Connect with us

metro

I’m Now Left With Nobody – Husband Of Woman Killed With 4 Kids By IPOB

Published

on

pregnant woman killed along with her four children

The husband of the pregnant woman killed along with her four children by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Jubril Ahmed, said he is still in trauma.

Jubril who works as a security guard in Anambra State told Daily Trust that his wife was nine months pregnant and the family was expecting a new baby within the week when they were killed.

He said, “They were coming back home after she visited her sister who was living in the nearby town. She and the four children were all wearing hijabs; that was why the gunmen targeted them.

“As I’m talking to you, I’m in the process of recovering their corpses. The police have given me some documents which I will use to collect the corpses. I’m in the mortuary now, they are demanding N30, 000 from me before they will release the corpses of my family.

“My hope is to take the corpses to Ganye Local Government Area in Adamawa State and bury them because the cemetery the Arewa community is using here is already filled.

Jibril gave the name of his late wife as Harira Jibril, 32, and those of the four children as Fatima, 9; Khadijah, 7; Hadiza, 5; and Zaituna, 2.

“I’m now left with nobody; they have wiped out my entire family. I am so worried and in trauma, there is a need for the government to do something,” Jibril said.

The leader of the Hausa Community in Orunba South, Sarki Kabiru Bakari, told Daily Trust that they later recovered the corpses of the victims Tuesday evening.

He, however, said the plans to take them to their hometown in Adamawa for burial had been cancelled because the corpses were not taken care of in the mortuary, and could not withstand the travel to the North.

“We have now decided to bury them in Awka Wednesday (today). The mortuary attendant did not treat the corpses, no preservation measure was done; hence we cannot travel with the corpses as they have already started decomposing. We have no other option than to take them to Awka and bury them there,” he said.

READ ALSO:

Bakari added that the security personnel had been deployed in the area and that the Anambra State police commissioner has visited them and assured them of swinging into action.

“But after we bury the victims, we will all relocate to our hometown in the North; we are no longer safe here. The husband of the woman will also relocate back to Adamawa as soon as he buried his family; he is working here as a security guard,” he said.

ACF, NEF condemns killings

The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) and the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) have condemned the killing of northerners in the South East by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

While the NEF urged the government to take decisive actions to end the killings, the ACF called on the government to pay attention to security.

The NEF Director of Publicity and Advocacy, Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, said northerners and even easterners must be protected from the activities of IPOB.

He called on the government to take decisive steps to end the killings and the targeting of northerners.

“The events in the south East particularly the events in recent days are tragic and very dangerous. There is a lot of anger in the land as there appears to be an attempt to provoke some local communities as well as some parts of Nigeria. Our position is that those with the responsibility to stop this must stop it now.

“We are appealing to everybody to remain calm and not to take the laws into their hands but we are demanding that northerners must be protected same way that we are demanding that easterners must be protected from the activities of these people who are killing.

“There is no excuse for failure to stop what IPOB is doing and we hope that in the next day or two, we will see decisive action on the part of governments, on the part of governors, and on the part of northern leaders and the elite to speak up and stop what is going on there, the targeting of northerners in the southeast must stop. The killings of even south easterners by IPOB must stop; we cannot have a country like this.”

The Secretary-General of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), Murtala Aliyu, said it was important for the government to bring issues of insecurity to the forefront, secure the country, secure the south East from IPOB and secure the North from bandits and all other threats.

He said, “It is important that government pay attention to security more than any other thing today. ACF is worried like every Nigerian over the killings in Anambra State. Our main worry is the general situation in the south East. Our people, the northerners are also victims, but even the other Nigerians that are living there are not safe, especially even the Igbo themselves.

“The important thing is to look at the whole issue holistically beyond regional or sectarian issues but look at the security of the country. It is quite unfortunate that today, in Nigeria, Nigerians are not safe wherever they are.

“Our own take is that government must take this seriously, a lot of energy is spent on the electioneering, yes, the election is necessary, bringing a new government is necessary but we think that before this government leaves, they must do something about the insecurity otherwise, even election will be impossible in some locations.”

READ ALSO:

CAN condemns killing

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Kaduna State chapter, has condemned the murder of the pregnant woman and her children.

Describing it as barbaric, the association said it was unfortunate that people no longer value life in the country.

The CAN chairman in Kaduna State, Rev. Joseph John Hayap, in a statement titled, ‘The expansion of evil versus the silence of godly people in Nigeria,’ lamented how evil had taken over Nigeria on the ground of religion, region, ethnicity and other differences.

The association urged the federal government to go after the murderers and all others who have killed any Nigeria from any region or of any identity.

“Until our government and law enforcement agencies go after all criminals and murderers and justice is seen to have been done on all murderers, this evil will not stop and the murderers will not see their crime as evil but instead, they will smartly make us fight amongst ourselves and pay less attention to their crime.”

