I served my guardian meal mixed with rat poison so as to return to my biological mother —SSS1 student - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

I served my guardian meal mixed with rat poison so as to return to my biological mother —SSS1 student

Published

on

An 18-year-old SSS1 student, Tope, who allegedly attempted to kill her guardian by lacing her food with rat poison, has said she wanted to get rid of her in order to have an opportunity to go and live with her biological mother.

The desire, she said, was in spite of the good treatment she was getting from her benefactor in terms of feeding, clothing and general welfare.

Tope was arrested by operatives of the Ogun State Police Command for attempting to kill her guardian, Mrs. Esther Bada by poisoning her food.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, who confirmed the arrest of the teenager, said that it was sequel to a complain by the victim who told the police that she felt a sharp pain in her stomach after eating the food made for her and served by Tope.

The victim stated further that the severity of the pain made her to call the teenager to eat the remaining food, which she refused to do, raising her suspicion.

Nigerian Tribune learnt that the victim was rushed to Owode Egba General Hospital, from where she was referred to Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta for proper medical treatment.

READ ALSO:

“When interrogated, the suspect initially denied, leading to her being transferred to homicide section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department.

“While there, she made a confessional statement that she actually added rat poison substance to the victim’s food,” the PPRO said.

It was learnt that Tope started living with her guardian who was her class teacher then after the death of her father
Being in Primary Three when she joined her benefactor, Tope was said to have been on the woman’s bill for all her needs, including her education since then.

In an interview, the suspect confirmed the attempt she made to kill her benefactor, speaking on how she made Semovita and stew for her and added rat poison to the soup to get rid of her.

“I poisoned the food of the person I am living with because she didn’t allow me to go to my mother. She was my class teacher in primary school. I started living with her when I was 11 years old and I didn’t know the reason why my mother made me to be living with her. The teacher was not maltreating me but I just wished to go to my mother.

“Since the time I started staying with her, I have not set my eyes on my mother. And my guardian would not allow me to talk to my mother on phone. My mother has remarried and has raised children

READ ALSO:

“The guardian also has children who are on their own but still come and visit her. I’m the only one living with her and I don’t know the reason why she didn’t allow me to go to my mother. We live in Owode Egba while my mother is living in Abeokuta.”

On how she carried out the act, Tope stated: “My guardian was the one who bought the poison to kill rats in the house. I was the one in charge of food preparation and the thought just came to my mind, so I put the rat poison into her plate of soup.

“When she finished eating, she called me from the room that she was having stomach pain. She called her church members on phone and they came to take her to the hospital. When they got there, they did test for her and found out that it was poison.

When we got home back, my guardian’s sister asked me about how I did it. Initially I denied, but later confessed.”

The PPRO said that the state Commissioner of Police, LanreBankole had directed that the suspect be charged to court at the completion of investigations.
Tribune

metro

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Published

on

Mercy Johnson-Okojie
Mercy Johnson-Okojie

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.

The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.

According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.

READ ALSO:

Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.

Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.

The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.

Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Continue Reading

metro

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Published

on

Nigerian military troop
Nigerian military troop

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.

Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.

Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.

READ ALSO:

Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.

The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.

In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.

Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.

Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Published

on

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

 

The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.

The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.

In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.

“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.

Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.

The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.

Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.

During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.

According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.

Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.

She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.

As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending