metro
Man arrested in Lagos for beating girlfriend to death
Man arrested in Lagos for beating girlfriend to death
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 23-year-old Gbolahan Adebayo for allegedly beating his girlfriend to death in Ijedodo, Alimosho Local Government Area, Lagos State.
The incident occurred during the deceased’s visit to the suspect’s home on Friday.
A local who identified himself only as Akin informed our correspondent on Monday that the 23-year-old woman was heard pleading for help about midnight while being battered by her lover.
Akin said that Adebayo later rang the alarm at dawn when he discovered she was no longer responsive following the attack.
He said, “The girl was a regular visitor to the suspect’s home and came around as usual on Friday night. But when it was about 2 am, neighbours started hearing someone screaming and later discovered it was the suspect who was beating her girlfriend in his room. The screaming lasted at intervals for about an hour.
READ ALSO:
- EFCC witness exposes how Obiano used unlicensed companies in N4bn fraud
- Why Buhari snubbed Babangida’s book launch
- Abuja tenant, landlord engage in physical combat over one-year rent
“After that, the screaming stopped. It was in the morning that the boyfriend started shouting for help and when the neighbours who were around at that time went to attend to him, they saw the girl lying motionless on the bed.”
According to a police source who talked to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, the suspect’s neighbour reported the incident to the Isheri-Oshun Police Division on Sunday.
According to the source, the girl was rushed to the hospital and ultimately died as a result of the injuries she got during the incident before being reported to the police.
“When the neighbor came, he explained that the incident happened two days ago and that efforts were first made to resuscitate the girl, but she eventually passed away. As a result, a team of policemen was immediately drafted to the scene, leading to an ongoing investigation.”
When contacted, the state police command’s spokesperson, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident.
The police PRO stated that evident signs of violence were discovered on the deceased’s body and that her remains had been placed in the morgue.
He said, “One neighbor reported at Isheri Osun Division that on 21/02/25 at about 2 am, he saw his neighbor, one Gbolahan Adebayo, ‘m,’ age 23 years, beating his girlfriend, aged 25 years, in his home in Ijedodo for a yet-to-be-determined reason. However, at about 7 am, the said Gbolahan Adebayo reportedly screamed for help, and on getting to his apartment, the said girlfriend was met lying unconscious on the bed with visible marks of violence found on the body.
“She was immediately taken to a hospital in Ijegun where he was confirmed dead by the doctor on duty. Based on the report, a team of detectives visited the scene of the incident.
“The hospital was also visited, where the corpse was inspected and photographed. The corpse was evacuated and deposited at the IDH morgue, Yaba for autopsy. The suspect was promptly arrested, and an investigation is in progress on the matter,” Hundeyin concluded.
Man arrested in Lagos for beating girlfriend to death
metro
Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
Officials of the Kano State Hisbah Board have arrested nine Muslims in Kano State for allegedly failing to observe fasting during Ramadan, triggering renewed debate over religious enforcement and personal freedoms in northern Nigeria.
According to the Hisbah authorities, the arrests were carried out during routine patrols across parts of Kano metropolis after reports that some individuals were eating and drinking publicly during fasting hours. The suspects were picked up at different locations, including eateries and roadside areas, and were subsequently taken into custody for questioning.
A senior Hisbah official explained that the enforcement action was in line with the agency’s mandate to uphold Islamic moral standards during the holy month of Ramadan, particularly among Muslims who are expected to fast from dawn to sunset.
The official noted that exemptions exist for certain categories of people, including the sick, pregnant women, travelers, and nursing mothers, but stressed that anyone claiming exemption must provide valid justification.
READ ALSO:
- Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
- LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
- Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara
“The essence of this exercise is not to punish but to ensure compliance with Islamic principles and preserve the sanctity of Ramadan,” the official said, adding that those arrested would be counselled and possibly released after undertaking to observe the fast.
The arrests have, however, drawn mixed reactions from residents and rights advocates. While some Kano residents supported the move, arguing that public disregard for fasting offends religious sensibilities, others expressed concern over civil liberties and freedom of religion, especially in a plural society.
This is not the first time the Hisbah Board has taken such action. The agency has a history of enforcing Ramadan-related regulations, including the closure of eateries during fasting hours and warnings against public consumption of food by Muslims.
Kano State operates an Islamic legal system alongside conventional law, and the Hisbah Board plays a central role in religious and moral enforcement, particularly during Ramadan.
