Railway
Lagos blue rail project gets CBN N60bn support (with photos)
- Train to run every three minutes at peak period – LAMATA
The Central Bank of Nigeria says it has offered N60bn support through three commercial banks for a railway project being executed by the Lagos State Government.
The funds are being released specifically for the Lagos Blue (rail) Line, running between Marina and Okokomaiko, which is one of the seven mass transit rail projects being developed by the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA).
Director of Development and Finance at the CBN, Mr Phillip Yusuf, disclosed this on Thursday during an inspection of the project at Marina, Lagos.
Already, he said N45bn had been disbursed, adding that the last tranche of the funds would be released soon.
According to him, this is one of the projects the apex bank and some deposit money banks are supporting under its N1 trillion DCR Intervention, which is part of their response to the COVID-19 pandemic to businesses and projects affecting the people.
He named the banks involved as Access Bank Plc, Sterling Bank Plc and Fidelity Bank Plc.
“The total amount that we have made available for this line is N60 billion. We have disbursed N45 billion; there is another tranche of N15 billion due.
“So, we can see the progress made with the disbursement that had been made so far. This is just one of the many projects under its DCR Intervention.”
Yusuf expressed satisfaction with work done and the solid structure being put in place by the contractor.
He said, “I am quite impressed with what I see on the ground. LAMATA had taken us around and we can see the solid structure that is being put in place in Marina.
“The quality of work is quite impressive and they have shown us all the work done so far. Luckily, I am an engineer; I can appreciate the amount of work being done.
“Most importantly, I see young Nigerians welding, fabricating and there are over 500 jobs on site. For me, that is a very good take away.”
The Managing Director, LAMATA, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, said, “The vision of the state is to ensure that this project will be operational in the first quarter of 2022, as we are on track.
“One of the major things in every project is funding, and with the support we have from the CBN and three other banks – Sterling, Fidelity and Access, we will ensure we meet our goal and target.”
She said that LAMATA was at present constructing the first operational phase of the Blue Line, adding that five stations at Mile 2, Alaba, Iganmu, National Theatre and the Marina would be constructed within the axis.
She said that the Marina station would actually serve as the hub in Lagos State because both the Blue and Red lines would terminate at the place and the Green Line which would come from Lekki would also terminate at the Marina station.
Akinajo said that the Marina station would serve as an interchange because every form of transportation would be catered for there.
She called for the stakeholders’ collaboration on the project to enable the state government to achieve its aim, stressing that three sets of coaches would commence on the line in 2022.
She said that each of the coaches would carry not less than 1,000 passengers, adding that the signalling system in place would allow the movement of train every three minutes during peak hours.
The line is expected to run on the surface in the central reservation of the Lagos-Badagry Expressway between Igbo-Elerin Road (Okokomaiko) and Iganmu. It will then be elevated from Iganmu along the south side of the expressway passing the junction with Eric Moore Road, crossing just south of the National Theatre to Iddo, then south to Lagos Island with a terminal at Marina.




Entertainment
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
A team of leading Nigerian artistes and entertainment executives has paid a courtesy visit to the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Kayode Opeifa, ahead of the 2026 Valentine Love Train experience.
The delegation included celebrated musician Sunny Neji, Managing Director of Ojez Entertainment Limited, Joseph Odobeatu, and veteran vocalist Yinka Davies.
The high-profile visit formed part of final preparations for the Valentine-themed train ride scheduled for Saturday, February 14, 2026, at the Mobolaji Johnson Train Station.
Dr. Opeifa received the artistes and commended the creative industry for choosing the national rail system as the venue for the annual Valentine event. He noted that the partnership reflects growing public confidence in the corporation’s safety standards, operational improvements, and renewed focus on customer experience.
READ ALSO:
- 2027 General Elections: INEC Announces February 20 for Presidential Poll
- EFCC Nabs Three in Borno Over Viral ₦500 Naira Mutilation Video
- Omokri Accuses El-Rufai of Rights Abuses During Kaduna Governorship
“The 2026 edition aims to deliver an unforgettable experience while deepening public engagement with the rail service,” Opeifa said, reaffirming the NRC’s commitment to providing secure and efficient transport for passengers during special events.
Organisers disclosed that this year’s edition will feature an expanded entertainment lineup, including performances and appearances by Charles Inojie, Yinka Davies, Sunny Neji, and Segun Arinze. Guests are expected to enjoy live music, comedy, a couple’s game show, fashion showcases, and special performances throughout the Lagos–Ibadan–Lagos train ride, culminating in a Valentine banquet ball.
The Valentine Love Train has in recent years become a fixture on the NRC’s festive calendar, attracting couples, families, and leisure seekers with its blend of travel, romance, and entertainment. The initiative also aligns with ongoing efforts by the corporation to promote rail transportation as a viable and enjoyable alternative for intercity travel.
