News
I’ve no regrets probing Magu – Ayo Salami
Justice Ayo Salami, chairman of the presidential panel investigating Ibrahim Magu, suspended chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), says he does not regret his appointment to serve on the panel.
Magu is being investigated over allegations of abuse of office and mismanagement of recovered assets from May 2015 to May 2020 — the time he acted as chairman of the anti-graft agency.
Magu’s lawyers have always disagreed with the panel.
In a memo on Tuesday, Salami accused the lawyers of planting reports in the media that he regretted chairing the panel.
“The reports were a figment of the wild imagination of the reporter, the two lawyers quoted as his sources and the medium that published the story,” he said.
“There was no time anything near the unthinkable scenario painted in the false story occurred in any meeting between myself and the lawyers to Magu or any other person, for that matter, since the Judicial Commission of Inquiry began its sittings.
“I have no cause to express any regret over my chairmanship of the commission, not to talk of betraying any form of emotion before anyone about it. I see my appointment to serve as the chairman of the commission of inquiry as an honour and call to service, thus my decision to accept diligently and patriotically discharge this responsibility.
“I have never appointed any of the two lawyers or any other person(s) to speak on my behalf as I can express myself without recourse to the lawyers of the persons we are probing. As an eminent jurist, who retired as the President of the Court of Appeal, I have handled much more complex cases than the current one before the commission. There is no doubt that the false reports were aimed at causing mischief and tarnishing my hard-earned reputation and integrity. I remain resolute and committed to the service of the nation and ready to champion the ideals of justice and fairness.
“I want to point out that such wild claims against me and the commission are not strange to me, given the manner in which the lawyers to Magu have been carrying on in the conduct of their client’s case before the commission. Planting such lies in the media about proceedings at the panel has been their pastime. They believe that it is by engaging in such media propaganda against the commission that their client can be easily absolved of the various allegations that have been brought against him.”
The retired president of the appeal court also said the “lies and blackmail” would not deter him and other members of the panel from discharging their duty.
He said the panel would continue its investigation of the allegations against Magu with a view to unearthing the truth and ensuring that justice is done.
News
Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
The Ogun State Police Command has confirmed plans to arrest and prosecute TikTok user Mirabel after she admitted that her viral rape allegation was false, authorities and investigative reports indicate.
Mirabel, a social media influencer, first sparked national attention after posting videos alleging she had been sexually assaulted in her home in Ogijo, Ogun State. The posts quickly went viral, drawing widespread outrage, calls for justice, and prompting the police to launch an immediate investigation.
An audio recording of a phone conversation, shared online by social media personality VeryDarkMan (VDM), reportedly captures Mirabel acknowledging that parts of her story were fabricated. In the recording, she apologises and admits creating a threatening TikTok account to support her narrative, claiming she had been taking drugs at the time and “was not thinking clearly” when posting the videos.
READ ALSO:
- Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
- Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
- ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation
A police source said senior officers, including the Divisional Police Officer, were at the hospital where Mirabel was receiving medical care. Once she is discharged, she will be taken into custody and formally charged under provisions of Nigeria’s Criminal Code relating to false reporting of sexual offenses. “The essence is to serve as a deterrent to others,” the source added.
The Ogun State Police had earlier ensured that Mirabel received medical treatment and support, following procedures to protect her health while the investigation continued. The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) confirmed that the incident fell outside its jurisdiction and forwarded all relevant information to the Ogun authorities.
This development has sparked public debate about the responsible use of social media, the impact of false allegations, and the importance of evidence-based reporting. Legal experts warn that fabricating sexual assault claims can carry serious criminal penalties and may undermine the credibility of genuine victims.
Authorities continue to urge the public to avoid spreading unverified claims and to cooperate with law enforcement in ongoing investigations. Updates on the case will be issued by the Ogun State Police Command as formal legal proceedings begin.
