One-chance robbers kidnap Lagos commuter, steal life savings – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

One-chance robbers kidnap Lagos commuter, steal life savings

Published

on

Olamide Azeez

A woman, Olamide Azeez, has sought help after suspected one-chance robbers stole her life savings at Ikosi, in the Ketu area of Lagos State.

The victim said she boarded a cab from Toll Gate, Ikosi, while heading for work at Victroria Island around 6am on Friday, September 29, 2022.

She noted that no sooner had she entered the car than the assailants beat her up and robbed her of her ATM card.

“They made away with my life savings — all N910,000; my iPhone XR, N4,300 cash, earrings, wristwatch, and Oraimo EarPods,” she added.

Azeez, who narrated her ordeal on Twitter, said the money was withdrawn at point-of-sale terminals between 6.45am and 7am, while holding her hostage.

She further provided contact details of the registered owner of the PoS.

READ ALSO:

PUNCH Metro learnt that the case was reported at the Alausa and Ikoyi police stations on September 30, 2022.

However, the victim said nothing had been done by the police since she made the report.

“I am traumatised, helpless, and I do not know what to do. Where do I start from? It took me years to save that much, and to see it wiped all at one go! Please come to my aid. Can the names on the PoS be tracked? Can I get my money back? Please help,” she added.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, when contacted, said state laws forbade the police from tracking people’s bank accounts without the consent of their lawyers.

He said, “In this case, the victim should approach her lawyer, who will in turn go to the police for a duplicate of her statement, which the police will readily provide. She will get a court order and from there other necessary steps will be taken. Without these, nothing significant will be done, except visiting the crime scene and other sorts of frontline investigations.”

metro

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos, said repair works on the Independence Bridge will continue.

Sanwo-Olu also apologised to residents for the hours-long gridlock experienced due to the rehabilitation of the bridge.

Commuters and motorists spent hours in traffic on April 2 due to the closure of the bridge in the Victoria Island area.

Following public outcry, David Umahi, minister of works, ordered the immediate reopening of the bridge.

Speaking on Thursday during the inspection of the bridge, Sanwo-Olu said the state takes full responsibility for the gridlock.

The governor noted that the repair is for the good of the city, as the bridge — which is one of the oldest in the country — had begun to fail.

He urged residents to support the state government as there is never a good time to carry out road repairs.

“First, I think what is appropriate is to tender apology to all our citizens and to all Lagosians for a very difficult heinous traffic that we experienced in the last 24 hours within the city and the Island of Lagos,” Sanwo-Olu said.

READ ALSO:

“There is never a best time to solve a difficult problem like this. Any time you do it, there would be discomfort. Let’s bite the bullet and come out of this better.

“I think the apology is important so that we can take full responsibility as government both at the national and subnational level, for taking our citizens through an unfortunate incident.

“It was all for a good cause, it is all to avert future disaster waiting to happen. You know how life is — there is never a best time for you to do all you want to do, there will always be challenges even if you think it is the best time.

“This contract has been signed over three years ago; our duty is to preserve the integrity of the Independence Bridge — which is like one of the oldest bridges in the country.”

The governor added that traffic will be managed and diverted during the rehabilitation.

“If you don’t have business to do in Victoria Island in the next two to three weeks, conduct your business via social media, telephone, zoom meetings, online meetings, let’s plan ahead,” he said.

“If you don’t need to come and visit somebody here, you don’t have to come.

“You are going to see a lot of LASTMA officers on the road, we are calling them from other parts of the city to come here.”

Sanwo-Olu also appealed to residents not to drive against traffic or drive recklessly during the rehabilitation period.

Independence Bridge repairs: Sanwo-Olu urges Lagos residents to work remotely

Continue Reading

metro

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

Published

on

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

The Lagos State Police Command has taken a Chinese national into custody for allegedly affixing a counterfeit diplomatic number plate to his vehicle while visiting the United States Embassy in Victoria Island.

The suspect, identified as 40-year-old Lei Lu, was arrested on April 3, 2025, following a tip-off from a concerned citizen.

Police sources say the report came in around 12:17 p.m., shortly after the man was spotted at the embassy premises earlier that morning.

READ ALSO:

Responding swiftly, detectives from the command arrived at the scene and detained the individual. His vehicle, displaying the fraudulent plate marked 138-CD-46—typically reserved for British diplomatic missions—was also seized.

During questioning, Lu reportedly failed to produce any documentation authorizing the use of the diplomatic tag. Officers documented the evidence, including photographic records of the plate and vehicle.

Authorities say an investigation is underway to uncover the reason behind the impersonation and assess any potential threats posed by the act.

 

Chinese man found with fake diplomatic number plate in Lagos

Continue Reading

metro

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Published

on

Senate President Godswill Akpabio and Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has said he will take legal action against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan over claims that he planned to have her killed.

In a statement released on Friday by his media aide, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio said he would not be distracted by what he called a campaign of lies and misinformation.

“As a statesman devoted to national unity and democratic values, I will not be distracted by malicious falsehoods or inflammatory rhetoric,” the statement quoted.

Eyiboh said official letters are being prepared for both Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan and former Senator Elisha Abbo. The letters demand public apologies, retractions, and compensation for damage to Akpabio’s reputation.

Recall that Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan during an event in Kogi State on April 1, 2025 claimed that Akpabio hired former Governor Yahaya Bello to assassinate her.
READ ALSO:

Reacting, Eyiboh reminded the public that Senator Natasha had made similar accusations in the past, including ones she later withdrew without explanation.

“Her recurring pattern of false accusations, including similar claims in 2019 and 2023 against other public figures, reveals a troubling exploitation of victimhood narratives for personal and political gain,” it added.

The statement also addressed comments made by former Senator Elisha Abbo during an interview on April 2, where he accused Akpabio of influencing the court to remove him from office. Eyiboh said Abbo had already apologized in 2023 for making similar claims, admitting that they were based on false assumptions.

“His new claims regarding being denied entitlements are also categorically false. Senate entitlements are processed administratively and not at the discretion of the Senate President,” the statement said.

Eyiboh suggested the timing of these accusations may be politically motivated, with the aim of damaging the image of the Senate and its leadership.

“These individuals, possibly backed by hidden interests, appear united in a desperate attempt to undermine the Senate and its leadership,” he said.

 

Akpabio to sue Natasha for alleged assassination attempt

Continue Reading

Trending