Arewa youths challenge Soludo to act

Also speaking on the issue, the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF) in a statement by its National President, Alhaji Yerima Shettima, yesterday said the killings of northerners in the South East presupposed an ethnic cleansing agenda.

It urged governors of the region to take urgent steps to “end the killing of innocent northerners or face the legal consequences of their inaction.”

Rising from its emergency meeting in Kaduna, the AYCF said the murder of northerners working or trading in the South East at the slightest opportunity was an unacceptable act of undue provocation.

The group said it had expected Governor Charles Soludo of Anambra to use his exposure in governance and management to tackle the killings, but seemed to have been a ‘disappointment’.

The statement said, “The fact that the governors of the South East are the chief security officers of their states but do nothing to stop the unprovoked killing of northerners presupposes an ethnic cleansing agenda and we condemn it, in whatever guise – IPOB attack or ESN.

“The killing of a mother and the baby she cuddled as well as the Christian Aircraft Engineer of northern extraction means the lives of our own people are no longer valued in the South East, where IPOB, ESN, and so-called unknown gunmen are doing as they please as non-state actors, unhindered.

“Silence of these governors, despite the brutal attacks on our sons and daughters in the South East must be stopped now and we want to sound our note of warning, that no Nigerian has the monopoly of violence and that northerners’ respect for the rule of law should never be taken as a weakness.”

Northerners not targeted for killings in Anambra, says Soludo

But reacting, Governor Soludo denied that the coordinated killings were targeted at northerners in the state, saying it is a general case of insecurity affecting everybody.

READ ALSO:

He said that the Anambra people had suffered more casualties in the ongoing killings in the state than any other.

The governor, in a statement released by his Press Secretary, Christian Aburime, said the story that northerners were the target was capable of inciting violence in the country.

Soludo said, “While it is true that there is general insecurity across the country, there is no targeted religious or ethnic killing in Anambra State. As a matter of fact, the Anambra indigenes have suffered more casualties as a result of the unfortunate killings.

He added, “The report, therefore, is totally unacceptable and inimical to the unity and progress of the nation. The government of Anambra State hereby states that the report is not only sensational but misleading and should be immediately retracted to reflect the real situation on the ground.”

The governor stressed that Anambra indigenes, the northerners and other people from other parts of the country had lived and done business together peacefully because of shared common values.

He assured of continuous efforts to work for the good and progress of all and sundry in the state.

Police reassure Hausa community of protection

Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Echeng E. Echeng, yesterday visited the Hausa community in the state and reassured them of their safety.

The CP in a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, DSP Ikenga Tochukwu, said the investigation had begun, adding that policemen had been deployed in strategic places in the state.

DAILY TRUST

metro

Brazilian Returnee Arrested With Cocaine In Private Part, NDLEA Seizes London-Bound Consignment

Published

on

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a Brazilian returnee, Uche Benson Igwedum
Igwedum was nabbed at the arrival hall of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja Lagos with pellets of cocaine concealed in his private part, NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi said.
The NDLEA spokesman in a statement on Sunday noted that Igwedum was nabbed at the Lagos airport on Monday 20th June upon his arrival on Ethiopian Airlines from Sao Paulo, Brazil via Addis Ababa.
“Preliminary investigations reveal the suspect had swallowed 50 wraps of cocaine before departing Brazil and excreted 48 pellets in Addis Ababa where he handed them over to another person,” the statement read.
“He, however, claimed he was unable to excrete the remaining two wraps at the hotel room in Addis Ababa before boarding his flight but later excreted them in the aircraft restroom during the flight from Ethiopia to Lagos.”
Similarly, NDLEA operatives apprehended a drug kingpin, Onyekachi Chukwuma MacDonald, after three weeks of painstaking investigation and tracking.
READ ALSO:
He is accused of being behind attempts to export 40 parcels of Methamphetamine popularly called Mkpuru Mmiri locally to London, United Kingdom through the NAHCO export shed of the Lagos airport.
MacDonald was arrested at Manacola Estate, Alakuko area of Lagos at the weekend, three weeks after his Mkpuru Mmiri consignment weighing 2.05 kilograms was intercepted at the airport and his freight agent, Peter Christopher Anikan arrested on 7th June.
“During his interview, the suspect said he’s from Ahiazu, Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo state and had lived in Dubai, UAE for 10 years before returning to Nigeria in 2019.
“He stated that after his return to Nigeria, he opened a phone accessories shop in Sango Otta, Ogun State but the business collapsed. He then started sending cigarettes to London and decided to conceal the illicit drug in the consignment after advice from a friend.
“Closely related is the seizure of another consignment of 2kg Mkpuru Mmiri at a courier house in Owerri, Imo state. The cargo seized on Wednesday 22nd June had ankara and lace fabrics in which two cylindrical cellophanes containing the drug heading to Hong Kong were concealed,” the statement added.
Also at the Lagos airport, NDLEA operatives on Friday 24th June intercepted 500,000 tablets of Tramadol 225mg packed in 10 cartons and labelled Tramaking imported from Karachi, Pakistan on Emirates Airline. The consignment weighing 407.60kg was seized during a joint examination with Customs and NAFDAC officials.
The same day, a Dubai, UAE-bound passenger, Alegbeleye Taiwo was arrested at the departure hall of the MMIA with 40 ampoules of pentazocine injection. The 21-year-old suspect claims he’s from Osun state.
Meanwhile, two kingpins behind the importation of two recent drug consignments from Canada concealed in vehicle containers through the Tincan seaport in Apapa, Lagos have been arrested by NDLEA operatives.
One of them, Gboyega Ayoola Elegbeji was arrested at his house, 14 Bakare Street, Idi Araba, Lagos on Wednesday 22nd June, for importing a 40ft container TRHU7874497 containing 33 parcels of cannabis indica (Colorado) weighing16.5kg.
The second suspect, Sunday Joe Oyebola, (aka Otunba) was arrested on Thursday 23rd June. He’s linked to the importation of a 40ft container MEDU4389887 containing four vehicles used to conceal 290 parcels weighing 145kg cannabis indica (Colorado) from Montreal, Canada. He had been on the run since March and had in the course of the investigation attempted to bribe officers with N10million to influence the case.
In his response, NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd) commended the officers and men of the MMIA, Tincan, and Imo state Commands of the Agency for the drug seizures and arrests, especially of those who thought they could evade the long arm of the law. He encouraged them and their compatriots across other formations to intensify their efforts toward achieving set goals.
HERALD
Continue Reading