News
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
President Bola Tinubu has commenced a strategic expansion of Nigeria’s defence diplomacy, engaging the European Union (EU) and Turkey to strengthen the nation’s security architecture while reducing overreliance on the United States. The initiative comes as Nigeria faces multiple security threats, including Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east, farmer-herder clashes in the north-central region, separatist violence in the south-east, and escalating banditry in the north-west.
The move coincided with a visit to Brussels by National Security Adviser Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, who led discussions at the first EU-Nigeria Peace, Security, and Defence Dialogue. Both sides agreed to deepen collaboration on regional stability, counter-terrorism, and violent extremism, while enhancing intelligence sharing, maritime security, and cybersecurity cooperation. An EU diplomat in Abuja emphasized that the bloc would provide non-lethal military support, while respecting Nigeria’s sovereignty, describing the EU as “more consistent, more reliable, and more coherent than the United States” in delivering security assistance.
READ ALSO:
- Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
- Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
- ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation
During his state visit to Turkey in January 2026, President Tinubu also held defence discussions with Turkish officials. Turkish companies pledged to supply military equipment, advanced systems, and tactical hardware, while exploring joint local production arrangements with Nigeria. Türkiye is currently regarded as a global leader in armed drones, which could bolster Nigeria’s counter-terrorism operations and reconnaissance capabilities.
Despite these new partnerships, Nigeria continues security cooperation with the United States, including deployments by United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) to support training, intelligence sharing, and operational planning. Recent U.S. personnel arrivals in Bauchi State aim to enhance counter-terrorism capacity without taking direct combat roles, operating under Nigerian command structures.
Analysts say Nigeria’s diversified defence diplomacy seeks to reduce dependency on a single partner, while providing access to a wider range of technology transfer, training opportunities, procurement options, and operational expertise. The strategy also reflects a broader trend of African nations balancing traditional defence alliances with emerging strategic partners to better address evolving security threats.
With regional instability and domestic insurgency on the rise, Nigeria’s engagement with Turkey, the EU, and other partners is expected to strengthen the Nigerian Armed Forces, enhance counter-terrorism operations, and secure national and regional stability.
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
News
Tinubu, German Chancellor Merz Pledge Stronger Nigeria-Germany Ties
Tinubu, German Chancellor Merz Pledge Stronger Nigeria-Germany Ties
President Bola Tinubu and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz have agreed to deepen bilateral relations between Nigeria and Germany, with a focus on security cooperation, power infrastructure, and railway development.
The commitment emerged during a telephone discussion on Wednesday, in which both leaders reaffirmed their dedication to expanding collaboration across critical sectors.
A major topic was Nigeria’s Presidential Power Initiative. President Tinubu highlighted the need for further support, particularly in power transmission infrastructure, to ensure reliable electricity supply nationwide. Chancellor Merz expressed Germany’s readiness to assist, noting that Siemens could provide technical support and Deutsche Bank could finance components of the initiative.
READ ALSO:
- Tinubu, el-Rufai and the cobra
- American Woman, 64, Alleges Embassy Mocked 27-Year-Old Fiancé Before Visa Denial
- Epstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
Security concerns in the Sahel region also featured prominently in the call. President Tinubu stressed the urgent need for enhanced intelligence and reconnaissance capabilities, including the provision of used helicopters to strengthen regional security. “The Sahel corridor is bad and needs our support. Intelligence support and reconnaissance are needed,” he said.
Beyond security and infrastructure, both leaders emphasized the potential for collaboration in creative arts and skills development. Chancellor Merz highlighted the value of cultural exchange and proposed establishing a Great Museum of African Arts to promote African heritage internationally.
Nigeria-Germany diplomatic relations have spanned more than 65 years, with longstanding economic and political ties. Chancellor Merz also welcomed Nigeria’s incoming ambassador to Berlin, signaling intentions to further consolidate bilateral engagements.
The 10-minute telephone call, which began at 2:01 p.m. and ended at 2:10 p.m., was confirmed in a statement by President Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on February 18, 2026.
Tinubu, German Chancellor Merz Pledge Stronger Nigeria-Germany Ties
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro3 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News3 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
International23 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
metro22 hours agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors



You must be logged in to post a comment Login