

–Rapes older women, introduced to robbery by brother

A 16-year-old boy has narrated to an Akure Chief Magistrate’s court how he robbed and raped some older women in the Okitipupa council area of Ondo State.

The accused person who said he became an armed robber after he dropped out of school in JSS 3 was arraigned before the Chief Magistrate’s court for conspiracy, armed robbery and rape.

He told the court how he robbed and raped his victims in Sekere Camp in the council area of the state.

He has since been ordered to be remanded in a juvenile detention centre by the Chief Magistrates’ Court.

The accused person who claimed he worked on his father’s farm allegedly, committed the offences on November 24, 2021, at about 12:30 p.m., at Sekere Camp, Okitipupa.

The State Prosecutor, Oluwasegun Akeredolu told the court that the accused person and others now at large did conspire with others to commit the offences of armed robbery and rape.

He was said to have robbed one Serifat Tijani of N15,000, while armed with a dangerous weapon.

Akeredolu said the accused person also attempted to have unlawful carnal knowledge of Tijani after he had robbed her of her money but did not succeed due to the help of people who ran to the scene to rescue her.

The prosecutor added that the accused person also broke into the house of another victim, Mewo Kolawole and stole clothes belonging to his children.

The offences contravened Sections 410, 390 (9), 6 (b), 1 (2) (a) and (b) 359, 411 and 2 (2) (a)  of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Cap RIl, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

The plea of the accused person was not taken.

The accused person was not represented by any lawyer, told the court that he did not act alone but has a boss whom he delivers stolen items to anytime he goes out for robbery.

READ ALSO:

He said that he had lost his mother and two younger brothers, and since then his father has been the one taking care of him.

According to him “I dropped out from school when I finished my JSS3 examination when my father could no longer sponsor me. I became a street boy. That was how I met one brother in our camp named Ola Igbekoyi who introduced me to armed robbery.”

“I attended  St Breeders primary school Lamidifa along Ode Irele Road, Ondo State. Later I was admitted into Adetola Model College, Idi Mango, Ore, in Ondo State. I left school due to financial constraints. Since then I have been involved in armed robbery,” he hinted.

He confessed that he had been stealing cocoa beans from different farms in Araromi, and was apprehended by the community people on one of the occasions.

According to him,  his father was fined some amount of money: a male goat, and also a lot of alcoholic drinks and he did as they demanded before they could release him.

He fingered Igbekoyi as his boss who taught him how to rob.

“He sent me to rob one woman in August, which I succeeded in by forcefully collecting N3,200 from her, and raped her while I threatened her with a matchet. I gave the money to Ola Igbekoyi, he gave me N1,200 out of the money.

“In November, I went to a farm close to my house, based on the information given to me by my boss. When I got to the farm, I met the woman and greeted her, she asked if I needed money to eat and I answered her by stretching my hand with the hope of collecting the money instead of giving me the money, she took it to her heels.

“I ran after her and she fell down and got injured. She tried to collect the cutlass from me and at the same time asked what I wanted and I told her that I needed her money and she gave me N15,000. And my boss gave me N5,000 from the money.

“I was about to rape the woman when I was arrested ”

According to him, Igbekoyi popularly known as Sheboy was an ex-convict who lured him into the act names who to rob.

Akeredolu urged the court to adjourn the case to enable him to prepare his documents to arraign the accused in the proper court.

The presiding Magistrate, Chief Magistrate Folasade Aduroja in her ruling ordered that the accused person be remanded in the Juvenile Home.

Aduroja has adjourned the matter till February 8, 2022, for his arraignment in family court.

Vanguard

metro

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Published

on

An accident scene
File photo

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

– Brake Failure Suspected as Governor Orders Immediate Probe

Tragedy struck on Tuesday morning as seven persons lost their lives and two others sustained injuries in a multiple-vehicle crash at the busy Ota Toll Gate along the Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway.

The fatal collision, which occurred during peak traffic hours, reportedly involved a fully loaded trailer suspected to have suffered brake failure before ramming into smaller vehicles, including a commercial tricycle and a mini-bus. Eyewitness accounts described scenes of panic as the out-of-control truck ploughed into vehicles waiting near the toll gate.

Emergency responders from the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), and the Nigeria Police swiftly arrived at the scene to rescue victims and clear the wreckage.

The injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were deposited at a state mortuary.

“The truck was speeding and suddenly lost control. People were shouting and running for safety,” an eyewitness told reporters at the scene.

READ ALSO:

In a statement issued hours after the incident, Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and ordered a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the crash. He condemned reckless driving and poor vehicle maintenance, particularly among heavy-duty truck operators.

“This avoidable tragedy underscores the urgent need for strict adherence to traffic regulations and proper vehicle maintenance,” the governor stated.

Motorists experienced heavy gridlock along the expressway as officials worked for several hours to restore normal traffic flow. Authorities have reiterated calls for drivers to exercise caution and ensure their vehicles are roadworthy before embarking on journeys.

The Lagos–Abeokuta corridor, especially around Sango–Ota, has witnessed repeated fatal accidents over the years, raising concerns among residents and commuters about road safety enforcement and infrastructure conditions.

Investigations into the exact cause of Tuesday’s crash are ongoing.

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Published

on

TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel
TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

A young woman identified as Mirabel has shared a harrowing account of a near-death experience following an alleged rape attack in her apartment in Lagos, triggering widespread outrage and calls for justice.

In a video posted on TikTok under the handle @mirab351, Mirabel said the incident occurred on Sunday morning after she opened her door, believing it was a neighbour. According to her account, she was overpowered and lost consciousness during the attack.

She later said she regained awareness to find an intruder assaulting her. The assailant allegedly left her injured before fleeing. Mirabel explained that she initially thought the bleeding she noticed afterward was menstrual, until she received disturbing messages from a man she identified as the suspect.

READ ALSO:

Screenshots shared by the victim show the suspect boasting about the attack and making threats intended to discourage her from seeking justice. The messages, which have circulated widely online, have drawn strong condemnation from the public.

In a follow-up video, Mirabel appeared visibly distressed and disclosed that she attempted to harm herself afterward but was rushed to hospital by a friend and survived. She thanked those who reached out in support and said she needed time to recover before engaging further.

The case has sparked an outpouring of sympathy from Nigerians across social media, with many demanding the immediate arrest and prosecution of the suspect and renewed action against sexual violence. Advocacy groups and citizens are urging law enforcement to ensure accountability and protect survivors.

Mirabel’s story has reignited conversations about women’s safety, survivor support, and the need for swift justice in Nigeria.

If you or someone you know is in danger or struggling after an assault, please seek immediate help from trusted people or local emergency services.

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Published

on

Speaker, House of Reps, Tajudeen Abbas

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Abuja — Tension erupted at the National Assembly on Tuesday as opposition lawmakers staged a dramatic walkout in protest against the approval of manual collation of election results as a backup to electronic transmission.

The controversy unfolded during plenary when a motion seeking to adopt manual collation as a contingency measure in the event of technical failure of electronic transmission systems was presented for consideration. While the majority lawmakers supported the proposal, opposition members strongly objected, arguing that the move could undermine electoral transparency and public confidence in the electoral process.

Heated Debate on the Floor

The debate quickly grew intense as several opposition representatives warned that reintroducing manual collation, even as a backup, could open the door to manipulation and irregularities.

One opposition lawmaker described the decision as “a dangerous step backward,” insisting that Nigeria’s electoral reforms were designed to eliminate the flaws associated with manual processes. According to them, reliance on manual collation in previous elections had been a major source of disputes and litigation.

However, lawmakers from the majority caucus defended the proposal, stating that the backup option was necessary to safeguard the integrity of elections in situations where electronic systems malfunction due to network failure, cyber threats, or logistical challenges.

A ranking member of the majority party argued that “no responsible legislature should ignore the possibility of technical glitches,” stressing that manual collation would only serve as a last resort and not replace electronic transmission.

READ ALSO:

Dramatic Walkout

Following the Speaker’s ruling allowing the motion to proceed to approval by voice vote, opposition lawmakers rose from their seats in protest. Chanting “No to manual manipulation” and “Protect our votes,” they exited the chamber en masse.

The walkout temporarily disrupted proceedings, drawing reactions from observers and legislative aides present in the gallery.

Despite the protest, the remaining lawmakers proceeded to adopt the motion, effectively approving manual collation as a backup mechanism pending further legislative fine-tuning and possible amendments to the electoral framework.

Implications for Electoral Reform

The development is expected to generate significant political debate across party lines and among civil society organizations. Advocacy groups have consistently pushed for full electronic transmission of results to minimize human interference and enhance credibility.

Political analysts say the decision could become a flashpoint ahead of future elections, especially given past controversies surrounding result collation.

As of press time, leaders of the opposition caucus were reportedly preparing a joint press briefing to outline their position and next steps, including the possibility of seeking judicial interpretation if the approval translates into legislative amendments.

Further updates will follow as the situation develops.

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending