I don’t want a second term if it will cause bloodshed – Zamfara governor – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

I don’t want a second term if it will cause bloodshed – Zamfara governor

Published

on

Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara State says he will be contented with only one term in office if the price for his second term is to lose innocent lives of his people.

Matawalle made this pronouncement on Friday at the opening of a one-day security meeting with traditional rulers, the council of Ulama and heads of security personnel in the state at the Government House Gusau.

He said, “I will be contented with a one term in office if the price is to lose innocent lives of our people before I could secure a second term.”

“No leadership is worth it when the price is the blood of innocent people,” he added.

Matawalle maintained that some politicians in the state were all out to ensure that the security arrangements put in place by his administration did not succeed just for their selfish interest.

He said, “With the recent happenings in the state where scores of attacks are carried out in some parts of the state, it is evident that the hands of bad politicians are at play.”

“The state government is doing all it can to maintain peace and order in the state, but some people are obviously more exited when they hear of attacks by bandits.

“In their bid to portray our administration as a failure, they do not care how many lives of our brothers and sisters are wasted.”

He however warned that he would not fold his arms to allow some disgruntled elements play politics with the security of the state.

“As for those who aid and abet insecurity in the state, I say enough is enough. We shall return your wickedness and heartlessness with the wrath you will never envisage,” the governor said.

News

JUST IN: Two commissioners resign in Abia

Published

on

Governor Alex Otti of Abia

JUST IN: Two commissioners resign in Abia

Two commissioners in the cabinet of Governor Alex Otti on Wednesday, July 17, reportedly resigned from their positions.

The commissioners who resigned include Chima Oriaku, Commissioner for Science and Technology, and Prof. Mrs. Monica Ironkwe, Commissioner for Agriculture.

Our correspondent reports that news about the termination began circulating shortly after the State’s Executive Council meeting, presided over by the governor.

While some sources claimed the commissioners were dismissed, others asserted that they voluntarily resigned.

READ ALSO:

At the time of filing this report, there had been no official statement from the governor or the Information Commissioner, Prince Okey Kanu, explaining the circumstances of their departures.

It was also reported that the two commissioners were unaware of the reasons behind their removal.

The development followed the recent dismissal of Dr. Ngozi Okoronkwo, the Commissioner for Health, during a State Executive Council meeting presided over by the governor in Nvosi, Isiala Ngwa South local government area.

Reacting to the news, Ukoha Njoku Ukoha, the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, clarified: “The two commissioners resigned from the Cabinet. No one was sacked. Disregard the trending rumours.”

JUST IN: Two commissioners resign in Abia

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Tinubu launches student loan scheme

Published

on

BREAKING: Tinubu launches student loan scheme

President Bola Tinubu has launched the Nigeria Education Loan Fund (NELFUND), emphasising the importance of education as a vital tool in combating poverty and achieving national development.

Speaking at the official launch of the NELFUND and ceremonial disbursement of funds at the State House in Abuja on Wednesday, July 17, President Tinubu stressed that education is the greatest weapon against poverty, providing vision, development, and hope.

He noted that without education, conquering insecurity and achieving success is impossible, emphasizing that education provides the light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how slow the progress may seem.

Addressing the Board, members, and the management of the Fund present at the launch ceremony, President Tinubu reaffirmed the commitment of his administration to the Renewed Hope Agenda saying democracy is all about inclusiveness.

President Tinubu added that the target of his administration is to build a fair society that is built on successful inclusiveness.

READ ALSO:

“What I believe is that education is the greatest weapon against poverty in any society, without education there is no vision, there is development, and you cannot successfully conquer insecurity.

“Education is that light at the end of the tunnel no matter how sluggish you move, it will give you the light and the hope”.

The President further noted that Nigeria will continue to invest in education to empower the citizens and deploy it as a tool against terrorism, banditry and insecurity.

“We are investing, we don’t want to try ignorance as an alternative, we want education from foundations to the topmost level and I am glad that leadership and its leadership accepted the responsibility.

“There is available here the hope and the genuine commitment, inclusiveness is what democracy is all about.

“Today I am fulfilling one of my greatest campaign agenda, you cannot find your way if you are not well educated, you cannot even fight terrorism and banditry.

“If we have successful inclusive and loan that is necessary for our people to get educated and invest in their own lives we would have built a fair society and a promise that we will earn a banner without stain to our children.

The President also symbolically presented loan cheques to students from each geo-political zone, indicating the beginning of the disbursement of the fund to qualified Nigerian students.

President Tinubu also presented cheques to Vice Chancellors of Bayero University, Kano (BUK), Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), amongst other institutions present.

Disclosing the NELFUND portal’s key metrics from 25th May till date, the Executive Secretary of the NELFUND, Akintunde Sawyerr, said a total number of 164,000 students registered for the loan with a total number of 103,000 of them applied.

READ ALSO:

Sawyerr revealed that a total sum of N32 billion is currently available for disbursement to kick-start the program.

He said NELFUND aims to empower Nigerian youth by providing fair transparent funding and removing financial barriers to educational opportunities and academic pursuits.

Reeling out NELFUND’s progress since the launch, Sawyerr said the Fund got key amendments of the loan act on 3rd April 2024, secured dashboard metrics on May 25th May till date as well as the Prssidial disbursement of funds on 17th July 2024.

Sawyer explained that students apply for two types of loan, one is educational fees which are sent directly to institutions and the other is the student application for upkeep loan, which is the loan that covers a monthly stipend

“Institutions collected cheques for multiple applications also students cannot get stipend unless the fees are been picked by NELFUND”

Recall that the Student Loans (Access to Higher Education) Action, signed into law on 3rd April 2024, is a transformative initiative empowering countless Nigerian students to pursue their educational aspirations.

Present at the launch were the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, Chairman NELFUND Board, Jim Ovia, Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, Minister of Budget& Economic Planning, Abubakar Bagudu, Minister of Education, Mamman Tahiru, Minister of Youths, Jamila Bio Ibrahim, FIRS Chairman, Zach Adedeji, CBN Governor,  Olayemi Cardoso.

Others are, Jamb Registrar, Prof Isiaq Oloyede; Acting Executive Secretary of National Universities Commission (NUC), Chris Mayaiki, amongst many others.

BREAKING: Tinubu launches student loan scheme

The Nation

Continue Reading

News

Edo Assembly kicks, appeals judgement upturning Shaibu’s removal

Published

on

Edo Assembly kicks, appeals judgement upturning Shaibu’s removal

The Edo State House of Assembly has appealed the judgement by Justice J. K. Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, which set aside the impeachment of the state’s ex-deputy governor, Philip Shaibu.

The State Assembly has also filed a stay of execution on the judgment pending appeal.

Earlier today, Justice Omotosho voided Shuaibu’s impeachment as the deputy governor of the state.

Omotosho, while delivering judgment in the suit, ordered that Shaibu be reinstated to office because the state House of Assembly failed to comply with due process in impeaching him.

Shaibu fell out with Governor Godwin Obaseki over his ambition to succeed his boss. Despite Obaseki having his preferred candidate, Asue Ighodalo, Shaibu and nine others contested against Ighodalo, who eventually picked the ticket.

READ ALSO:

After that, the Edo State House of Assembly, had on Monday, April 8, 2024, impeached Shaibu following the adoption of the report of the seven-man investigative panel set up by the State Chief Judge to probe allegations of misconduct against the former deputy governor.

The investigative panel set up the EDHA was headed by Justice S.A. Omonua (retd.) and probed Shaibu on allegations of perjury and leaking of government secrets, ending its sittings with the former deputy governor refusing to appear before it.

Shaibu was impeached by the vote of 18 out of 19 members of the Assembly present at plenary, while one abstained from the headcount and voting process.

Recall that the state governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, had upon the impeachment of Shaibu picked Marvellous Omobayo as his deputy to complete his second tenure in office, which ends on November 11, 2024.

Edo Assembly kicks, appeals judgement upturning Shaibu’s removal

Continue Reading

Trending