metro
Italy-based woman’s ex-husband sets her house ablaze in Edo (video)
Italy-based woman’s ex-husband sets her house ablaze in Edo (video)
A 54-year-old Italy-based businesswoman, Tina Uyi, escaped death by whiskers in the wee hours of New Year’s Day after her ex-husband, Osaro Ahunwan, 55, allegedly set her house ablaze in Edo State.
The incident occurred at Iduomwina Street, Off Tipper Road, in Isihor community, Benin city.
Tina sustained third-degree burns in the incident and is currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed private hospital in Benin city.
The victim was said to have her travel documents and lost a huge sum of money both in local and foreign currencies including packages from her friends in Italy to their loved ones in Nigeria to the inferno.
According to an eyewitness account, Tina who returned to Nigeria from her base in Italy on December 31, 2024, heard a loud bang on her window while coming out from the bathroom

Tina Uyi
The eyewitness revealed that upon inquiry, Tina discovered it was her estranged husband, Osaro who allegedly banged the window, demanding entry into her apartment.
She was said to have allegedly refused to allow her ex-husband into her apartment, claiming that their relationship had ended as her family had returned her bride price since April 2024.
READ ALSO:
- Indonesian ambassador to Nigeria in alleged sex scandal
- National mourning after mass shooting in Montenegro
- Tinubu: Governors most important link to Nigeria’s development
Osaro was said to have been infuriated by Tina”s refusal to allow him into her house and allegedly threatened to burn down her apartment and harm its occupants
“Despite Tina’s plea for him to leave the promises, Osaro reportedly shattered the glass windows, doused the apartment with Petrol, and set it on fire through the help of a lighter and fuel, leaving the entire apartment completely razed.
“The inferno quickly engulfed the building, but neighbours intervened and successfully rescued Tina’s elderly parents (who are nonagenarians) from the flames,” the eyewitness narrated.
“It took the frantic efforts of men of the Edo State Fire Service to put out the flames that wreaked havoc before their arrival”, the source said.
Tina, who spoke to the Nigerian Tribune from her hospital bed, narrated that sometime in 2023, Osaro had allegedly threatened to kill her and himself as well.
“Osaro destroyed my Lexus(330) Jeep when we had a misunderstanding. He likes too much control and is very suspicious; even when I am out shopping and he calls, as soon as he hears a male’s voice, he abuses me and calls me names,” she narrated.
READ ALSO:
- Georgia judge found dead in courtroom, suicide suspected
- This is my worst year, S’Eagles keeper Nwabali says, announcing mother’s death after father passing
- No plans to address hunger, unemployment in Tinubu’s New Year message – PDP
“So because of his violent and overbearing character, I decided to quit the marriage that lasted less than 2 years”
It was gathered that the Police in Ekiadolor have arrested the suspect, and his accomplice, Odaro Ovia Robo (Tina’s elder brother), over the incident.
According to the publication, during interrogation, Osaro confessed that Tina’s elder brother, Odaro Oviarobo, popularly known as “OD,” provided him with detailed information about his sister’s (Tina) return itinerary.
He was said to have admitted that he paid Odaro N5,000 (Five Thousand Naira) for information and revealed that he had hidden in Odaro’s apartment with the container of petrol.
The suspect further claimed that the lighter used to ignite the fire was also supplied by Odaro.
Sources disclosed that Odaro harboured grievances against his sister, accusing her of withholding financial assistance despite constructing a hotel.
It was further gathered that Tina had previously sponsored Odaro’s trip abroad in 2003, but he returned to Nigeria voluntarily after 10 years, leaving behind his partner and a baby girl.
Since his return, he has reportedly been unemployed and reliant on Tina for financial support.
The spokesperson of the Edo State Command, SP Moses Yamu, confirmed the incident, adding that both Osaro and Odaro remain in police custody as investigation continues.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=619977230686395
Italy-based woman’s ex-husband sets her house ablaze in Edo (video)
![]()
metro
Army Arrests Four Suspected Terrorists, Collaborators in Kogi, Kwara Operations
Army Arrests Four Suspected Terrorists, Collaborators in Kogi, Kwara Operations
Troops of the Nigerian Army have arrested four suspected terrorists and collaborators during separate intelligence-led security operations carried out in Kogi and Kwara states as part of ongoing efforts to curb criminal activities and strengthen security across vulnerable communities in the North-Central region.
According to security sources, two suspects were arrested in Kogi State by troops of the 12 Brigade working in collaboration with local vigilantes during a fighting patrol operation in Ajaokuta Local Government Area.