metro

Bauchi man lures teenager to farm, plucks out eyes for ritual

Published

on

The Bauchi State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of a suspected ritualist, Isaac Ezekiel, for allegedly plucking the eyes of a 16-year-old boy, Uzairu Salisu.

Two accomplices, Nensok Bawa, 38, and Yohana Luka, aka Doctor Samu, 52, were also arrested in connection with the crime, which happened at Yelwa community, in the Bauchi area of the state.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident happened around 9am on June 24 when Ezekiel lured Salisu to do a casual job for him on a farm in the community.

Salisu was said to be doing the job when the suspect allegedly used a wire to strangulate him till he lost consciousness.

Afterwards, the 32-year-old reportedly used a knife to pluck out the two eyes of the minor and abandoned him on the farm.

READ ALSO:

The ward head, Mohammed Lawal, who was among the people who found the minor writhing in pain, alerted the police to the incident.

The victim was said to have identified Ezekiel as the culprit, leading to his arrest.

In a statement on Monday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ahmed Wakil, said Ezekiel and his accomplices had been arrested, adding that the victim’s eyeballs were also recovered.

He said, “Sequel to the case of a suspected ritualist who plucked the eyes of a minor, the suspect, Isaac Ezekiel, 32, of Rafin Zurfi, Yelwa, Bauchi metropolitan, has been arrested, and he voluntarily confessed to the crime.

“A prompt search of his house by the police led to the recovery of Uzairu Salisu’s eyeballs. Exhibits recovered from the suspect are the two human eyeballs in a calabash, the cable wire used in perpetrating the heinous act and a travelling bag containing some native medicine.”

Noting that Bawa and Luka connived with Ezekiel to perpetrate the crime, the PPRO said all the suspects would be prosecuted at the completion of investigation.

Continue Reading

metro

Make Judicial Reform Your First Task, NBA President Urges Acting CJN Ariwoola

Published

on

Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola
The President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Olumide Akpata, has called on the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, to reform the nation’s judiciary and restore public confidence in the third arm of government.
Mr Akpata made the call on Monday in a statement while reacting to the resignation of the former CJN, Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad.
He reiterated the need for urgent reforms in the judiciary, urging the incoming chief justice to make judicial reform and the restoration of public confidence in the judiciary his first task upon assuming office.
The NBA president pledged the readiness of the Bar to work together with Justice Ariwoola in cleansing “the Augean stable and addressing the ills that have continued to plague not just the judiciary but the entire legal profession”.
READ ALSO:
He also thanked the outgone chief justice for the cordial working relationship between the bar and the bench during his tenure and wished him a quick recovery and well-deserved peaceful retirement.
“It is, however, impossible to consider his lordship’s retirement in isolation of the recent unprecedented developments at the Supreme Court where 14 justices of the court censured the outgone Chief Justice of Nigeria over his lordship’s handling of their welfare and related issues,” said Akpata.
President Muhammadu Buhari had sworn in Justice Ariwoola to replace Justice Muhammad who resigned as the CJN on Sunday night on grounds of ill-health.
News of Muhammad’s resignation broke barely a week after 14 justices of the Supreme Court wrote to him to lament the dilapidated state of affairs in the apex court.
In a leaked letter, the justices alleged that Justice Muhammad failed to address the issues raised despite drawing his attention to them, among other claims.
But these allegations were denied by an aide to the former CJN.
Continue Reading

Trending