metro
Invite Fani-Kayode to explain coup allegation, Atiku tells DSS, police, others
Presidential candidate of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has called on the Department of State Services (DSS), the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies to invite Femi Fani-Kayode to explain his allegations and insinuations of an attempted coup being planned by Atiku and top generals.
Special Assistant, Public Communications to Atiku, Phrank Shaibu, said this in a statement, yesterday, while reacting to a tweet by the Director of Special Projects and New media of the Tinubu/Shettima Presidential Campaign Council, Fani-Kayode, that Atiku met with top army generals with a possible plan to scuttling the election or perpetrating a coup, an offence which attracts the death penalty.
Shaibu said: “Ordinarily, we wouldn’t have bothered responding to Fani-Kayode who has over the years built a reputation of being an inveterate liar so much so that he was even publicly blacklisted by the Nigeria Union of Journalists after his disgraceful outburst at a journalist.
“However, allegations and insinuations of a coup should not be taken lightly given the fact that it is treason, an offence that carries the death penalty. While commending the Nigerian military for effectively rubbishing Fani-Kayode’s barefaced lie, we call on security agencies to invite him to shed more light on the allegations.”
Shaibu described Fani-Kayode’s attempt to recant as belated, adding that the allegations are too grave to be ignored.
READ ALSO:
- Pregnant woman dies in Kaduna over naira scarcity
- CBN likely to pump more new naira notes circulation today
- Kano Labour Party (LP) governorship candidate, Bashir Ishaq Bashir joins APC
He said: “Fani-Kayode cannot recant. We refuse to accept that. He who comes to equity must come with clean hands. He who comes to the Lord must come with contrition. Contrition requires remorse and confession. If Fani-Kayode wants Nigerians to take him serious, it is his confession that he lied or his provision of proof that he did not.
“This man, who has vilified many people through his lies, wants to get acceptance without doing penance for an act of wickedness motivated by finance.”
Shaibu said when the late deputy Central Bank of Nigeria governor, Obadiah Mailafia, made allegations that a serving governor was a Boko Haram commander, he was invited five times by the DSS and the police until he had to run to court.
He said Fani-Kayode must not be given preferential treatment because he works for the ruling party.
“The late Mailafia was invited more than five times by the DSS and the police for saying a serving governor was a Boko Haram commander. Fani-Kayode has also made an allegation that borders on security and must thus be invited to expiate as failure to do so will be partisanship,” Shaibu said.
He said Fani-Kayode was known by all Nigerians to be a cantankerous and unscrupulous individual who has been unable to shake off allegations of substance abuse levelled against him by the All Progressives Congress (APC) in a statement signed by Lai Mohammed on March 2, 2015.
He said: “In a statement on March 2, 2015, the then APC national publicity secretary, Lai Mohammed (now information minister), said Fani-Kayode may have been ‘unhinged, perhaps as a result of a relapse into an unhealthy lifestyle of substance abuse’.
“Today, Fani-Kayode has chosen to be the spokesman for Bola Ahmed Tinubu, a man who American authorities accused of laundering millions of dollars for drug kingpins and was forced to forfeit $460,000. Indeed, Fani-Kayode and Tinubu’s new found love is understandable because as the saying goes, show me your friend and I will tell you who you are.”
Shaibu said it was ironic that Fani-Kayode had been missing his corruption trial before the Federal High Court in Lagos, claiming that he is ill and yet continues to play an active role in Tinubu’s campaign.
READ ALSO:
- Pregnant woman dies in Kaduna over naira scarcity
- CBN likely to pump more new naira notes into circulation today
- Kano Labour Party (LP) governorship candidate, Bashir Ishaq Bashir joins APC
“Fani-Kayode is currently facing corruption charges to the tune of N4.9 billion before Justice Abike Fadipe at the Federal High Court in Lagos. For several months, he refused to show up in court but went on to forge a medical report of Kubwa General Hospital, claiming to be ill only for the hospital to deny ever issuing the report.
“This inveterate and ineradicable liar is the same person that Tinubu decided to appoint as his image maker. What a shame.”
Shaibu asked Nigerians to remember that Fani-Kayode remains the biggest traducer of the APC until last year.
Shaibu said: “Nigerians must not forget that it was Fani-Kayode that gave the APC the nickname Almajiri Peoples Congress. This is a man that said he would rather die than join the APC, describing the ruling party as a bloodthirsty, blood-lusting, accursed political association of Boko Haramists, Fulani herdsmen, genocidal maniacs, ethnic cleansers, mass murderers, ethnic supremacists, religious bigots, cow-lovers and corrupt treasury looters that have brought nothing but death, division, misery, poverty, incompetence, shame and destruction to our nation and our people will burn in hell forever.”
He called on Nigerians not to forget that it was Fani-Kayode that had been demonising northerners, encouraging separatists and inciting South West agitators for the last seven years.
“Fani-Kayode has never believed in the unity and prosperity of Nigerians. In a bid to hold the government to ransom, he became a spokesman for Indigenous People of Biafra, following Nnamdi Kanu all over the place in order to gain relevance. From there, he jumped to Sunday Igboho whom he was encouraging to attack and kill northerners.
“After he was called to the dinner table by the APC, he suddenly became interested in nation building and became the de facto campaign manager of Yahaya Bello and then moved over to Senate President Ahmad Lawan before settling for Tinubu. For Fani-Kayode, it is ‘anywhere belle face’.”
Shaibu noted that when President Muhammadu Buhari’s only surviving son, Yusuf, suffered a motorbike accident in December 2017, every Nigerian regardless of religion and political affiliation prayed for his speedy recovery but this was not the case with Fani-Kayode.
“Rather than act like a normal human being, these were the words Fani-Kayode had to utter when the President’s only son was struggling for his life: God told Pharaoh to let my people go. Pharaoh asked who He was? God told him ‘I am the I Am, that I Am’ and sent signs of His awesome power. It cost Pharaoh both his own life and that of his son.”SUN
metro
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.
The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.
According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.
READ ALSO:
- Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.
Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.
The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.
Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
metro
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.
Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.
Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.
READ ALSO:
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
- Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.
The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.
In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.
Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.
Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
metro
Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.
The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.
In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.
“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.
Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.
The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.
Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.
During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.
According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.
Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.
She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.
As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro2 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News1 day agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health1 day agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
metro2 days agoTroops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations


