I knew Ya'Adua was ill - Obasanjo – Newstrends
Connect with us

Uncategorized

I knew Ya’Adua was ill – Obasanjo

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed he knew the late President Musa Yar’Adua was ill before he supported him to emerge the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2007.

He however said he got medical advice that Yar’Adua, who had a kidney transplant, was fit to act as President.

Yar’Adua, who later won the 2007 presidential election, died in office in May 2010.

Obasanjo, who spoke on Sunday in a virtual interview with academic and historian, Toyin Falola, denied allegation he deliberately put up weak candidates for selfish interests.

He said: “Let me tell you the story of Umaru Yar’adua. I knew he was ill and before I put him forward, I asked for his medical report which he sent to me and I sent it to one of the best doctors of our time and a good friend of mine who died only last year –Professor Akinkugbe.

“I said look at it because it is confidential and he said to me that from this report, this man has had a kidney transplant and it is successful, he is no longer under dialysis.

“And if you have a kidney transplant and it is successful, it is as good as if you didn’t have a kidney transplant at all. I accepted that and Umaru Yar’adua contested within the party and he contested within the country and came up.

“In the process of the campaign, I remember that he had to go for a medical checkup abroad and he was not around for a campaign here in Abeokuta.

“I called him because the rumour was that he had died. I called him on my telephone and put it on speaker. I said, ‘Umaru, are you dead or alive?’ and he said, ‘I am not dead, I am alive’.

“Within a couple of days, he came back and reported that he was checked up and he was well. That was the position of Umaru Yar’adua and if anybody in his right sense will think that what I have done in that position was not right, I leave him in the hands of God.”

metro

Teacher arrested in Osun for allegedly molesting 7-year-old pupil

Published

on

Teacher arrested in Osun for allegedly molesting 7-year-old pupil

22-year-old male school teacher, Rufai Akorede, has been arrested in Ilesa, Osun State, by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for allegedly molesting a seven-year-old female pupil.

The NSCDC stated that Akorede is accused of “thrusting his manhood” into the child’s mouth in a classroom after school.

Following a report, the Osun NSCDC Commandant, Igbalawole Sotiyo, ordered an immediate investigation, which revealed the alleged molestation began in 2024, according to a statement signed by the state command’s public relations officer, Kehinde Adeleke.

According to NSCDC, in his confessional statement, Akorede admitted to the crime, explaining that after school hours, he instructed the victim to close the windows in the classroom before assaulting her.

“The second incident happened on March 20, 2025, after school hours. It was only the teacher and the girl who were in the class, and he pressed her buttocks,” Adeleke said.

READ ALSO:

Akorede was arraigned before the Magistrate Court in Ilesa, Osun State, on March 26, 2025, where he pleaded not guilty to the charges and was remanded in the correctional centre. The trial has been adjourned.

In a separate case, 20-year-old Tiamiyu Samuel was arrested for allegedly having unlawful carnal knowledge of a 12-year-old girl in Gbongan, Osun State.

Adeleke, the NSCDC spokesperson, stated that Samuel had known the victim for three years and, after she rejected his advances, forcibly dragged her into his room on March 23, 2025, with the help of an accomplice.

The suspect allegedly threatened the victim with a cutlass before assaulting her, causing the victim to bleed. He then threatened to kill her if she told anyone.

“The accomplice is currently at large but will be apprehended to face the consequences of his actions. The suspect admitted committing the offence and a medical report confirms that the victim’s hymen was broken,” Adeleke said.

The NSCDC has assured the public that once the investigation is concluded, the suspect will be charged in court.

The Osun NSCDC urged parents and guardians to remain vigilant and safeguard their children from such predatory individuals. The Commandant also warned that those engaging in such heinous acts will face severe consequences

Teacher arrested in Osun for allegedly molesting 7-year-old pupil

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Breaking: Moon sighted in Saudi, UAE, others, Eid-Fitr holds Sunday 

Published

on

Breaking: Moon sighted in Saudi, UAE, others, Eid-Fitr holds Sunday 

Many Arab countries including Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Qatar on Saturday announced the sighting of the Shawwal crescent moon.

Consequently, Sunday March 30 will be observed as Eid-Fitr in the affected countries, according to multiple sources.

The sighting of the Shawwal crescent will officially signal the end of Ramadan and the celebration of Eid-Fitr the following day.

It is however not certain yet if Muslim faithful in Nigeria will end Ramadan fast today (Saturday) and observe tomorrow as Eid-Fitr as the head of the Muslim community, the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, has not made any pronouncement on the issue as of 5pm.

“The crescent moon for the month of Shawwal 1446 was sighted in Saudi Arabia. Therefore, Eid Al Fitr will be celebrated on Sunday, March 30, 2025,” Haramin’s official Facebook page, an official platform for the Muslim community across the world, stated on Saturday.

The UAE’s Moon-sighting Committee announced that Sunday, March 30, 2025, will be Eid Al Fitr, and that Saturday, March 29, is the last day of Ramadan.

Qatar also disclosed in a statement that Eid-Fitr will hold on Sunday.

However, Oman and Iran said fasting would continue on Sunday and Monday fixed for the sallah

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Obasanjo’s position on Rivers emergency rule hypocritical, says Presidency

Published

on

Former President of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo

Obasanjo’s position on Rivers emergency rule hypocritical, says Presidency

The Presidency yesterday chided former President Olusegun Obasanjo for criticising President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over the declaration of emergency rule in Rivers State.

It accused the former leader of hypocrisy and  poor democratic legacy, urging him to purge himself from deceit.

Special Assistant to the President on Social Media, Dada Olusegun, who reflected on Obasanjo’s tenure, highlighted many undemocratic actions of his administration between 1999 and 2007.

“Obasanjo is trying every trick possible to whitewash his bad democratic records by attempting to exonerate himself from blame for how Nigeria’s democracy has fared,” Olusegun said in a post on his verified X handle.

The former president, who spoke at the colloquium marking the 60th birthday of Emeka Ihedioha, had condemned Tinubu’s decision to suspend Governor Siminalayi Fubara, Deputy Governor Ngozi Odu, and members of the House of Assembly, warning that “democracy is dying in Nigeria.”

Olusegun flayed Obasanjo over his remarks, recalling instances where the former leader allegedly undermined democracy.

He cited Obasanjo’s involvement in the controversial removal of opposition governors, interference in legislative processes, and an  attempt to extend his tenure beyond the constitutional limit.

“This is the same OBJ that turned himself into a kingmaker and a demigod in his second term in office. Anybody who disagreed with him became prey,” Olusegun added.

READ ALSO:

The presidential aide recalled Obasanjo’s role in the controversial 2003 elections, where Alliance for Democracy (AD) governors were rigged out of office, leaving only former Governor Tinubu of Lagos State as the last man standing

Olusegun also accused Obasanjo of masterminding unconstitutional impeachments, recalling how former governors of Anambra, Ekiti, Plateau, Oyo, and Bayelsa states were removed through “kangaroo impeachments,” most of which were later overturned by the courts.

He recalled the infamous abduction of former Anambra State Governor Chris Ngige, who was  forced to sign a resignation letter at gunpoint by senior security operatives under Obasanjo’s watch.

“This is the same OBJ who unilaterally declared his Vice President’s seat vacant over a corruption indictment and even declared unnecessary public holidays just to prevent courts from ruling on Atiku’s legal challenge,” Olusegun said.

He also recalled how the former president imposed a state of emergency in Plateau and Ekiti states and suspended the governors and the Houses of  Assembly without directly accusing them of any wrongdoing.

“In Obasanjo’s case, his reason for suspending Joshua Dariye and the Plateau legislature was failure to end violence between Muslim and Christian communities.

“He didn’t accuse the Assembly of anything. Yet, he suspended them. Now he’s criticising Tinubu for suspending those who are the direct actors in the Rivers crisis,” Olusegun fumed.

The presidential aide described Obasanjo as “the grandfather of hypocrisy in Nigeria,” insisting that he lacks the moral standing to lecture the current administration on democracy.

READ ALSO:

But the decision to declare the emergency rule in the Southsouth state gained more support, with the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State hailing the president for saving the state from anarchy.

To resolve the conflict that heralded the governor’s suspension, the people of Ikwerre called for the setting up of a peace committee to reconcile Fubara and his former leader, Nyesom Wike, Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The umbrella body of the Ikwerre ethnic nationality, Ikwerre People’s Congress (IPC) Worldwide,  appealed to President Tinubu to set up a committee to reconcile the governor and the minister.

The group said in a statement by its Chairman, Livingstone Wechie;  Vice-Chairman, Ihunwo Obi-Wali and Secretary-General, Stanley Nworgu, that the committee should be made up of  eminent leaders and stakeholders.

“This is with a view to immediately restore the democratic order in Rivers state in the best interest of Nigeria and for the better legacy of President Bola Tinubu,” it added.

The group expressed concern over said the suspension of democratic structures, saying it had given the state a bad image.

It added:  “ Mr. President, the message you sent has been passed through your intervention but Rivers people must not suffer a shortlived democracy for any reason because we have paid our dues despite this political imbroglio.

“ We believe that Mr. President is motivated by the aspiration of Nigerians on this matter and that he is committed to take steps to solve than escalate the matter. It is doubtless that we did not bargain for this unfortunate development and the innocent populace in Rivers should not be punished for it as in this circumstance.

“Whereas as a people we are unhappy with the unwarranted political feud among the two sides, Ikwerre people are worried about the false image now created about our dear state which has now led to serious capital flights, fears of uncertainty among citizens, loss of investors confidence among others.

“Rivers people are very desperate to have their democratic rights restored so they can enjoy the liberty of the democracy the voted for that should be accountable to the masses. All we want is a government we can call our own”.

 

Obasanjo’s position on Rivers emergency rule hypocritical, says Presidency

Continue Reading

Trending