Background: Hisbah and Ramadan Enforcement in Kano
The Kano State Hisbah Board is a government-backed moral enforcement body established to promote Islamic ethics and social order. Its activities typically intensify during Ramadan, a period regarded by Muslims as sacred and spiritually significant.
Over the years, Hisbah’s actions—ranging from arrests for public eating to crackdowns on alcohol and “immoral conduct”—have sparked recurring debates about human rights, religious tolerance, and the limits of state-backed moral policing.
Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
metro
Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of Agamọ Community in Akure North Local Government Area, has been killed following a violent bandit attack on his palace, escalating concerns over rising insecurity in Ondo State.
According to community and security sources, the incident occurred on Wednesday evening when armed men invaded the monarch’s residence in what was described as an attempted kidnapping. Residents said the attackers operated in numbers, causing panic within the community and surrounding villages.
The traditional ruler was later found dead close to the palace, prompting immediate intervention by security agencies. The Ondo State Police Command confirmed the incident and said a full investigation had commenced.
Police spokesperson Abayomi Jimoh said operatives were swiftly deployed to the area, with tactical teams working alongside local security outfits to track the suspects. He added that surveillance and patrols have been intensified to prevent further attacks and restore calm.
Security operatives from the police, local hunters, vigilantes, and Ondo State Security Network Agency (Amotekun) were involved in combing nearby bushes and forest corridors believed to serve as escape routes for criminal gangs.
READ ALSO:
- LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
- Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara
- PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls
The killing has triggered widespread condemnation from residents and traditional leaders, who described the attack as a grave threat to grassroots leadership and a sign of worsening rural insecurity.
The incident comes amid a spate of violent crimes in Akure North, including recent abductions and armed raids that have unsettled communities and disrupted farming and trading activities. Residents are now calling for sustained military-style operations, improved intelligence gathering, and a stronger security presence in forest-bordering settlements.
Why Akure North Is Under Threat
Akure North Local Government Area, which surrounds the Ondo State capital, is largely rural and dotted with thick forests, farmlands, and isolated communities. These geographic features have increasingly been exploited by bandits and kidnappers, who use forest routes to launch attacks and evade arrest.
In recent months, Akure North has recorded:
- Kidnappings for ransom, including the abduction of residents from farming communities
- Attacks on villages near forest boundaries
- Arrests of suspected bandits following joint operations by security agencies
Despite periodic arrests, residents say criminal groups often regroup and return, raising concerns about porous security coverage and the need for long-term security infrastructure, including permanent patrol bases and aerial surveillance.
The killing of a sitting monarch has intensified calls for federal intervention, as community leaders warn that continued attacks could undermine local governance, traditional institutions, and economic activities in the area.
Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
metro
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday adjourned the trial of former JAMB Registrar Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, his children, and several corporate entities on charges of official corruption and abuse of office until April 30, 2026.
The matter was before Justice Mohammed Umar, but proceedings could not take place due to the judge’s absence on another official assignment. Consequently, the case was rescheduled for later in April.
Prof. Ojerinde, who previously served as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), is being prosecuted alongside four of his children — Mary Ojerinde, Olumide Ojerinde, Adebayo Ojerinde, and Oluwaseun Ojerinde — as well as six companies linked to him.
READ ALSO:
- Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
- FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
The companies named as co‑defendants in the case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/119/2023, are: Doyin Ogbohi Petroleum Limited, Cheng Marbles Limited, Sapati International Schools Limited, Trillium Learning Centre Limited, Standout Institutes Limited, and Esli Perfect Security Printers Limited.
The charges were filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and relate to alleged corruption and abuse of office during Prof. Ojerinde’s tenure as JAMB Registrar.
In addition to the current corruption trial, Ojerinde is facing a separate 18‑count charge alleging the diversion of funds during his time as Registrar of the National Examinations Council (NECO) and later at JAMB. That matter is before a sister Federal High Court, presided over by Justice Obiora Egwuatu, and is scheduled to resume on March 25, 2026.
Legal experts say the multiplicity of charges reflects increased enforcement efforts by anti‑corruption agencies against high‑profile public officials accused of financial misconduct. Ojerinde’s legal team had sought additional time to prepare their defence, a request accommodated by the court’s adjournment.
The adjournment comes amid heightened public interest in accountability within Nigeria’s public institutions, particularly concerning the management of examination bodies and the oversight of funds in federally funded agencies.
Observers note that the outcome of the Ojerinde trials could set an important precedent for prosecuting alleged financial crimes by senior public servants, especially where family members and associated businesses are implicated.
Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro2 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News20 hours agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
metro2 days agoTroops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations
-
Health1 day agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