The operation reportedly took place around 9:00 a.m. on May 19 along the Eganyi–Atabatam–Epiri–Ebatoto–Idebe axis following sustained surveillance and intelligence gathering targeting suspected criminal movements within the area.
During the coordinated patrol, troops apprehended the suspects and recovered one motorcycle, a machete and a mobile phone believed to be linked to their activities.
Security officials said the suspects and recovered items were immediately handed over to the Nigeria Police Force for further investigation and possible prosecution.
Military sources disclosed that the operation forms part of intensified clearance patrols being conducted around forest corridors and remote communities considered vulnerable to criminal infiltration and armed movements.
In a separate operation in Kwara State, troops of the 22 Brigade arrested two suspected collaborators linked to terrorist activities during an intelligence-driven mission in Edu Local Government Area.
The suspects were intercepted around 11:00 a.m. on May 18 by troops stationed at Patrol Base Zambufu following intelligence reports concerning the suspected movement of arms and weapons within the area.
READ ALSO:
- Putin Discusses Iran Uranium Storage Plan With Xi in Beijing
- Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud
- BREAKING: JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Review
During preliminary interrogation, the suspects allegedly claimed they were invited by police operatives to assist in locating a suspected terrorist hideout.
They also alleged that they witnessed individuals believed to be police officers transporting weapons to an undisclosed location.
Security authorities, however, stressed that the claims remain under active investigation and have not been independently verified.
The suspects are currently in military custody undergoing profiling and further interrogation as security agencies work to establish possible links to arms trafficking networks, terrorist logistics operations and other criminal syndicates operating within the region.
The Nigerian Army said the arrests were part of ongoing counterterrorism and anti-banditry operations aimed at dismantling criminal cells, disrupting arms supply routes and preventing the expansion of terrorist activities into North-Central states.
Kogi and Kwara states have increasingly faced security concerns in recent years due to the activities of kidnappers, armed gangs and suspected terrorist elements exploiting forested border communities connecting Niger, Kogi, Kwara and parts of the South-West.
Security analysts have repeatedly warned about attempts by armed groups to establish operational routes across the North-Central corridor due to its strategic geographic location.
Military authorities reiterated their commitment to sustaining intelligence-led offensives and urged residents to continue supporting security agencies with timely and credible information capable of aiding ongoing operations.
Army Arrests Four Suspected Terrorists, Collaborators in Kogi, Kwara Operations
![]()
metro
Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud
Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud
The Kaduna Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has secured the conviction and sentencing of two former bank officials over separate financial fraud cases involving about ₦7.8 million.
The convicts, Obadofin Daniel Bamise and Hadiza Oyiza Yakubu, were sentenced to seven years imprisonment each by Justice A.A. Bello of the Kaduna State High Court sitting in Kaduna after they were found guilty on separate one-count charges bordering on fraud.
The EFCC disclosed this in a statement, noting that the convictions followed investigations and prosecution efforts by its Kaduna Zonal Directorate, which uncovered acts of banking fraud involving the handling and diversion of funds.
According to the anti-graft agency, the offences committed by the former bank employees involved fraudulent activities linked to their official duties in the financial institution, leading to losses estimated at about ₦7.8 million.
READ ALSO:
- BREAKING: JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results After Malpractice Review
- BREAKING: Rivers Governorship Race Takes New Turn As Fubara Emerges Under NDC
- VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel
Although full details of the transactions were not publicly disclosed, the EFCC said the court was satisfied that the prosecution had established a strong case beyond reasonable doubt against the defendants.
The court subsequently convicted both defendants on separate counts and handed down seven-year prison sentences each.
Delivering judgment, Justice A.A. Bello held that the prosecution had successfully proven its case, leading to the conviction under applicable laws on financial crimes and fraud in Nigeria.
The ruling reinforces judicial support for the EFCC’s ongoing anti-corruption drive, particularly in cases involving abuse of office, breach of trust, and financial misconduct within banks.
The EFCC stated that the conviction is part of its wider efforts to tackle financial crimes in the banking sector, especially insider fraud involving diversion of customer funds and manipulation of internal banking systems.
The commission reiterated its commitment to ensuring accountability in financial institutions, warning that individuals involved in fraudulent activities will continue to face prosecution and stiff penalties.
The Kaduna conviction adds to a growing list of successful prosecutions secured by the EFCC across its zonal commands as part of its nationwide anti-corruption enforcement campaign.
Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud
![]()
metro
VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel
VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel
- Nobel Laureate used commercial motorcycle to beat traffic after Abeokuta festival
Viral claims that Nobel Laureate Professor Wole Soyinka rode a commercial motorcycle (okada) home from an event in Abeokuta because he could no longer afford to fuel his cars at N1,500 per litre have been dismissed as misleading by fact-checkers.
A video showing the 89-year-old literary icon leaving the Ake Palace area on a motorcycle, surrounded by commercial riders and guided by a TRACE official, circulated widely on social media in late April 2026.
The footage sparked outrage and sympathy, with many Nigerians expressing shock that a figure of Soyinka’s stature would be forced to use public transport due to economic hardship.
However, a fact-check investigation by the Nigerian Democratic Report found no credible evidence to support the fuel price claim. The video contains no audio or visual evidence of Soyinka himself stating that he used the okada because of petrol costs.
Sources close to the Nobel Laureate told our correspondent that Soyinka had attended the grand finale of the 39th annual Lisabi Festival at the Ake Palace, an event that drew heavy crowds and significant traffic congestion.
The festival, themed “Egbaliganza 2026,” took place from March 23 to March 28 and attracted prominent Egba sons and daughters, including former President Olusegun Obasanjo and former Ogun State governor Ibikunle Amosun.
According to the sources, Soyinka used the commercial motorcycle to navigate through the congested area for a short distance to where his driver and vehicle were stationed.
They described the okada ride as a practical solution to traffic gridlock rather than an indicator of financial distress.
“It is not uncommon for dignitaries at large events in Nigeria to use motorcycles to bypass traffic and reach their waiting vehicles,” one source familiar with the event’s logistics told our correspondent.
Further contradicting the viral narrative, Soyinka appeared publicly at a major event in Lagos just weeks after the okada video circulated.
READ ALSO:
- VIDEO: “I’ll Kill Anyone Who Films Me on duty”: Police Officer Issues Death Threat
- 7 Key Facts About Professor Segun Aina, Tinubu’s New JAMB Registrar
- BREAKING: Tinubu appoints Prof Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
On May 20, 2026, he chaired the launch of “The NADECO Story,” a book written by Chief Ayo Opadokun, at an event attended by President Bola Tinubu and other high-profile Nigerians.
He delivered remarks and was photographed in formal attire, showing no signs of the financial struggles claimed online.
The claim about fuel prices, while false as it pertains to Soyinka’s motivation, reflects a genuine economic reality in Nigeria.
Following the removal of fuel subsidies in 2023, petrol prices have risen sharply. The National Bureau of Statistics reported an average retail price of N1,051.47 in February 2026, though prices in some regions and black markets have reportedly reached as high as N1,500 per litre.
An X user, @CrownprinceCom2, was among those who amplified the misleading claim, posting that Soyinka left the Ake Centre on an okada because he was struggling to buy fuel.
The post gained significant traction before fact-checkers intervened.
Attempts to reach Soyinka’s media aide for comment were unsuccessful as of press time.
Human rights activist and lawyer Inibehe Effiong, commenting on the incident, said the swift spread of the false claim demonstrated how economic frustrations were driving the rapid amplification of unverified narratives involving public figures.
“The public’s anger over fuel prices is legitimate, but we must be careful not to project that anger onto situations that do not warrant it,” Effiong said in a telephone interview.
“Professor Soyinka remains a national icon, and false claims about his personal circumstances do not serve the public interest.”
The Nigerian Democratic Report concluded its investigation with a verdict of “misleading,” noting that while it is confirmed that Soyinka was seen riding an okada in Abeokuta, there is no evidence that he did so because he could not afford fuel at N1,500 per litre.
“The viral claim appears to have been a case of misattributed motivation, with social media users projecting broader economic frustrations onto a single image of a public figure using alternative transportation in a congested event setting,” the report stated.
The Nigeria Police Force has not commented on the matter, and no official statement has been issued by Soyinka’s office as of press time.
Prof Soyinka took an okada home after an event in Abeokuta. According to reports, He said he can no longer fuel his two cars at N1,500 per litre. pic.twitter.com/9U8HT4MqAW
— Nigeria Stories (@NigeriaStories) May 21, 2026
VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel
![]()
-
metro1 day agoOyo Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Panic Spreads Across Ogbomoso
-
News7 hours agoBREAKING: Tinubu appoints Prof Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
-
Education6 hours ago7 Key Facts About Professor Segun Aina, Tinubu’s New JAMB Registrar
-
International2 days agoThree Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
-
metro2 days agoIgboho Calls for Approval of “Iru Ekun Security Network” After Oyo School Attack
-
Education2 days agoUTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay
-
Opinion2 days agoUnderstanding Ahmad Gumi Controversy and Nigeria’s Security Power Structure
-
News9 hours agoHajj 2026: Arafat Sermon to be Translated into Yoruba, Hausa, 33 Other Languages
