Kwara road traffic crash claims 19 lives – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Kwara road traffic crash claims 19 lives

Published

on

Kwara road traffic crash claims 19 lives

A fatal road accident in Kwara State has left nineteen people dead.

The auto crash happened at around 20:00hrs on Thursday at Kanbi village, along the Olooru new Jebba road.

The The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Marshal, Shehu Mohammed, disclosed this while addressing newsmen on Friday in Abuja.

According to Mohammed, two vehicles, a blue Iveco trailer with no trace of registration and a white Toyota Hiace bus with registration number LSD363YE, were involved in the crash.

READ ALSO:

He stated that preliminary investigation revealed that the crash was caused by excessive speed and wrongful overtaking.

The marshal disclosed that 25 people were involved in the crash.

Mohammed stated: “A total of 25 people were involved, comprising 13 male adults, five female adults, two female children and fivemale children.

“From this number, 5 people were injured (3 male adults and 2 female adults), and 19 victims killed (11 male adults, 3 female adults,3 male children, and 2 female children.

“The injured victims have been rescued to Orisun Ayo hospital, one corpse was deposited at the morgue of the same hospital while the remaining 18 dead bodies were claimed by the families of the deceased.”

Kwara road traffic crash claims 19 lives

Advertisement

metro

Police arrest doctor in Osun for raping job seeker

Published

on

Police arrest doctor in Osun for raping job seeker

The Osun State Police Command has verified the arrest of Olayode Akangbe Shakiru, a medical doctor, for allegedly assaulting and raping a teenage girl looking for a job. 

Yemisi Opalola, the Command’s Spokesperson, confirmed the arrest and stated that the police were conducting an investigation.

She revealed that the suspect, Shakiru, was arrested on Thursday by a team of police officers from the Oke-Baale Police Division in Osogbo after the 18-year-old girl’s family reported the incident.

“On Thursday, he was arrested by the police along the road while returning to Osogbo from Ipetumodu along Ile-Ife road,” the PPRO said.

Opalola stated that the medical doctor had been handed to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.

According to the Daily Post, Shakiru approached the victim (name withheld) while strolling down the street in Osogbo and offered her a ride to her destination.

Before letting her off in Osogbo’s Oke-Fia Area, the medical practitioner took her phone number and offered to find her a job so she could fund her education.

READ ALSO:

The rape, according to the aforementioned publication took place inside the suspect’s house in Osogbo’s Ilesa Garage neighbourhood, where the youngster had gone to sign the alleged job form.

Narrating her trauma, the girl stated that she moved from her home in the Osunjela community to Osogbo to look for work, and while walking the streets, she encountered Dr Shakiru, who offered to help her.

The adolescent stated that following the incident, she went to her older sister and told her about her ordeals. After that, “she accompanied me to the Oke-Baale Police Station in Osogbo, where we reported the rape.”

Meanwhile, a text message sent by the medical practitioner to the victim via WhatsApp, informing her of his plan to arrange employment for her, has been collected as evidence in the case.

An elder brother of the victim, who did not want to be named, stated that the girl could not locate the residence when the police took her there to arrest the suspect.

“We took the Police to Atoke Hospital, Igbona Area where he claimed to be working. The nurses at the hospital said he is a ‘listed doctor’ as he comes once a while to attend to patients,” he added.

Police arrest doctor in Osun for raping job seeker

Continue Reading

metro

Ekiti council worker arrested, accused of sleeping with teenage daughter

Published

on

Ekiti council worker arrested, accused of sleeping with teenage daughter

Taiwo Ojo, 45, of Ojido Street in Ado Ekiti, has been arrested by police for reportedly having sexual relations with his thirteen-year-old daughter.

The culprit, a council worker, was caught following a tip-off from members of his neighbourhood who witnessed the unethical behaviour.

According to the Daily Post, the suspect began defiling the youngster a few years ago after the mother died.

Witnesses stated the abuse began on Inisa Street, where the man previously lived, but he moved to Ojido after suspecting that people were learning about his behaviour.

In her testimony to the police, the survivor verified the claim and stated she had lost count of how many times the father slept with her.

In a related report, an Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti has convicted Olukayode Dayo, a civil defence officer to life in prison for rape.

The 39-year-old defendant was brought before Justice Lekan Olatawura on May 13, 2022, on a rape-related offence.

The indictment revealed that on December 25, 2021, in Ado Ekiti, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable court, Olukayode Dayo raped a 13-year-old girl.

According to the allegation, the act violates section 31(2) of the Child’s Rights Law, Cap. C7, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.

In his statement to the police, the victim said, “I was living with my grandmother, I was sent home to go and bring banana and kolanut, on my way home, one man called Olukay (the defendant) crossed me with his motorcycle, he dropped the banana and kolanut on my head, he carried me to a fenced uncompleted building, I was shouting but he did not listen to me, he removed my pant and started having sex with me.

READ ALSO:

“A passerby who heard my voice entered the compound, he took to his heels on citing the man, the man chased him but he was unable to catch him, the man came back and took me to my grandmother and explained what happened to her”, she concluded.

To support his case, prosecutor Julius Ajibare brought six witnesses and presented the defendant’s statement, photos of the victim, and a medical report as documents.

The defendant spoke in his defence through his attorney, Oluwaseun Oyebanji; he denied committing the offence but appealed with the court to balance justice with mercy; he did not summon any witnesses.

In his decision, Justice Lekan Olatawura ruled that in this case, the victim continuously, unambiguously, and indisputably maintained that the defendant, whom she knew well, was the one who raped her.

Overall, it is shown beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant raped the 13-year-old girl on December 25, 2021, and I thus find him guilty as charged.

As a result of the aforementioned, the defendant was sentenced to life in prison.

In the same vein, an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court sent Adema Ogunbiyi, a 43-year-old boarding school housemaster, to the Kirikiri correctional facility for allegedly defiling a 12-year-old child.

Chief Magistrate E. Kubeinje ordered that Ogunbiyi be held at the facility pending advice from the state Director of Public Prosecutions.

The court did not accept Ogunbiyi’s petition. However, Kubeinje postponed the matter until July 24 for consideration.

The Prosecutor, Insp John Iberedem, had previously informed the court that the suspect committed the offence on June 18 between 10:00 pm and 11:30 pm.

Iberedem added that the event happened at St Francis Catholic Secondary School located at Idimu Road, Ikotun-Lagos.

The prosecution said that the defendant, who is a housemaster in the school, sexually molested the youngster. He stated that the offence violates Section 261 of Lagos State’s Criminal Law, 2015.

Section 261 provides for life imprisonment for such offences.

Ekiti council worker arrested, accused of sleeping with teenage daughter

Continue Reading

metro

A’Court upholds sentence of Lagos traditional ruler who faked his abduction

Published

on

A’Court upholds sentence of Lagos traditional ruler who faked his abduction

The court of appeal in Lagos on Monday affirmed the conviction and sentencing of one Mutiu Ogundare, a traditional ruler.

Ogundare was Baale of Shangisha in the Magodo area of the state. He was dethroned in 2015 after staging his own abduction.

He was subsequently sentenced to 15 years imprisonment by a Lagos high court for the crime.

The dethroned monarch was said to have orchestrated his own abduction to forment trouble and cause a breach of public peace.

He was allegedly helped by his brother and wife.
Ogundare and Opeyemi Mohammed, his brother, were convicted on three counts bordering on conspiracy and fake abduction.

READ ALSO:

However, the court discharged and acquitted his wife.

Dissatisfied with the judgment, the dethroned monarch approached the appeal court to challenge the decision of the Lagos high court

Delivering the verdict on Monday, Peter Bassi, the lead judge of the three-member panel of the appeal court, upheld the judgment of the trial court in counts one and two but overturned count three.

Bassi reduced the appellant’s sentence to 12 years from the 15 years handed down by the lower court.

In September 2017, Akinwunmi Ambode, then governor of Lagos, approved the deposition of Ogundare for faking his abduction.

The state government had said Ogundare confessed to security services that he staged the kidnapping to blackmail the state government.

A’Court upholds sentence of Lagos traditional ruler who faked his abduction

Continue Reading

Trending