A showdown may be imminent between the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Federal Government over a fresh increase in electricity tariff.
A new statement emanating from the electricity distribution companies has informed consumers of a new tariff regime for implementation with effect from September, having been approved by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission.
But the NLC has rejected the new tariff and urged the Federal Government not to implement it.
The labour union said while many sectors, including power, have been increasing tariffs, there had not been commensurate increases in workers’ wages.
NLC Deputy President Joe Ajaero, who spoke on the pains of Nigerian workers, wondered why electricity regulator – NERC – was considering another tariff increase when the wages of workers had remained stagnant.
Ajaero, who doubles as the General Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), said there was a regulatory hijack of the power sector by electricity distribution companies (DisCos), who he said were bent on transferring their “inefficiencies” to poor Nigerians.
He said five months after a seven-man technical committee on electricity tariff submitted its report, the Federal Government was yet to implement the recommendations in the report to reduce electricity tariff.
The seven-man technical committee on electricity tariff submitted its report on February 22, 2021 at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa in Abuja to Labour and Employment Minister Chris Ngige.
The minister had said at a bipartite meeting between the government and organised labour that the government would consider the reports on electricity tariff and petrol increases.
Ajaero, who spoke on a breakfast programme on African Independent Television (AIT), Kakaaki, said, “Late last year when this issue came up (of course, you know they equally increased electricity tariff by 100 per cent), the NLC stepped in and then they set up a seven-man committee headed by Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo (SAN). I happen to be a member of the committee.
“We had certain assumptions – including the issue of who the members of NERC are – because it was clear who sits at NERC at the level of consultation.
“The law is clear that you have to equally consult with stakeholders before any increase (in electricity tariff) and those agreements were reached that the price of gas must be situated; that if we situate the price of gas very well, even what we are paying will crash.”
New agreements with IOCs will unlock opportunities in upstream sector, says Kyari
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has said the signing of the new Production Sharing Contracts (PSC) is a key milestone achievement which will unlock opportunities within the Nigeria upstream sector.
It noted that the execution of the PSCs would deepen investment and development of Nigeria’s rich petroleum resources and ensure that the trifold mandate of the NNPC Ltd to ensure energy availability, sustainability, and accessibility was achieved.
The Group Chief Executive Officer, NNPC, Mele Kyari stated this during the signing of agreements with international oil companies in Abuja on Friday.
In a bid to increase the production of crude oil in the country and increase revenue, the NNPC Ltd and international oil companies operating in Nigeria had signed various agreements.
The agreements would see the production of about 10 billion barrels of crude oil and generation of over $500bn revenue to all parties involved.
NNPC officials and their counterparts from the IOCs including Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Sinopec, Sapetro, Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria Limited, among others, renewed their agreements in five Oil Mining Leases that included OMLs 128, 130,132, 133, and 138.
The agreements renewed by the parties were Production Sharing Contracts, as well as Dispute Resolution Agreements, among others at a signing ceremony held at the Abuja headquarters of NNPC.
Speaking at the event, Kyari said: “The signing of the new PSCs is a key milestone achievement by NNPC Ltd which would ultimately unlock opportunities within the Nigeria upstream sector.
“The execution of the PSCs will deepen investment and development of Nigeria’s rich petroleum resources and ensure that the trifold mandate of the NNPC Ltd to ensure energy availability, sustainability, and accessibility is achieved.
- Atiku/Wike peace talks run into fresh hitch
- Female footballers, officials abducted, kidnappers demand N30m
- Kenya’s Presidential Race: Early Results Put Odinga Slightly Ahead
“Ultimately, the new PSCs will provide an inflow of Foreign Direct Investment, expanded access to affordable energy, job creation and socio-economic development.”
The NNPC Ltd chief explained that the Petroleum Industry Act 2021 gave NNPC the legal backing to renegotiate all its existing PSCs in conformance to the provisions of the new Act within a one-year period.
The PIA became law on August 16, 2021 after it was signed into law the same day by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The PIA in Section 311(2) stipulated that new PSC agreements under new Heads of Terms will be signed between NNPC Ltd as concessionaire and its contractor parties within one year of signing the PIA into law, giving a deadline of August 15, 2022.
The NNPC Ltd chief noted that this provision paved the way for the resolution of lingering disputes which created investment uncertainty and stifled new investments in the nation’s deep offshore assets.
According to him, the NNPC leveraged on the near end term of the PSCs and the parties’ interest to renew the PSCs as a negotiation currency in bringing the contractors to work towards trading the past for the future.
“These renewed PSCs would provide several benefits such as improved long-term relationships with contractors, elimination of contractual ambiguities especially in relation to gas terms, enable early contract renewal, among others,” he stated.
The Group General Manager, National Petroleum Investment Management Services, Bala Wunti, who spoke during the signing, said: “Cumulatively we hope to produce and monetise over 10 billion barrels of oil with these signatures that we had today.
“And this by no means will give significant revenue for all the parties. We expect over $500bn of revenue for all the stakeholders.”
CIG upgrades Lagos auto plant to CKD, plans 5,000 vehicles yearly
A new auto assembly plant being constructed by CIG Motors Company Limited in conjunction with the Lagos State Government has been upgraded from Semi-Knocked Down (SKD) vehicles to Complete Knocked Down vehicle components (CKD), the state governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said.
The governor disclosed this on Thursday during an inspection of the construction work at the Ogba project site, adding that the plant to assemble GAC brand of vehicles, would be ready by the end of this year.
The governor was received by the Chairman of the CIG Motors, Chief Diana Chen.
A statement by Gboyega Akosile, the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, said Sanwo-Olu, who inspected the fully equipped assembly hall already constructed in the assembly yard, said the plant would produce 5,000 new vehicles and gradually increase to 10,000 units annually.
Part of the statement read, “Sanwo-Olu’s visit came 17 months after the governor formally sealed a Joint Venture Agreement with the automobile company for the establishment of a vehicle assembly plant in the state.
“The plant, expected to be delivered by the end of the year, will have a jointly-run factory for the production of different classes of brand new cars.
“Establishment of the vehicle assembly plant in Lagos was part of the bilateral agreements reached by the state government and Chinese investors’ community in November 2019 during Sanwo-Olu’s business trip to China.
“IBILE Holdings Limited, a state-owned corporation, is supervising the investment on behalf of the Lagos State Government.
“Other ancillary facilities already in place in the yard include wheel balancing chamber, spraying booths, maintenance hall, noise testing chambers, sprinkling arena to test for roof leakage, staff lounge and auto parts warehouse.”
The statement quoted Sanwo-Olu as saying, “This is one of the things we promised Lagosians. Apart from our relationship with CIG Motors, there is a partnership in which we are setting up a vehicle assembly plant.
“This is becoming a reality, as the site is live with structures and assembly equipment. The place has been well prepared for the production of vehicles. We initially agreed it would be SKD (Semi Knocked Down) but now the facility has moved to CKD (Completely Knocked Down).
“We are hoping that their first plan is to have a production capacity of 5,000 vehicles, after which it will be pushed to 10,000 vehicles per year.
“We are happy with the level of work at the site and the commitment of our partner to this project. The plan is that we want to stop buying fully built vehicles from abroad; we want to be able to have an assembly line where we can employ our citizens in an automobile production chain.”
According to him, the automobile assembly plant will create employment opportunities for local skilled workers, as 95 per cent of the workforce would be sourced locally.
“Also, some of the parts used in the assembly plant would be sourced locally, including air conditioning system, valves, ball joints, bolts and nuts, and batteries.”
Despite Opposition, FG Set to Implement 5 Per Cent Hike on Data, Voice Calls
*Finance Minister faults Pantami on new tax
Despite opposition by various stakeholders, including the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, the federal government has declared its readiness to implement the five per cent hike in tariff on data and voice calls.
Owing to this, it has directed telecommunications operators to henceforth effect the new tariff and remit to the government before the 21st of every month.
The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed who gave the directive yesterday, also faulted her Communications and Digital Economy counterpart for claiming ignorance of the new tariff hike.
In a statement issued by her Special Adviser, Media and Communications, Yunusa Tanko Abdullahi, the finance minister announced that the government would commence the implementation of the new tax regime on all voice calls, short message services (SMSs) and data services, in addition to the existing 7.5 per cent Value Added Tax (VAT) paid for goods and services across all sectors of the economy.
The statement said the minister made the disclosure on the five per cent excise duty during a stakeholders’ meeting, organised by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), the telecoms industry regulator.
It pointed out that at the meeting, Ahmed, who was represented by the Assistant Director, Tax Policy, Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Musa Umar, noted: “The five per cent excise duty has been in the Finance Act 2020, but has never been implemented.
“Henceforth, the five per cent excise duty will be collected by telecom operators and payment made to the federal government on a monthly basis, on or before 21st of every month.”
- Wike sues Atiku, Tambuwal, demands recognition as candidate
- Actor Olaiya Igwe prostrates for MC Oluomo for car gift
- MURIC knocks Makinde over denial of plan to return schools to missionaries
Reacting to Pantami’s recent position that he was not carried along on the new tariff regime, Ahmed said her counterpart could not claim ignorance of the policy.
She said it was worth noting that there was a circular indicating the planned hike, which was addressed to the communication minister and other relevant ministries and agencies of government via a circular referenced No. F. 17417/VI/286 dated March 1, 2022, and titled “Approval for Implementation of the 2022 Fiscal Policy Measures and Tariff Amendments.”
The statement added: “Against the comments by Prof. Isa Ali Pantami, Honourable Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, concerning the five per cent excise duty hike on telecoms services, it is worth noting that there was a circular stating the planned hike which was addressed to the communication minister and other relevant ministries and agencies of government.
“The circular referenced No. F. 17417/VI/286 dated 1st March 2022, and titled “Approval for Implementation of the 2022 Fiscal Policy Measures and Tariff Amendments” was addressed to different Ministers, including Honourable Minister, Communications and Digital Economy and other heads of government agencies.
“The circular was addressed to The Secretary to The Government of The Federation, Attorney-General of The Federation, Ministers of Industry, Trade an Investment, Agriculture and Rural development, Mines and Steel and Development.
“Others are Ministers of Health, Aviation, Information And Culture, Budget And National Planning. Other heads of agencies copied in the circular are Accountant-General of the Federation, Comptroller-General of Customs, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service and the Director-General of the Raw Materials Research and Development Council.
“Others are the Executive Secretary of Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) and the Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission.”
Reinforcing her position, Ahmed said with the aforementioned reference, it therefore, meant that all stakeholders had by that singular provision been aware of the Act.
According to her, the excise duty on telecommunication services provided in Nigeria introduced through the Finance Act, 2020 with statutory enactment on January 1, 2021 is yet to be implemented till date.
She added that this was considering the need to ensure reasonable transition period before the implementation of the new tax, as well as providing clarity to all stakeholders on implementation modalities.
Pantami had recently expressed dissatisfaction with efforts by the federal government to introduce the five per cent excise duty on telecommunication services.
Speaking at the maiden edition of the Nigerian Telecommunications Indigenous Content EXPO (NTICE) themed ‘Stimulating the development of Indigenous Content through innovation and commercialisation’ in Lagos, he had stressed the need for the government and stakeholders to continue to support the sector, and not unnecessarily burden.
Pantami had said he would explore every legitimate means to stop the planned five per cent excise duty on telecoms consumers, faulting the timing and process of imposing the tax on the industry.
According to him, part of the responsibility of a responsive government was not to increase the challenges that citizens were facing.
“The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy is not satisfied with any effort to introduce excise duty on Telecommunications. When VAT was increased to 7.5 per cent, I was not consulted.
” I only heard the announcement and I think there is something questionable and I am glad that we are on the same page with our National Assembly members.
“They too have not been consulted despite the fact that they are part of the committee,” the minister reportedly said.
2023: Bauchi govt, APC guber candidate Saddique clash over alleged plot to recruit 1,000 thugs
Osun-Osogbo festival: Despite proven contamination, devotees drink from Osun river
41 dead as fire engulfs church in Egypt
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
American preacher, Creflo Dollar confesses he misled congregants, says tithing not biblical + Video
[UPDATED]Conflicting Reports Over Viral Video Of Soldiers Evacuating ‘Bandits’ In Kaduna + Video
Lagos mother fights off suspected ritualist attempting to abduct kids + VIDEO
Business1 week ago
Nigeria Secures $1.5bn Loan From US to Boost Solar Power Infrastructure
metro1 week ago
Why Abuja-Kaduna train victims still in captivity, by ex-negotiator
Business6 days ago
Agric budgets hit N874.83bn, food imports gulp N7.81tn
metro1 week ago
Woman sleeps with 40 men to mark her 40th birthday + Video
metro1 week ago
Lagos policemen, sheriffs invade house, destroy N500m property
Sports7 days ago
Golden Sunday for Nigeria as Brume takes country CWG gold medals to 12
Auto1 week ago
Multi-billion naira NADDC land, imported equipment rot away, says ex-agency boss
News1 week ago
Nigerian applicants to US varsities groan over visa appointment hurdles