With final logistics being fine-tuned, organisers say the 2026 edition promises to combine safety, comfort, and premium entertainment for participants.
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
Railway
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
The Lagos State Government has taken steps to address persistent flooding within the Ebute-Meta railway corridor and adjoining communities with the construction of a major stormwater drainage channel in collaboration with the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
The NRC said the state government had awarded a contract for the construction of the Carter-Railway Channel, also known as System 4, aimed at deflooding the railway compound as well as parts of Olaleye and neighbouring areas within Lagos Mainland Local Government Area.
The reinforced concrete drainage channel will run from Murtala Muhammed Way in Ebute-Meta through the railway corridor to a discharge point at Iponri on Western Avenue.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting held at the railway premises, the Director of Drainage Services at the Lagos State Ministry of Environment and Water Resources, Engr.
READ ALSO:
- Outrage Mounts Over ‘Ministry of Sex’ Proposal Ahead of General Election
- Nollywood in Mourning as Family Confirms Death of Actress Aunty Ajara
- Kwankwaso Condemns Kwara Massacre, Calls for Strong Federal Response to Terrorism
Adedapo Ajadi, said the project would permanently address the perennial flooding that has affected residents, institutions and businesses in the area for years. He added that construction work is expected to last about 18 months and urged stakeholders to cooperate with contractors to ensure smooth execution.
Stakeholders at the meeting included representatives of St Saviour’s School, NTA Channel 10, the Railway Museum, Federal Medical Centre Ebute-Meta, CCECC quarters, churches, mosques, as well as industrial and small business operators within the railway corridor.
Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa, described the intervention as timely, assuring that the corporation would give full support to the multi-billion-naira project.
He noted that the infrastructure, when completed, would significantly reduce flooding and improve safety within the railway environment and neighbouring communities.
Some stakeholders welcomed the development, saying annual flooding had disrupted academic, medical and commercial activities in the area and posed risks to lives and property.
Officials of the Lagos State Government and the NRC later carried out a joint inspection of the proposed corridor to assess the alignment and identify areas that may be affected before construction begins.
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
Railway
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
Excitement swept through major railway stations across the country on Tuesday and Wednesday as thousands of passengers turned out to enjoy the Federal Government’s 50 percent yuletide train fare reduction, with many openly praising the initiative as a major relief amid rising transport costs.
From the Lagos–Ibadan and Abuja–Kaduna standard gauge corridors to key narrow gauge routes, passengers arrived early, smiling, cheering and expressing gratitude to the government for what they described as a “timely Christmas gift.”
Several train services departed with near-full capacity as Nigerians seized the opportunity to travel cheaply to reunite with family and loved ones for the Christmas and New Year celebrations.
The discounted festive rail service, approved by the Federal Government and implemented by the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), runs from Tuesday, December 23, 2025, to Sunday, January 4, 2026, offering passengers a 50 percent reduction on fares nationwide.
Speaking at various stations, passengers said the fare cut had significantly eased the financial burden of holiday travel, especially for families and group travellers.
Many described the initiative as people-centred and compassionate, noting that it allowed them to travel safely and comfortably at a time when road transport costs have surged.
“I never imagined I would travel this cheap during Christmas,” a passenger at the Lagos terminus said. “This is a big relief. The government has really tried, and we are grateful.”
Confirming the successful commencement of the programme, the NRC Chief Public Relations Officer, Callistus Unyimadu, said the turnout across major routes showed strong public acceptance of the initiative, adding that early bookings reflected overwhelming passenger interest.
The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the NRC, Dr Kayode Opeifa, assured passengers that the corporation was fully prepared to sustain safe, efficient and customer-friendly services throughout the festive period.
He said enhanced security, safety and customer service measures had been put in place across stations and onboard trains to manage the increased traffic resulting from the fare reduction.
The NRC noted that both standard gauge and narrow gauge services are fully operational, advising passengers on standard gauge routes to continue using NRC-approved online booking platforms, while narrow gauge passengers can purchase tickets directly at designated railway stations.
The 50 percent yuletide train fare cut is part of the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, aimed at reducing transportation costs, promoting inclusive mobility and encouraging rail transport as a safer and more reliable option during peak travel seasons.
As the festive rush continues, the NRC urged passengers to cooperate with railway officials and comply with travel guidelines to ensure smooth and hitch-free journeys throughout the discount period.
If you want, I can make it more emotional, more political, or more populist depending on the platform (Vanguard, Punch-style, or government-leaning tone).
Excited passengers hail FG as 50% yuletide train fare cut sparks nationwide rush
-
Education1 day agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News20 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News1 day agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoCourt Orders DIA to Produce Cleric Accused of Coup Plot by February 18
-
metro1 day agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
-
metro1 day agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu


